ForumsWEPRidea of a shadow goverment

53 10384
daswiftarrow
daswiftarrow
873 posts
Nomad

so i was reading the other day about the idea of a shadow goverment, and basicly how every politician is basicly controlled by the "dark side" of the goverment, what do people think of it?

• 53 Replies
Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

(On the same token people rebel against power to empower themselves- and rebel against popular ideas to feel smart)

I think there is a slight difference between those who seek power for the sake of power (e.g. tyrants) and those who seek powerful people for the sake of security (probably a greater majority).

Strategy_guy
Strategy_guy
290 posts
Nomad

I think thats the best way for a dictator to start or for the government to get full power. Like with Napoleon, he made everyone believe they still had a say in the way things are done but slowly he become an absoulute ruler. With democracy it is actually very simple to win and keep full power.

daswiftarrow
daswiftarrow
873 posts
Nomad

actuly i belive in a republic, i still like the idea of people deciding what happens, but some people can be slightly ignorant, and with a mass population of ignorant people voting on one thing, then it may not work out, like the war in iraq, people are trying to get soldiers out, well if we do get out then the new gvoerment over there will fall easily to the taliban/al-queada, and then we will have made no prgress, and then we will be even more vulnerable to attack

daswiftarrow
daswiftarrow
873 posts
Nomad

serj tankian's song, the unthinking majority may help explain

Strategy_guy
Strategy_guy
290 posts
Nomad

I dislike republics for two reasons: easily corruptable and inneffeciant. The idea of a Republic, in my opnion, is a goverment where everyone votes on an issue to get the best for everyone. Unfortunatly humans want whats best for themselves and a republic quickly becomes innefficent.

Republics also become corrupted easly, well I suppose this is for any government really, and people begin to think of themselves and money more than the Republic they serve. Rome is a perfect example of this.

I like Imperial government and Monarchys with small bodies of repersentives the most

daswiftarrow
daswiftarrow
873 posts
Nomad

well with republicans, like you said they want whats best for them, and they want to keep their jobs, so we can send letters, emails, to politicians from your state, and it may influence him to vote on what it is they way people prefer it, this way he can keep his job, and still alot of people get what they want, while it is still a smart person still making the decisions

Strategy_guy
Strategy_guy
290 posts
Nomad

Maybe it will influence our repersentive but there are still 49 more, if we're talking about the U.S., which want what is better for the people in that state for the same reasons that you just stated. Republics to me seem incefficent and, for lack of a better word, very fickle.

daswiftarrow
daswiftarrow
873 posts
Nomad

well actully there sometimes are more than 1 representative to a state, my state has 2

Strategy_guy
Strategy_guy
290 posts
Nomad

You understand my point though.

daswiftarrow
daswiftarrow
873 posts
Nomad

and yes people may want just whats best for that state, but as a whole, it may add up and benefit a majority of America, if one of the democratic canidates in the presidential race ends up taking troops out of iraq, then no one will benefit, because in a month or two they will all be back over there again

Strategy_guy
Strategy_guy
290 posts
Nomad

Thats why, hopefully, the Iraqi government will be able to support itself by the time of the election but I beleive it would be better to have a more centralized goverment. Keep congress intact and senante if you want but give the president more power. It might also have more people praticipate in the democratic process to know that the person you are electing has a lot of power over the country.

daswiftarrow
daswiftarrow
873 posts
Nomad

that may be a good idea strategy guy, but the reason im saying that the iraqi goverment won't hold is because it is new and is ecspecially vulnerable (ecspecially because they are in the middle of a hostile area) and 1 or 2 terrorist attacks will scare the iraqi leaders into surrendering

Strategy_guy
Strategy_guy
290 posts
Nomad

Well first of all I think that it was a mistake going in there but thats all said and done. I think what we should do there is not one big pull back and leave the government by itself but slowly give more responsiblity to the government and help it grow and then eventually we should be able to leave it to fend for itself, I beleive that this is what they are doing right now.

Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

With democracy it is actually very simple to win and keep full power.

Well, I'd like you to go into more detail on this bit!

I'd like to point out also that this is a very interesting contrast to the Machiavellian ideals of gaining power completely conquering...or is it really all that different? >

daswiftarrow
daswiftarrow
873 posts
Nomad

that exactly what im saying, but i do think we may want to take troops out of places that we have already gotten done in, like germany, we are still there from WW2

Showing 16-30 of 53