ForumsPopular Mediaadults thinking popl and rap are the only type of music

23 6232
daswiftarrow
daswiftarrow
873 posts
Nomad

at my school it seems that the faculty are in denial that rock/metal even exist, and only listen to the rap persuasion. i am kind of annoyed that at dances and party (the few we have) that the school throws that all they will play is soulja boy, and the mainstream rap artists. while all of the metal lovers will be in the back trying to ignore the music

• 23 Replies
daswiftarrow
daswiftarrow
873 posts
Nomad

woops, sorry for the typo in pop

Sting
Sting
266 posts
Peasant

Wow, really? Because most adults, if anything, do not consider rap to even be music. And by adults, I mean people over the age of thirty-five, not some twenty year old. Personally, I do not consider rap to be music either, since it takes no vocal talent and most of the rappers have no instrumental talent either.

daswiftarrow
daswiftarrow
873 posts
Nomad

well what im saying is that they are not considering to play music that everyone likes, not just the one that one group of people likes

Sting
Sting
266 posts
Peasant

I guess you have a point, but it would not really seem like a friendly school party with some blaring metal-head music in the background. Might be alright at a concert where everyone likes that sort of music, but not at a school event.

Ithingar
Ithingar
2 posts
Nomad

And I doubt the school would seem friendly if rap was blaring.

You could organize a petition for the school to play metal, the faculty would probably listen if you showed them that a great deal of students wanted the school to diversify the music it plays at it's sanctioned events

daswiftarrow
daswiftarrow
873 posts
Nomad

that may be true lthingar, thing is when i would submit a prefered song, not even metal, even classics like welcome to the jungle, were not gonna take it, and back in black were rejected, and even when i submitted preferals for popular stuff like fall out boy (i hate them, too emo) would get rejected, one time they played the barbie song when i had prefered freebird

Sting
Sting
266 posts
Peasant

Haha yeah not like rap is a friendly sort of music either, but I was just saying metal is probably less friendly. But Ithingar is right, if you had a petition the school would probably concur.

Sting
Sting
266 posts
Peasant

They... rejected freebird? Those b-astards, no offense. Seriously, they rejected all those songs? I guess you do have a strange faculty there, at least music-preference wise. But still, if you got a bundle of people to agree with you, then maybe the school will listen.

daswiftarrow
daswiftarrow
873 posts
Nomad

well technically we can't petition the school, since they hire a local d.j. to come and play music, so it's really not the school faculty playing it

daswiftarrow
daswiftarrow
873 posts
Nomad

haha ya, it suprises me too

nick_coolhaha
nick_coolhaha
1,197 posts
Herald

Well, if you think about it, metal isn't really much of a shcool friendly type of music. I guess the faculty think that it's too angry sounding and they just don't like it. I think that they should have seperated parties, for different types of music. Maybe one for rap, and one for metal.

daswiftarrow
daswiftarrow
873 posts
Nomad

well what the faculty don't listen to is the lyrics, like they will play "candy shop", while the classics, and alot of new metal don't degrade women, and tend not to use offensive language as much

XCoheedX
XCoheedX
924 posts
Scribe

Well most people request those pop and rap songs because you can dance to them. Girls can grinding and all of that. No intent to be rude or anything, but I can't say no to that! lol. Of course I also think that rap isn't even music. It is more like talking in rhythm.

daswiftarrow
daswiftarrow
873 posts
Nomad

ya, well if people would actuly listen to rock and metal, someone may think of something, plus we don't have to make up a new dance for each song, we have one, its called the HEADBANG!!!

nick_coolhaha
nick_coolhaha
1,197 posts
Herald

Yeah, but headbanging just seems too hardcore for school and I guess the faculty doesn't consider it dancing. Well, I must stick to the idea that they should have seperate parites for different types of music.

Showing 1-15 of 23