ForumsWEPROil Spill Clean - Up

32 11008
1,855 posts
Nomad

The oil spill is becoming a huge problem, so I decided to do a science fair related project on it. I did write all this, and I have already contacted authorities about my idea, so there's no use in copying it. I would just like to know what some people think about it. And unless you have hours of spare time, I wouldn't advise reading the whole thing, and sort of skimming through it instead.

Objective: To compare twelve materials, and try to find one that will absorb oil, float, and can be contained.

Observation:
Oil spills are very destructive to birds and marine life.

Question/Problem:
What product or material absorbs oil, and floats on water?

Hypothesis/prediction:
I think that sphagnum peat moss will work the best, because it is already used for cleaning up oil spills.

Materials:
Marvel mystery oil (red)
Water (no chlorine or other chemicals added)
Sorbets: sphagnum peat moss, bio-safe powder, a seas sponge, saw dust, marshmallows, perlite, sweeping compound, plastic sponge, nerf dart foam, fiberglass, Styrofoam (polystyrene) and poly urethane foam.

Procedure/experiment:
We put sixteen ounces of water in each jar, and 2 1/2 ounces of marvel mystery oil in each one. Then, we add the sorbents to each jar. Next, we observed and documented each product for two days. We put lids on each jar to make sure that the water would not evaporate. One jar had a material called bio-safe, to experiment using bio-remediation. Bio-remediation means to break down the material using bacteria.
We ground up Styrofoam and polyurethane in a food processor and thoroughly cleaned between loads to avoid cross-contamination. We put one cup of each sorbent in each jar, except for the sea sponge and plastic sponge, which were just pieces. The bio-remediation consisted of two teaspoons of bio-safe.

Initial observation: First hour

1. Nerf foam: seems to pick up the oil very slowly.
2. Marshmallows: not absorbing oil, they are just absorbing in the oil.
3. Fiber glass: immediately soaked up oil, but is absorbing water and sinking.
4. Polyurethane foam: slowly absorbing oil, and floats.
5. Styrofoam: acts almost like a sponge, pulling the oil up through it, and floats
6. Sawdust: absorbed about half of the oil, and sank.
7. Sphagnum peat moss: picked up all of the oil, but is very slowly sinking.
8. Sea sponge: immediately picked up the oil, but is sinking slowly.
9. Plastic sponge:absorbed all the oil immediately, and is still floating.
10. Perlite: floating, but not really absorbing the oil.
11. Bio-safe: It sank, but is coming back up one piece at a time.
12. Clean sweep: most of it sunk, but some of it is still absorbing oil.

Observation after 24 hours:

1. Nerf Foam: Absorbed pretty much all of the oil, and is still floating.
2. Marshmallows: Nothing has happened yet.
3. Fiber Glass: Absorbed the oil, but sank.
4. Polyurethane foam: Still floating, and absorbed all of the oil.
5. Styrofoam: Sucked the oil to the top of the jar. Still floating. Working great.
6. Sawdust: All of the sawdust sank.
7. Sphagnum Peat moss: Absorbed all the oil, and most of it is still floating.
8. Sea Sponge: Absorbed all the oil, but slowly sank.
9. Plastic Sponge: Still floating, and absorbed all of the oil.
10. Perlite: Floating, but not absorbing oil.
11. Bio-safe: Floating, and it looks like itâs dissolving the oil.
12. Clean Sweep: Hasnât done anything, and it sank.

Final Observation (after 48 hours)

1. Nerf Foam: Absorbed almost all of the oil. Still floating.
2. Marshmallows: Hasnât made any progress; still floating.
3. Fiberglass: Absorbed all of the oil, and sank.
4. Polyurethane Foam: Has made what looks like a separate layer; because there is water between the part that has socked up the oil, and the part that hasnât.
5. Styrofoam: The oil has soaked through the Styrofoam.
6. Sawdust: No progress has been made.
7. Sphagnum Peat Moss: Still floating, and absorbed all of the oil.
8. Sea Sponge: Absorbed all the oil, but sank.
9. Plastic Sponge: Absorbed all of the oil, and still floating.
10. Perlite: Absorbed only a little bit of the oil, but still floating.
11. Bio-safe: Sank completely.
12. Clean sweep: Absorbed only a little bit of oil, and sunk.

Variables:

Controlled Variables:
The controlled sample has sixteen ounces of water, and two and a half ounces of red oil, which remained unchanged. This provided a sample to control all of my experiments with.

Manipulated Variables:
I added twelve different products to my jars, containing the exact amount of water and oil as the controlled sample. This way, I could observe the results.
Responding Variables:
Observing which products absorbed the oil the fastest, without sinking.

Conclusion:
Only four of the twelve products absorbed all of the oil without sinking. The best products numbered in order, one being the best.

1. Ground up polyurethane foam.
2. Ground up polystyrene. (Styrofoam)
3. Plastic sponge.
4. Peat Moss.

Polyurethane foam soaked up all of the oil completely, and used a small amount of the foam that I put in the jar. It seemed to clump up on the water, which would make it easier to scoop up, and to remove.

Styrofoam absorbed all of the oil without sinking, but it is so light, I think that the wind would blow it around.

The Plastic Sponge worked well, but left a little bit of on the top of the water. It would work well mixed with other products.

Peat Moss also would work better mixed with other products, because it would help hold the mix together, since it is so heavy. It tended to sink somewhat.

• 32 Replies
1,855 posts
Nomad

Sorry about some of the '�' things, Idk what they are, but I wrote this in a journal, then I copied it onto a word document, and pasted it onto this.

1,855 posts
Nomad

dang no posts. I guess people just like to argue a lot here.

Graham
Graham
8,052 posts
Nomad

Hay actually soaks up oil pretty well.

pHacon
pHacon
1,903 posts
Nomad

You used marshmallows? I would've just eaten the dang things.
I didn't post earlier because I had no idea what to say.

I have a question: what would you think, out of what you tested, would be the most cost effective method of soaking up all of the oil?

Oh, and soaking it up is just the beginning, think about how long it would take to get all of the porous material out of the Gulf.

seth_crowe
seth_crowe
74 posts
Peasant

I vote we just burn that s*** up if the companies that spilled it can't clean it up in a timely fashion, making it their loss if they can't find a method to reclaim all of their losses.

We're addicted to war and oil in this country, so why don't we just leave it up to the companies and employ various methods of neo-boycotting? As idealistic and unrealistic as this may seem, we should start making them pay for the heavy toll that oil brings, not us, the consumers.

Roadripper
Roadripper
1,514 posts
Farmer

Do you know how much BP screwed up the community and economy?! So many species are dying out right now because of their f*** up. Plus, the economy was on its way up, and then BP came around and screwed it over too. Damn.

~RR~

sourwhatup2
sourwhatup2
3,660 posts
Jester

The amount of barrels that have flowed into the Gulf is ridiculous.. With all the technology we have you would of thought they would of thought of something smart..

''Let's plug it with golf balls and tires''

What f****ng idiots.

pHacon
pHacon
1,903 posts
Nomad

What f****ng idiots.

Yeah... When they tried to plug it with mud, then concrete if that worked, the first thing that came into my mind was "Why not use concrete first, you morons?"

Oh, and 201, or Dan, if I can call you that, is the experiment still ongoing, or did you stop it at 48 hours?
1,855 posts
Nomad

Oh, and 201, or Dan, if I can call you that, is the experiment still ongoing, or did you stop it at 48 hours?

You can call me Dan no. I did it a little while back. All of the materials were starting to smell really bad, and the marshmallows were starting to rot from being soaked in oil, so I had to stop it. They were in the jars for about a week, but I only took results for fourty - eight hours.

You used marshmallows? I would've just eaten the dang things.

Lol, I had to take some marshmallows as "test samples"

What f****ng idiots.

Yup, I agree with that pretty much completely.

I vote we just burn that s*** up if the companies that spilled it can't clean it up in a timely fashion, making it their loss if they can't find a method to reclaim all of their losses.

I hope you're kidding. That would just kill all the other animals.
1,855 posts
Nomad

Whoa, sorry about all the typos, I took them all from a journal onto a word document at 11 o clock last night, it was an ongoing experiment.

EnterOrion
EnterOrion
4,223 posts
Nomad

Water (no chlorine or other chemicals added)

If I were you, I would have used salt water. After all, it is salt water it's pouring into.

With all the technology we have you would of thought they would of thought of something smart..

The problem is the well is so deep. It's over a mile under the surface, too deep for people to go to. Therefore we have to use machines, and with oil going everywhere and the pressures down there, it is more than difficult.

As for the oil, the problem is it floats on water. Therefore it has nowhere to just sit and collect. It keeps going out like a pool of water after you spill it. It doesn't just sit there. And with 40 million gallons out there, each gallon taking up about 16 sq. feet, I'd say that's enormous.

Industrial accident = bad.
1,855 posts
Nomad

If I were you, I would have used salt water. After all, it is salt water it's pouring into.

Wow. Water is water, salt or not. It doesn't really matter :P
pHacon
pHacon
1,903 posts
Nomad

Wow. Water is water, salt or not. It doesn't really matter :P

Not exactly, while it may have same properties of the two compounds together, the salt dissolved in the water would affect(effect?) how oil is spread around in it.

Water by itself is polar, which is why oil doesn't like to mix in it, but salt, as an ionic compound is non-polar and doesn't have a problem with oil, so it should make a difference.
1,855 posts
Nomad

Not exactly, while it may have same properties of the two compounds together, the salt dissolved in the water would affect(effect?) how oil is spread around in it.

Water by itself is polar, which is why oil doesn't like to mix in it, but salt, as an ionic compound is non-polar and doesn't have a problem with oil, so it should make a difference.

.... :O I am not doing this all over again just because of that. I'll get the same results, except the peat moss will 100% stay afloat, rather than 85% or so.
1,855 posts
Nomad

:'( looks like mah thread is dying.

Industrial accident = bad.

No shist sherlock.

We need to plug the hole! We really do. I contacted local authorities, and they told me they'd get back to me ASAP on my ideas. DD
Showing 1-15 of 32