ForumsSupport ForumDo making Walkthroughs Deserve a Merit?

35 6320
Royadin
Royadin
541 posts
Peasant

If Making walkthroughs Deserve a Merit, Why does no one get any? I mean, I make two Extensive walkthroughs, but no one gave me anything.... what is the point of making a walkthrough then?

• 35 Replies
ymmit
ymmit
45 posts
Jester

yes you should get a merit for making a walkthrough

Elitemagical
Elitemagical
1,208 posts
Nomad

Informative walkthroughs should get you a merit, but making walkthroughs should not just be about getting a merit.

tommy5649946
tommy5649946
95 posts
Nomad

only a walkthough that you write the video ones no

ulimitedpower
ulimitedpower
1,739 posts
Nomad

If I were you, don't ask for a merit, as it increases your chances of getting one.

I like this idea, as when people take their time to write long, extensive walkthroughs, it's like writing a very long, detailed merit. In a sense, it should be rewarded.

But like merits, it should also be limited and the standards high. It should encourage users to write good walkthroughs.

BeastMode10
BeastMode10
374 posts
Nomad

The mods should hand pick merit-worthy walkthroughs. However, they already have a lot of time on their hands with meriting comments, and adding walkthroughs to their list of chores may not be the best idea.

Armpit
Armpit
784 posts
Nomad

It would mean the mods would have to check if the walkthrough is at least 95% correct. Otherwise, some merit-hungry trickster may just post a huge bunch of misinformation for a game nobody can beat, and get a merit for it because the mods believe the walkthrough is accurate.

Now, a video walkthrough should definitely get one, because they often require hours of editing as well as beating the entire game and proving it. The only flaw in that is that there's no way of proving that the submitter of the walkthrough actually created the walkthrough, which is probably one reason why this feature has not yet been added.

MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,747 posts
King

Just like ulimitedpower stated... if you ask for one, it probably will NOT happen... :S

But I agree it's a nice suggestion, nothing more...

ulimitedpower
ulimitedpower
1,739 posts
Nomad

However, they already have a lot of time on their hands with meriting comments, and adding walkthroughs to their list of chores may not be the best idea.

Then again, they could quickly sift through walkthroughs, and then move to comments when doing their duties. And you only need one mod to give up about 30 mins meant for comments at most.
It would mean the mods would have to check if the walkthrough is at least 95% correct

They can also rely on feedback from users in that thread, as they will most likely find the flaws in them.
Now, a video walkthrough should definitely get one, because they often require hours of editing as well as beating the entire game and proving it. The only flaw in that is that there's no way of proving that the submitter of the walkthrough actually created the walkthrough, which is probably one reason why this feature has not yet been added.

That's true, and I think those walkthroughs shouldn't get merits, as they can be unreliable...
chitown
chitown
1,615 posts
Farmer

If it a good walkthrough then yes, but I wouldn't want everyone making one just because they want 25 more AP.

Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,507 posts
Jester

The problem with walkthroughs is that only one person is allowed to make one and keep it. Reviews are fine; many people can make reviews, they have their own opinions of said game, and they also have to wait just like everyone else for their merit. Walktroughs are one time for one game, the user who made it gets a merit up-front, and others are congratulating him for his merit on the walkthough, but since others wanted to make one, they are secretly hating his guts for it.

plokkey
plokkey
4,572 posts
Jester

I agree, what's wrong with just taking some "thanks?"

MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,747 posts
King

Agreed there Freakenstein and plokkey!

The Walkthrough is something you get aknowlegded for and praised, if it's a good one...
if it's not, then you probably shot yourself in da foot there! Whoops! o_O

Still, like I said earlier, now that you asked for the merit, it will probably (surely, definitely!) NOT happen...

Asking for a merit is like placing a large 'L'-shaped piece of steaming hot iron to your forehead for the admins and mods to see! Tsk tsk, poor soul... :/

DrOctagonapusBLARGgg
DrOctagonapusBLARGgg
2 posts
Nomad

For your information why should you get merit for making a walkthrough it doesnt make any thing good amd its only for good things

loloynage2
loloynage2
4,211 posts
Peasant

For your information why should you get merit for making a walkthrough it doesnt make any thing good amd its only for good things

what? how is a walkthrough bad?

And yes, a very well made walkthrougt should get a merit.
sourwhatup2
sourwhatup2
3,660 posts
Jester

There are very good walkthroughs that aren't video and maybe they should deserve merits.. Some are very clean.. and As I'd like to say polished enough so it's basically attractive to the human eye.

Such as labeling each part.. etc. Also pictures help too..

I guess it would only be fair if someone made an outstanding walkthrough.. But oh well that's AG's decision eh?

Showing 1-15 of 35