ForumsWEPRPoland's President, killed in plane crash, who will replace him?

31 7427
wajor59
wajor59
909 posts
Nomad

Lech Kaczynski, Poland's president, his wife and several other high-ranking government officials were also aboard the aged Tupolev Tu-154, that crashed, about 2km (1.3miles) from the airport in Smolensk, in Russia.

Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin called Polish Prime Minister Donald Tusk and both men visited the crash scene.

The president's role may have been symbolic but, he can veto government legislation. The speaker of the lower house of parliament, Bronislaw Komorowski, has been named acting president, under polish constitutional law until an emergency presidential election will take place. Normally, elections are held in October but have been pushed up to two months from now.

What's the big deal, you might ask? Why does this affect Americans?

Along with the president, the central bank governor, the chief of Poland's military and Deputy Foreign Minister all were on board the same plane, there were no survivors.

Analysts told Reuter's reporter's that Polish markets would not be severely affected. Additional quote by Goldman Sachs is in the article.

I found a very interesting article that helps to explain some of my concern with a country that I view as being 'olitically and financially vulnerable.

What do you think?

article 1

article 2

article 3

article 4

• 31 Replies
thelistman
thelistman
1,416 posts
Shepherd

A shocking day for Poland. The President, several advisers, many members of their Parliament (Sejm), and many cabinet members were all on board.

Anyways, the "Marshall of the Sejm" (Like the Speaker of the House in US terms) takes over the presidency. Within 60 days, they will have new presidential elections. The President of Poland doesn't have much power. Most of the decisions are at the hands of the Prime Minister. So there won't be any sort of power vacuum or political unrest over the crash.

Ernie15
Ernie15
13,349 posts
Bard

Wait, so Poland has no vice president? That's a bit strange. Maybe in their next election, a vice president should run on both sides?

thelistman
thelistman
1,416 posts
Shepherd

Wait, so Poland has no vice president? That's a bit strange. Maybe in their next election, a vice president should run on both sides?

They don't have a Presidential Republic nor a position for Vice President in the constitution. They are a Parliamentary Democracy, where the Prime Minister has most of the power. They have a Prime Minister and Deputy (Vice) Prime Minister. Constitutionally, the Head of the Parliament takes over when the President dies, retires, becomes incapacitated, etc. That's how their system works.

FireflyIV
FireflyIV
3,224 posts
Nomad

Since when was putting half your chain of command on a soviet era plane and sending them to a remote location not a good idea? I would suggest sabotage if it wasn't so obviously stupid.

WexMajor82
WexMajor82
1,026 posts
Nomad

For what we know, and what russians will not tell, they could have even shoot down.

wajor59
wajor59
909 posts
Nomad

Since when was putting half your chain of command on a soviet era plane and sending them to a remote location not a good idea? I would suggest sabotage if it wasn't so obviously stupid.

That was my reason for posting this story! Something doesn't smell right in the kitchen...

For what we know, and what russians will not tell, they could have even shoot down.

That's possible. I read another article that said Russia, US and China were in the recent habit of holding 'closed/locked door' meetings at the newly constructed part of the UN. Telling the other delegates, "There isn't enough room to hold everyone." What a 'Palosi' thing to say!
valkery
valkery
1,255 posts
Nomad

No one will replace him for a while, the country will go into shock, a power from a neigboring nation will try to assume power, the US will get in volved in another war, and then the antichrist comes and destroys the world.

firetail_madness
firetail_madness
20,591 posts
Blacksmith

The article through which I read told of pilot error, and that the Russians warned about airport conditions and told them to go to another airport, but the pilot didn't comply.

FireflyIV
FireflyIV
3,224 posts
Nomad

That was my reason for posting this story! Something doesn't smell right in the kitchen...

I don't think a Russian conspiracy or anything of the sort is at hand. Merely the incompetence of an administration with not enough cash for proper equipment. Still it's a blessing in disguise. For all the sadness associated with the deaths of the advisors and family members of the Katyn massacre onboard, Kaczynski was an anti semite and antagonistic fool. For the Polish people, this is a blessing in disguise.
thelistman
thelistman
1,416 posts
Shepherd

The Russian air controllers told the pilot he was flying too low. He refused to increase altitude and hit a mountain. It was pilot error. Now if Russia doesn't make the investigation 100% transparent, then there will be room for doubt. But that does not seem to be the case right now.

For all the sadness associated with the deaths of the advisors and family members of the Katyn massacre onboard, Kaczynski was an anti semite and antagonistic fool.

Maybe you should get your facts straight before you look like a jerk. He did have some right wing opinions on economics, but he was fairly liberal on social policy.

http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/1162073.html

woody_7007
woody_7007
2,662 posts
Peasant

Maybe you should get your facts straight before you look like a jerk.

Aside from the fact he appointed various holocaust deniers to his government, joined with far right coalitions in the eu parliament and was constantly scapegoating the russians for all of polands problems. Yea a real saint.
thelistman
thelistman
1,416 posts
Shepherd

Name one Holocaust denier he appointed to his government. You couldn't do it because there aren't any. In fact, it would be impossible to appoint Holocaust deniers to his government because Holocaust denial is illegal in Poland. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laws_against_Holocaust_denial#Poland)

He was a staunch critic of Holocaust deniers (http://www.ejpress.org/article/13477). The only tie he ever had to Holocaust deniers was when he invite the president of Iran to a conference.

And while he blamed Russia for many of Poland's problems, he had some legitimate reasons. Even then, it's just an opinion. It's not like he murdered anyone. I'm not sure where you get your information. Please enlighten me. Otherwise, it just looks like blind hate.

woody_7007
woody_7007
2,662 posts
Peasant

Within the coalition of his government, including his minister for education there were anti semites and opposers of gay rights. In the eu, the broad coalition of conservative parties is headed by an anti semite and also oppose gay rights. Perhaps he needed their support to form a government, but his death shouldnt mask the fact that he either was anti semitic himself, or had no problem compromising his principles in order to stay in power.

And while he blamed Russia for many of Poland's problems, he had some legitimate reasons

Such as? In the past few years, as im sure you are awae, russia have been becoming more aggressive in terms of energy supply to europe and foreign policy. Blaming current problems on what the russians did 70 years ago is just dangerous populism. Ironically britain is the source of most of polands current ills, but its pretty hard to persuade ordinary poles of that.
thelistman
thelistman
1,416 posts
Shepherd

Within the coalition of his government, including his minister for education there were anti semites and opposers of gay rights. In the eu, the broad coalition of conservative parties is headed by an anti semite and also oppose gay rights.

Really!?!? Poland is arguably Europe's most conservative country. Of course you're going to have anti gay marriage supporters everywhere. And again, I searched the internet for a while and couldn't find any sort of link to Kaczynski and anti-Semitism. Please provide me with something. Otherwise, you just have blind hate. Kaczynski was the first Polish president to go to a religious service in a Synagogue in 70+ years.

Such as? In the past few years, as im sure you are aware, russia have been becoming more aggressive in terms of energy supply to europe and foreign policy.[i]

I think you answered the question. Russia's energy policy is quite aggressive and forceful. Russia also threatened embargo when Poland wanted to host the US's missile defense shield. Russia threatens Poland quite a bit.

[i]Blaming current problems on what the russians did 70 years ago is just dangerous populism.

Not really. Many actions from hundreds of years ago still cause pain to this day. Look at slavery in the US. It ended 140+ years ago, and African Americans are still far from equal in our society.

So many people blame the US for problems around the world (which are often correct). So why is it not okay to blame other countries? Soviet policies of oppression and extreme state power still have ramifications in some Eastern Bloc countries. It's not a stretch at all to say Russia is responsible for problems to this day.

Drace
Drace
3,880 posts
Nomad

[i]Blaming current problems on what the russians did 70 years ago is just dangerous populism.

Today's problems can be traced back hundreds of years, if not thousands of years.

Racism and slavery are on obvious one.

And what Spain and the US did to the Native Americans, obviously still effects today's conditions of Mexicans, Indians, and other Latin Americans.

Really!?!? Poland is arguably Europe's most conservative country.

Oh yes, they banned the hammer and sickle symbol
Showing 1-15 of 31