ForumsWEPRWhy do people really care

41 8907
Devoidless
Devoidless
3,675 posts
Jester

..if someone is religious or not.

It is not as if someone who is atheist is going to steal your first born child.

It is not as if someone of the faith is going to tie you down and convert you.

Granted, not all people care that much about what the person believes, but more of what they say.

It seems that a lot of people of the faith take it personally when an atheist says something against the religion, pointing out flaws in the logic.

And athiests seems to get all up in arms when a person of faith posts a cliche, factless religious 'oint.' I admit I am guilty of this every now and then.

The question is...why?

• 41 Replies
xgamer424
xgamer424
240 posts
Nomad

i got one question why do Christians say god is a he when it could also be a she so their just asuming that god is a he and i hear this alot as an atheist.

godofsalt
godofsalt
49 posts
Nomad

im not a religious person but not an atheist either. i think praying helps people spritually even if its not answered. If you has faith in any god(s) this spritual support can help overcoming problems.

to xgamer424's question: most scholars say it was asumed 'He" to help converting 'agans' whos head/ruler/master god was usually a dude/guy/male/man and 2000 years ago mankind considered men superior(in some areas they didnt consider women as human beings)
although this answer is not religously approved

Strategy_guy
Strategy_guy
290 posts
Nomad

godofsalt is correct but I've also heard it another way. We don't know what/if he has a gender so we use he. He is just what people use now a days when we don't know what gender they are or if there are a group of guys or girls.(Its kinda like saying 'hey guys' when one or more people are girls)

Strategy_guy
Strategy_guy
290 posts
Nomad

Sorry for double post but also instead of pagan can we use polytheistic please. I am polytheistic and hate it when someone calls me a pagan or whatever so please don't use pagan.

Ichibon
Ichibon
136 posts
Peasant

Well it seems that the thread has an answer. Everyone has givin there theories or beliefs and why they do. Now I pose the question,
Does it matter?
In my opinion, some people are just not comfortable believing something unless someone else believes it to. Me personally, I have found it easier not to let someone know what your beliefs are until you find out if that person has mind enough to even comprehend your beliefs.

Oh, and another thing, what is killing most of us is not the flexible, accepting believers of any religion. It is always, ALWAYS the extremists.

godofsalt
godofsalt
49 posts
Nomad

strategy_guy im sorry if that had offended you but the reason i used the word pagan is thats what early christians considered them(or called them)

hierensi
hierensi
40 posts
Nomad

i really dont care if other people believe me when i talk about my beliefs because i mean its their right to believe in religions... oh btw i have my own beliefs (no real religion)

kanethebrain
kanethebrain
242 posts
Nomad

People probably care what other people think for two reasons:

1. They care about other people. If you think someone is going to die if they walk into traffic, you'll try to stop them, Similarly, if you think someone is going to hell, you'll try to stop them. Then again, if you think they are wasting their time with religion, you'll try to stop them so they can enjoy life.

2. They're afraid that other people will use their beliefs to oppress others. Atheists don't want to be forced to church, so they preemptively point out that religion is dumb. Religious persons want to celebrate their religion, so they preemptively try to convert people so there's less struggle.

As to why the Judeo-Christian god is masculine, it's probably because the deity from the religion that Judaism evolved from was male. That deity was probably male for the same reason. The first deity was probably male because it came from a patriarchal society.

silentclore
silentclore
297 posts
Nomad

it's like offensive to a religious person because all we do goes to our faith and when they say like it's not true it's in our nature to counter it with our faith

Skyla
Skyla
291 posts
Peasant

People generally enjoy debating religion. It's human nature to enjoy friendly arguements - they keep conversations going.

Winning an arguement gives the winner a nice feeling deep inside, indescribable really. It's like 'Haha, I win!' although no one really wins religious debates, they're still fun, and sometimes give a sense of accomplishment when one of the debaters begins to think about something (makes the other debater feel like he made his opponent question something about religion he always thought he understood.)

Also, people like to show their knowledge, show how much they know and how intelligent they are.

Sometimes people want to make their religion look good. For example, Islam is usually portrayed as a murderous religion which encourages the killing of innocent people. After some research, I have concluded that Islam is a religion of love, that encourages Muslims to do good. Like all other religions, it was forced into killing by people who opposed it, and tried to kill God's messenger - Mohammed. Extremists generally think that 'Jihad'(one of the pillars of Islam) means killing innocent people who are not Muslims and consider all non-Muslims as infidels. A major problem in Islam is that women are not treated as equal as men, and are not respected. Although Muslim women have more freedom now than around the 1920s and before that, they are still treated lower than men. A few examples are that men are allowed to marry 4 women, but women are not allowed to marry more than 1 man.

Women are forced to cover all body parts except palm, face, and feet. Men are only forced to cover private parts. Women cannot become 'Imams' (Imam's are sort of like priests in Islam)

Skyla <3

kanethebrain
kanethebrain
242 posts
Nomad

@Skyla: Several good points! One thing to bring up though.

Women wearing the hijab (or other head/body coverings) is really much more of a cultural thing than a religious one. I know several Muslim women that don't wear anything like that. Granted, many of the people forcing them to wear those are not just cultural leaders, but religious ones too, so it's easy to get confused. I didn't know this myself until a Muslim girl told me!

redbedhead
redbedhead
341 posts
Nomad

because atheist are stupid

kanethebrain
kanethebrain
242 posts
Nomad

@redbedhead: Oh yea? well I think theists are stupid! nyah nyah nyah.

Seriously, do you have a reason for that or do you just not care about learning anything new?

BASHA
BASHA
660 posts
Nomad

seriously redbedhead why r u so close minded, maybe it's because deep down u know if you listened you would fing that other theories make since.

godofsalt
godofsalt
49 posts
Nomad

@redbedhead
now thats juvenile

Showing 16-30 of 41