ForumsWEPR"What is the What"

5 3367
ubertuna
ubertuna
2,123 posts
Shepherd

I recently read this book by Dave Eggers. It made me realise how lucky people like you, and me, and everybody else here are. This book tells the true story of Valentino Achak Deng, a refugee who escaped from the war in Sudan when he was just a child. Loosing his home, friends, and family in the war, he makes his way to America. The so-called land of oppertunity. This story struck a cord in me, I was almost in tears after reading what Valentino has endured. He has seen his home town of Marial Bai burned to the ground. He has seen fellow children shot by government soldiers and eaten by lions. He has seen hundreds of people die of disease. He has endured all of this, just for a place in the lower class U.S. If anybody else has read this amazing account, I would like to hear your opinions on it. You can go here to find out more about Valentino Achak Deng:

[url]http://www.valentinoachakdeng.org/preface.php[/url]

• 5 Replies
jeff28yo
jeff28yo
3 posts
Nomad

dos any 1 no how to talk to the lower ppl
i really want to go to there chat

ubertuna
ubertuna
2,123 posts
Shepherd

Why did you post that here? It's completely unrelated. Anyway, you can't talk to other ranks. Please stay on topic.

crazynaitor
crazynaitor
2,612 posts
Jester

@jeff28yo you can only talk to your own rank in the chat room I am not able to talk to you because I have duke/duchess and you have lower than that.

@UbertunaI have not heard of that Tuna but it must be a good book is it?

ubertuna
ubertuna
2,123 posts
Shepherd

Define "good."

Asherlee
Asherlee
5,014 posts
Shepherd

It is tragic the things that other people will go through and make it out okay. The things he went through (from what you just told me) help me in knowing my struggles could be a lot worse. People need to be inspired like that every once in a while.

I know that as 1st class citizens we do take many, many things for granted. Hell, even having the leisure time to visit this site we should be grateful for, instead of having to out run a lion.

Showing 1-5 of 5