ForumsArt, Music, and WritingWrite a Book Contest! -- Genre- Science Fiction

23 15339
The904
The904
75 posts
Nomad

I hope this lasts for a long time. I am into writing books. I know a lot of you guys are as well. So here is your chance! Write ONE chapter of a book that YOU wrote. There will be one judge that will judge all of the entries. Your chapter cannot be more then 750 words!

I am going to be the first judge.

I am also going to try to get a merit prize from Carlie.

• 23 Replies
CommanderDude7
CommanderDude7
4,689 posts
Nomad

Not to be mean or anything but shouldn't this be in the writing section?

Aaliyah928
Aaliyah928
252 posts
Nomad

Yeah... Can it be moved there? It would fit better. Thanks! Although I do think I will post on it ok?

thepossum
thepossum
3,037 posts
Nomad

Hmmm...intriguing. This really should be moved to the AMW, and I would suggest asking a mod for the merit, rather than Carlie. Also, will there be a judging for the book overall, in addition to judging the chapters?

The904
The904
75 posts
Nomad

Also, will there be a judging for the book overall, in addition to judging the chapters?

Well it is going to be weekly. So, one week, you write a chapter. Then the next week, you write another chapter. I dont know. I will figure it out.
Aaliyah928
Aaliyah928
252 posts
Nomad

Uhhmmmm, can you please move this to the art music and writing section so it can begin?

thisisnotanalt
thisisnotanalt
9,824 posts
Shepherd

Your word count is blech. 750 words is three book pages. The submissions should be at least 750 words.

tomertheking
tomertheking
1,751 posts
Jester

Ok move it to the right place.

Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

Alt is right, 750 words is barely an excerpt. You should set the lower limit to 750, and if you insist, an upper limit of at least 2500.

tomertheking
tomertheking
1,751 posts
Jester

750 words is three book pages.

A4 sized pages from both sides or A5 pages on one side? That's a diffrence in 4 times. I think it should be beteween 500 words to 3000 words, since sometimes SF stoies are very short(1.5 small pages) but very good. Read asimovs "buy jupiter" for example.
Secretmapper
Secretmapper
1,748 posts
Nomad

I wanna join. Got to start thinking! Oh, and when is this going to be moved?

Secretmapper
Secretmapper
1,748 posts
Nomad

OH SHIT, I posted when it was already moved!

Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

lol, I still got the ninja skillz, BOOYAH.

I've advised the OP that the rules need a bit of revising. I'm not entirely clear what the purpose of this is. However, as I currently have access to professional consultation from people inside the editing and publishing industry, I believe that I could provide some tips on how best to utilise something like this.

Here's a suggestion: the first chapter of any novel is a hook. It has to inspire interest. It has to establish a major, or main character, and generate questions or motive. I think a "Write the opening chapter of a book" contest like this has potential as a kind of workshop, for people to practice writing hard-hitting, exciting hooks, so that they can grab the reader's interest.

thisisnotanalt
thisisnotanalt
9,824 posts
Shepherd

A4 sized pages from both sides or A5 pages on one side?

One side. At least, those are the standards I know of. It's not exact, but pretty much always around 250.
Secretmapper
Secretmapper
1,748 posts
Nomad

So are we getting merits?
This is getting boring, no one is posting chapters. I think I'll start.

Wait, I haven't thought of it yet, well think of this as a draft.

Book Title: ????
CHAPTER I: ????

The huge concrete jungle wraps around the landscape, covering everything and freeing no one. Once he looks around, he sees nothing but gigantic rods of steel that seems to be taunting, while the putrid air chokes him. He overheard the fleeing birds, flying away from the place. The fog further covered the slight space where he could see. He coughed once, then twice, before he regained his poise. He focused his eyes straight to the blank abyss, holding his sword upright tightly with the appendage at the end of his arm. Finally, with a sleight of hand, he charged forth. He ran straight and thrusted his sword forward. (Inc...)

EnterOrion
EnterOrion
4,223 posts
Nomad

Hm. This could be fun. So long as we don't have to write more than one chapter. Then I get bored. D:

Showing 1-15 of 23