ForumsWEPRExtinct Animals

13 5047
crazynaitor
crazynaitor
2,612 posts
Jester

Does anybody know any extinct animals?I only know two Dinosaurs and Dragons.Is there anymore?

• 13 Replies
Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

Depending on what kind of 'dragon' you're talking about, the fantasy varieties are just that. Otherwise the Komodo dragon is very much alive today.

Species go extinct all the time- there are hundreds and thousands of them, insects, animals, plants alike, that we aren't even aware of, and might never be. This is part of a natural turnover due to competition between species- and the debate largely centers on how responsible we humans are for shifting the balance of such things.

Some other notable extinct species include the dodo (a flightless, rather daft bird hunted to extinction for its meat), and the thycaline (better known as the Tasmanian tiger, also overhunted to extinction).

opentotruth
opentotruth
473 posts
Peasant

well i guess it depends on if u beilive dragons were real or not. I think they were but the do-do bird im pretty sure is one and the sabbertooth cat

crazynaitor
crazynaitor
2,612 posts
Jester

Well I think that elephants are nearly extinct.

opentotruth
opentotruth
473 posts
Peasant

ya i think snow leppords to are getting pretty close

crazynaitor
crazynaitor
2,612 posts
Jester

Snow Lepords I have never heard of them

Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

Heavens, crazy, open an encyclopaedia of animals or something!

I think we kinda moved onto talking about endangered species here, of which there are thousands that we keep an eye on, including elephants, giant pandas, snow leopards and several species of whale. Because if they die out, then they become extinct!

Most of the species that lived in the prehistoric era, like dinosaurs, sabre-toothed tigers, wooly mammoths, either evolved or have become extinct, yes.

crazynaitor
crazynaitor
2,612 posts
Jester

Oh okay I am just guessing.Thanks Strop.

Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

Oh hey, Wikipedia has like a whole section on this topic.

There ya go, this should start you off :P

crazynaitor
crazynaitor
2,612 posts
Jester

Oh great that helps.I will read it later.

garifu
garifu
145 posts
Shepherd

Coelocanth! thought to be extinct thousands of years ago, but it showed up off the coast of Madagascar! If we're lucky (we're not) some of the extinct animals are just "hiding". Every so often there is a thylacine siting...

On endangered species, seems like the biggest threat is habitat destruction. It affects all animals at once, and it moves at a rapid pace.

And finally, some animals (like Strop noted) are yet to be found! A small mammal was found on Borneo few years ago, not sure if it was identified yet; and a known leopard was discovered to be a new species (GO BORNEO!)

Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

On endangered species, seems like the biggest threat is habitat destruction. It affects all animals at once, and it moves at a rapid pace.

So from this, y'all now know why deforestation is such a big deal.

crazynaitor
crazynaitor
2,612 posts
Jester

If we are talking about endagered species.I think one is elephant.

Hammered
Hammered
9 posts
Nomad

We are NOT talking about endagerd animals we are talking about extinxt animals.

Gosh I think that polar bears are.

Showing 1-13 of 13