ForumsThe TavernDo bad things happen in threes?

22 3392
Pazx
Pazx
5,845 posts
Peasant

Bad things happen in groups of three for me. It's really annoying > >

I smash my bedside light and glass goes everywhere. 2 nights on, Mum's favourite tea-cup is smashed. Mum has friends over and a champaign glass is smashed.

No more smashing for awhile.

I break my arm. Then, my brother and dad run themselves over (not too serious), narrowly missing me. Three injuries, nothing more (I hope)

Why does this happen? Does it happen to you?

• 22 Replies
TexanProvo
TexanProvo
408 posts
Nomad

It's human nature to try and find patterns in random occurances, even if there are none there. Bad things happen in ones, twos and so on not just threes. People just like to be able to fit everything into organized groups, just our nature. You can find a pattern in just about anything.

firetail_madness
firetail_madness
20,591 posts
Blacksmith

This is the same superstition as third time's the charm.

samy
samy
4,871 posts
Nomad

Generally when one bad thing happens were, understandably, in a crappy mood so some normally okay things might seem kind of bad resulting in the three negative things. Also like Provo was saying we like patterns so the normality of threes would be nice if bad things were occurring.

knight_34
knight_34
13,822 posts
Farmer

Bad things happen always. Superstition is bull. People like pointing out patterns. People want explanations.

And because bad things always happens, because people always recognize patterns in things and because people always want explanations, you get things such as the superstition described in this thread.

Anyway, I'm sure most of us would be able to find patterns in the unfortunate occurrences of our daily lives.

jezz
jezz
3,337 posts
Farmer

because people always want explanations, you get things such as the superstition described in this thread

Superstition is not an explanation, its an idea put about because many things in this world can't be explained. Superstition is not bull. If it is, you're saying millions of people on earth are bs'ing themselves? There's more than one way of thinking y'know. You can't put everyone in the same box.
Showing 16-20 of 22