ForumsGamesImmorTall...

21 14757
Bronze
Bronze
2,417 posts
Shepherd

Is it even a game?

*spoilers*

I played the first time and I kept the people alive until I just dropped dead. Figuring I did something wrong, I played it again and let the people die and still managed to fall over dead in very same spot.

Ok I know, before you guys say anything, that ImmorTall has a deep message and all, but that still doesn't make it a game. It last all of 2 minutes and from what I can tell, and letting the people die doesn't matter.

So I'll ask again. Is ImmorTall a game?

• 21 Replies
Faunbard
Faunbard
650 posts
Nomad

dude i have NO idea, ask a leader or look it up thats my advice

justsomeone777
justsomeone777
13 posts
Nomad

Somewhere in the game, I was told to use a "shield" but I cant find the button for it

nitewalker11
nitewalker11
17 posts
Nomad

Even though it's not very long, it was a very moving experience for me, more poetic then anything else. A game or not, it deserves some credit, for being so beautiful.

@justsomeone777-
your body is the shield, there is no button for it.

Faunbard
Faunbard
650 posts
Nomad

so is it a game?
idk

RivCA
RivCA
4 posts
Nomad

Who knows? I'm hitting the 'Net to find out for sure.

madpixelante
madpixelante
15 posts
Nomad

More important questions to consider:

-Does it matter if it's a game?
-Why or why not?

SoldierGamer
SoldierGamer
3 posts
Nomad

It's a game alright. A very depressing one, and one that's very limited, but it's still a game with a deep message. Sadly, I can't make it to the end. I alwaysDie...

Gantic
Gantic
11,892 posts
King

You live if you go back to your ship, which can only be done once the background turns gray again (i.e. walking across the battlefield.)

Is ImmorTall a game?

I would say that these interactive stories are games. If not that, it's entertainment. Describing it as a maze with walls probably won't help my point, but the pathways are restricted and there is a goal. Whether or not that goal is fulfilling or entirely anticlimactic is another point.

-Does it matter if it's a game?
-Why or why not?

I don't mind interactive stories.

I am more irritated by the superficial depth presented in the story. With little interaction, it's like a short film that makes absolutely no sense whatsoever except as a glimpse into something that is supposedly deep and meaningful. The sense of innocence is fully erased by the fact that it makes no sense for combatants to so fitfully engorge themselves on a band of defenseless travelers who don't seem to know where they're going if they're following a giant alien into a battlefield. And the pathetic fallacy is uninspired.
Parsat
Parsat
2,180 posts
Blacksmith

I found it an interesting allegory for...well, I suppose knowing me you could probably guess.

nozo_ito
nozo_ito
266 posts
Farmer

Still, I was very disappointed to get roughly the same ending as all people died or all people saved as you move only forward.

And there is no replay button or achievement showroom, so that no one knows wheather it is possible to unlock other endings.

I'd say concept is fine, but the features in the game stinks.

Dannydaninja
Dannydaninja
948 posts
Nomad

Most people's comments are: HOW TO YOU USE SHIELD!?!?!?

And i'm like, " Noobs, when they say sheild they mean shield the family ".

I think it's a masterpiece of art... not a game but a interactive story like Gantic suggested. So yeah, i gave it 10/10 and added it to faves.

duhman0919
duhman0919
131 posts
Nomad

i think it's just a message put into an interactive scene

Reton8
Reton8
3,173 posts
King

I am more irritated by the superficial depth presented in the story. With little interaction, it's like a short film that makes absolutely no sense whatsoever except as a glimpse into something that is supposedly deep and meaningful. The sense of innocence is fully erased by the fact that it makes no sense for combatants to so fitfully engorge themselves on a band of defenseless travelers who don't seem to know where they're going if they're following a giant alien into a battlefield. And the pathetic fallacy is uninspired.

I totally agree. The plot is full of holes and pretty much senseless.

*spoilers*

Well now that I know you can go back into the ship and leave, I guess I wouldn't have given such a harsh rating (5/10).

You can either decide to help the family or leave which may be some sort of "in depth" "moral lesson".
mwn3d
mwn3d
53 posts
Jester

its not a game. its pretty much a waste. if you want a nice poetic story go watch a movie. im here to blow stuff up.

madpixelante
madpixelante
15 posts
Nomad

I am more irritated by the superficial depth presented in the story.

Glad to move on from the 'game' labeling debate
Let's pursue this angle more.

Questions:
-What was the story?

-Do you believe that everyone who thinks it has a meaningful message is an idiot? That anyone who finds it beautiful is blind?

-Would you go up to a family that lost a loved one in war and tell them that a story about someone sacrificing themselves to protect others is superficial?

-What are you referring to by the 'athetic fallacy'? That he was not immortal? Are you sure he wasn't immortal? Would it change your opinion of the story if he was?
Showing 1-15 of 21