ForumsThe TavernSwords

140 28781
escartian
escartian
780 posts
Nomad

This is like the Favorite Gun thread only with swords!
What is you favorite sword?
You can also have discussions (obviously) as this thread grows.
You can talk about anything related to swords!

• 140 Replies
aced0155
aced0155
312 posts
Nomad

I like the Kilij sword, mainly used by Vlad the Impaler. It's curved and has a weighted tip, and it's cutting ability is only matched by the katana. it can slice through an entire human body, bone and all.

EnterOrion
EnterOrion
4,220 posts
Nomad

I must say, that i am interested in rapiers, like pirates used. Those swords are wicked, small, sharp, and strong. Much better than a bulky European sword.

Rapiers were useless on ships. That's what they invented the cutlass.

Rapiers were light, but near useless against a heavier sword. They were thin and long and bent like a spring. If you weren't extremely skilled, they could get you killed.
Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,061 posts
Jester

The kilij seemed rather interesting, and the katana has always been a favorite of mine.

jkmadman1
jkmadman1
1,066 posts
Nomad

KATANA all the way man all the way.

314d1
314d1
3,817 posts
Nomad

Claymore. They have a long range and the ability to decapitate in one slice. It has a far longer range than the katana you all love, a good claymore man against a good katana man an the claymore wins.

Unless we are speaking from a closed off aria, such as an urban environment, then I would have to go with the usual modern combat knife. It's range isn't great but in closed arias you can get close, making the knife very effective.

Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,061 posts
Jester

..methinks you need to learn that area is 'e' not an 'i'

In my honest opinion, the claymore is naught but a butcher knife. I don't mean that as a bad thing, I just think sometimes one needs something much lighter and smaller such as a jian.

314d1
314d1
3,817 posts
Nomad

..methinks you need to learn that area is 'e' not an 'i'

Well my spell check is not the best...*Slashes spell check with claymore*

In my honest opinion, the claymore is naught but a butcher knife. I don't mean that as a bad thing, I just think sometimes one needs something much lighter and smaller such as a jian.

Smaller weapons would work, if you could get past the 140 cm of steel swinging at your neck...
pHacon
pHacon
1,903 posts
Nomad

What about a dai-katana? claymore katana fusion right there...

I would prefer a flambard to one of those though, if I HAD to use a two handed weapon.

Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,061 posts
Jester

Yes, but it has a longer recovery time than many others swords, so if that first strike misses odds are a decent swordsman tear you apart.

314d1
314d1
3,817 posts
Nomad

Yes, but it has a longer recovery time than many others swords, so if that first strike misses odds are a decent swordsman tear you apart.

True, but a decent claymore man shouldn't miss. One hit one kill, no matter if they are wearing armor or not. Even though its betting all on that first swing, that first swing is enough to take you down.
Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,061 posts
Jester

I only have one thing to say to that...duck! Time right and duck followed with in upward slash will tear the claymore user a new one. Literally.

escartian
escartian
780 posts
Nomad

Darn...I wrote three paragraphs here.(but then it said I wasn't logged in(which I was) and erased everything I wrote... oh well) But here is a summary of what I wrote before.
Claymore used against armored knight like metal baseball bat
Katana used against lighter armor
Armored Knight versus Armored Samurai =Knight win
Knight (no armor) versus Samurai (no armor) =Samurai win
A (short for armored) Knight versus U (short for unarmed) Samurai = Knight win
U knight versus A Samurai = Samurai win
Assume knight armor is full body and head included.
So it all depends on situation.

DDX
DDX
3,562 posts
Nomad

Ooohh.. Gladius is a good weapon. Not superior itself,

false! it is actually one of the MOST superior weapons ever designed. the shape and length are perfect for h2h combat and cqb. the design where it is bowed in the middle allows it to slip and widen the crack between the defender's armor. this sword allowed the roman empire to stand where it was at the pinnacle of it's time.

but personally I own a couple of katanas and I prefer to use them
knight_34
knight_34
13,817 posts
Farmer

Yeah yeah yeah, we all make mistakes.

Good close-quarters weapon of course. Didn't save the Romans though.

How are your katanas?

Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,061 posts
Jester

Knights wear armor that is meant to be nigh impenetrable for their the issue is getting back up. When the claymore hits him, he will fall and then he's going to have a bit of a problem getting back up before his opponent can open the visor. Next with the samurai, their armor was designed to deflect heavy blows, such as those given by a knight. Not to mention the Katana is a steel blade, unlike plate armor which would have been iron at best.

Showing 16-30 of 140