ForumsWEPRThe Pope in New York

32 8376
Hermann0212
Hermann0212
150 posts
Nomad

As alot of you know the pope was in New York yesterday. He blessed ground zero and yankee stadium ( downer for me i am a Mets fan ) anyway share you thoughts.

• 32 Replies
homegrove
homegrove
325 posts
Peasant

Well, I am a Christian, but I definetly do not support the Catholics. I hold firm to the fact that they seem to 'worship' the pope, instead of giving the rightful glory to God.

Case and point - he kissed a baby on the forehead, and now that couple (I believe it was actually some football star) think they baby has gotten good luck or something ridiculous like that. Yes, it was a nice jesture by the pope, but people take things way to far (as always).

Asherlee
Asherlee
5,014 posts
Shepherd

Homegrove, I've always wondered the same thing. I'm not Christian, but I thought worshiping idols was a no-no. Why is it that Catholics pray to Mary?

homegrove
homegrove
325 posts
Peasant

I am not completely educated in the realm of Catholics, so I do could not give a strait answer as to why Catholics pray to Mary, but as I understand it they believe that to have a sinless child (Jesus) Mary had to be sinless, so they pray to her. Of course, that makes no sense, since Mary's parents would have to be sinless to have her, and equally her grandparents would have to be sinless to have sinless children... you can see where that is going >,<

SerbWarrior
SerbWarrior
38 posts
Nomad

Homegrove i couldnt agree more with your thought on Catholics,they say a pope is Gods messanger...
JESUS CHRIST WAS GODS ONLY SON AND MESSENGER!
So in theory they make pope the ,,true son'' of God,to me thats sick and stupid,but what can you do...
Now a little back to the topic,saw Benedict in the news the baseball game to be precise...
WTF is a pope doing at a baseball game...?
Very funny how they ,,recruit people''...
If you want more on Catholics read about Opus Dei-Gods deed,a secret chatolic organization that is visible to all but has some under dealings...Its root were medieval but it was resurrected during 1910-Present...
And they also worshiped one man...
Even more than the pope,his name was Hose Maria Eskriva de Balager...
They called him ,,father''...
You should really check it out...

XCoheedX
XCoheedX
924 posts
Scribe

I am a Catholic, and I don't toally agrre with what you guys are saying. @Asherlee, we don't "worship" Mary. We pray to her because she was the mother of God, and a guide to help. I agree that worshiping idols is not the way to go, but we don't do that.
@Homegrove, Mary was sinless because God chose so, because his plan was for her to be the mother of His only son. Jesus was sinless because he was made in God's own image.
@Serb, the Pope is a religious leader and messanger. Jesus is not the only one. The saints were also messengers.

homegrove
homegrove
325 posts
Peasant

But Coheed, does the Bible not say that everyone has fallen short of the glory of God, and that only through Christ is one saved? If Mary was sinless, she didn't need Jesus to gain access to heaven, therefore that Scripture would be lying to us.

XCoheedX
XCoheedX
924 posts
Scribe

It is pretty confusing. I'm not sure that it said that Mary fell short. She is the mother of Jesus, so she should be honored. Since she is the mother of Jesus, she is also the mother of God. The Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit are all one person which is the Holy Trinity. I believe it is also said that you should always honor your mother and father.

clipmaster3
clipmaster3
104 posts
Nomad

I think that since America is religiously neutral (or is supposed to be anyway) we should welcome not just the pope but leaders of other religions as well. I'm not saying we should keep him from coming here, but maybe with a little less zeal? When the Dalai Lama came to Purdue University it received a fair amount of press. When the pope comes to America it's covered by the news everywhere, he gets to give mass in a stadium, oh, and the president came to greet him.

homegrove
homegrove
325 posts
Peasant

I have to agree with you there Coheed, one way or another she was the mother of God, so she deserves some credit either way.

And I did find that funny, clipmaster, that the President went to the airport to 'ick up' the pope. Haha John Stewart made fun of Bush for doing that, even though it was a nice deed.

XCoheedX
XCoheedX
924 posts
Scribe

It is just too easy to make fun of Bush! lol.

The only reason that the pope has been more popular, is that he leads a much more popular religion here in America.

armorkas
armorkas
396 posts
Nomad

UGH! I'm a full blooded christian, but i just plain don't like catholics. I don't mean to persecute them, I mean, I don't walk through the streets looking to throw torches at catholics, but i do think it's a little strange. So I don't exactly enjoy the pope being here visiting America, but I don't reall give a crap, lol.

SerbWarrior
SerbWarrior
38 posts
Nomad

XCoheedX
I didnt see you trying to explain something about Opus Dei...
Well...

disturbedftw
disturbedftw
88 posts
Nomad

dude i want to ride in the pope mobile that would be sweet

SilverArrow
SilverArrow
43 posts
Nomad

hey homegrove we don't worship the pope. he's just an important dude in the religion. kinda like the priest in the church. u don't worship him but he's still an important dude.

opentotruth
opentotruth
473 posts
Peasant

i personall couldnt care less about it cause im agnostic so to me hes just some guy

Showing 1-15 of 32