ForumsThe Tavern" Epic " is a cliche

17 5030
BioWeapon117
BioWeapon117
62 posts
Nomad

well, the title says it. I think the word ' epic ' has been squeezed dry of its awesomeness. its just annoying to hear it now.

guy 1: dude, your new girlfriend is epic hot
guy2 : dude, thats epic of you to say.

now your mom is epic, your dog is epic, epic is epic, your face is epic, that sign is epic, this thread is epic, epic epic epic epic epic epic epic epic epic epic epic epic epic epic epic epic epic epic epic epic epic epic epic epic epic epic epic epic epic epic epic epic epic epic epic epic epic epic epic epic epic epic epic epic epic epic epic epic epic.

its getting really effing annoying >=(

• 17 Replies
Zega
Zega
6,921 posts
Peasant

This thread is epic.

Sorry, I had to.
BioWeapon, it's a phrase that dies off eventually, like the corny phrases that people from the 70's used.

Cenere
Cenere
13,657 posts
Jester

Who ever says that anyway? Must be silly people around you.
Purpose of this?

idontsuckthatmuch
idontsuckthatmuch
2,261 posts
Nomad

lol i say epic i guess. you're kind of right, but it's fun to say if it's during the right time.

that's what she said

Zega
Zega
6,921 posts
Peasant

@idontsuckthatmuch

Ummm. That "that's what she said" joke wasn't very epic. :/ Sorry.
----

lmao i love twss
haha

???

----

Google defines epic as "impressive"!
Graham
Graham
8,051 posts
Nomad

Find a newer word like This thread is so sumptuous!

People will stare.

Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,061 posts
Jester

I already am... Epic isn't overused where I am, then again maybe we just have creativity.

knight_34
knight_34
13,817 posts
Farmer

Someone at Urban Dictionary shares your sentiments.

the most overused word ever, next to fail. for even more asshole points, use them together to form "epic fail."

everything is epic now. epic car. epic haircut. epic movie. epic album. epic shut the fuck up.

saying "epic win" doesn't make you sound any better, either. and for fucks sake, don't ever say it in person.
DUDE UR POSTCOUNT IZ EPIC FAIL FAGOT

LOL EPIC WIN U RUEL

LISTEN TO THIS SONG IT'S SO EPIC

I also agree with Graham.

To put it simply, the slang usage of epic is so far overused it's sickening. I agree with you.

Google defines epic as "impressive"!

The real meaning of epic as an adjective is much more than just "good".

1. noting or pertaining to a long poetic composition, usually centered upon a hero, in which a series of great achievements or events is narrated in elevated style: Homer's Iliad is an epic poem.
2. resembling or suggesting such poetry: an epic novel on the founding of the country.
3. heroic; majestic; impressively great: the epic events of the war.
4. of unusually great size or extent: a crime wave of epic proportions.

Like Zega said it will die off eventually, in years when all those noobs get lives and when the internet trends change. I agree with the OP, but I don't really mind this, even if it irritates me.
thepossum
thepossum
3,035 posts
Nomad

Sort of like the word awesome. It used to really mean something, now everyone just says it about everything. Epic is just the new awesome.

samy
samy
4,871 posts
Nomad

I would like to point out that it's actually a cliché.

Cliche sounds dirty you know.

valkery
valkery
1,255 posts
Nomad

Epic is the same as Fail, Tubular, Neeto, Crackalakin, or endless other semi-retarded sayings. It will pass.

Avorne
Avorne
3,085 posts
Nomad

Of course Epic will die away - eventually. The big question is what will replace it. My vote is with grandiose or val (short for valiant).

johnny294
johnny294
284 posts
Nomad

i hate the word epic its just annoying to hear and the definition of epic is a long poem focused on a hero and his achievements

Nater
Nater
1,296 posts
Nomad

I only use "epic" if i need to. now is not a time to use it.

BioWeapon117
BioWeapon117
62 posts
Nomad

Who ever says that anyway? Must be silly people around you.
Purpose of this?

the word epic has lost its power now. its annoying as all getout...
aknerd
aknerd
1,416 posts
Peasant

long poem focused on a hero and his achievements

Yes, yes it is. I think it is time to turn another form of poetry into slang. How about Sonnet? As is:

Wow! That movie was freakin' Sonnet!

Or maybe Ballad?

Did you see my jump? Sooooo ballad.
Showing 1-15 of 17