ForumsThe TavernSwords

140 28779
escartian
escartian
780 posts
Nomad

This is like the Favorite Gun thread only with swords!
What is you favorite sword?
You can also have discussions (obviously) as this thread grows.
You can talk about anything related to swords!

• 140 Replies
goumas13
goumas13
4,752 posts
Grand Duke

My favorite sword is my fencing sword, I won a medal thanks to it. I really love it.

pHacon
pHacon
1,903 posts
Nomad

My favorite sword is my fencing sword, I won a medal thanks to it. I really love it.

I believe that is called an Ãpée, Goumas. I can understand that, but I wouldn't trust one in a fight.
DDX
DDX
3,562 posts
Nomad

I can understand that, but I wouldn't trust one in a fight.

the fencing foils are really flimsy in my opinion personally after growing up around katanas I have to say a legitimate katana created from the special folding steel technique is one of the strongest blades that only pales in comparison in maneuverability to the roman gladius. but then again this is only a thread about FAVORITE swords not BEST swords
goumas13
goumas13
4,752 posts
Grand Duke

The katana were tested by using them against corpses or condemn criminals, the good katana sword had to cut through the body in one single swing, hence the katana is really one of the best swords.

Kalb789
Kalb789
639 posts
Baron

the claymore end of story

thisisnotanalt
thisisnotanalt
9,821 posts
Shepherd

The ancient katana-forging techniques used by the likes of Masamune and Muramasa are astounding and make for the strongest and sharpest swords available today. They're incredible.

Although shamshirs, saifs, talwars, etc. are also pretty mean weapons. And anyone who knows how to use an urumi is automatically the coolest person ever.

Xzeno
Xzeno
2,301 posts
Nomad

And anyone who knows how to use an urumi is automatically the coolest person ever.
Alt. I heard about a girl who specializes in the broadsword and the steel whip.

No, not as in she has two specialties. Broadsword in one hand, steel whip in the other. I think I'm in love...

The problem with the katana is simple in my mind: It's a single-edged curved sword in a game about double-edged straight swords. You can talk about forging methods all day, but I believe the design is fundamentally flawed from the beginning: No amount of forging can make up for this core weakness.

Then again, I'm not a good sword fighter. I kinda know a little about broadswords.

I think a light, quick, straight sword (like a jian) is the way to fly in the world of swords.
Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,061 posts
Jester

I think a light, quick, straight sword (like a jian) is the way to fly in the world of swords.

You're forgetting something, the jian while excellent for stabbing isn't that good for slicing.
escartian
escartian
780 posts
Nomad

the jian while excellent for stabbing isn't that good for slicing.

In more modern sword fighting....slicing is not used (by more modern I mean 17 century before guns were made...)
Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,061 posts
Jester

And that's why you should have a weapon that can be used for slicing. Your opponent wouldn't be expecting something that's not used conventionally.

EnterOrion
EnterOrion
4,220 posts
Nomad

No, not as in she has two specialties. Broadsword in one hand, steel whip in the other. I think I'm in love...

Kinky . . . .

The Katana is still the best in my opinion. Insanely strong, can cut through anything short of solid steel, and is automatically cool.

Anyhow,

Katana used against lighter armor

No. At it's climax, it was being used against armor stronger than any of the knights ever had, and way more maneuverable. Europeans after the Roman empire were insanely boring with their weapons, preferring to just strap on a bunch of steel rather than be smart and make a light and insanely strong armor like the Japanese.
EnterOrion
EnterOrion
4,220 posts
Nomad

insanely boring with their weapons

*Armor, I meant armor.
thisisnotanalt
thisisnotanalt
9,821 posts
Shepherd

Move over, because I am too, lol.

The problem with the katana is simple in my mind: It's a single-edged curved sword in a game about double-edged straight swords. You can talk about forging methods all day, but I believe the design is fundamentally flawed from the beginning: No amount of forging can make up for this core weakness.

I can understand the importance of stabbing, but why is having two edges imperative for a sword? Explain that to me.
Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,061 posts
Jester

Right, knights wore iron armor did they not? If the japanese could make steel swords, there is no reason they couldn't make steel armor. In addition to that their long heritage of feudal society made them much better at waging war.

Btw, since you're on, wanna check out the BSC and give my strategy a grade?

SubZero131
SubZero131
598 posts
Nomad

Armor today is really cool. Have you seen the military Dragon Skin?? Its ceramic scale armor evidently it can take an emense amount of impact even though lightweight and flexible.

And to swords i think Kriss swords look really cool couldnt imagine the paine of being stabbed with one of those. Not sure how effective they are other wise though. Here is a picture of one

Showing 46-60 of 140