ForumsForum Games[GUIDE] How to create an RPG in this forum

178 156105
obould
obould
712 posts
Nomad

Hey guys, me again. If you remember the last thread on how to PLAY an RPG, this will be fairly similar, only focusing on the creation/narrating aspects of the game.

PART 1: All rules about being a player still apply!

PART 2: BASICS OF CREATION

a) Every RPG has the same basics. They all have storylines and player's. If your RPG is missing it's storyline, it will not get many players. If your player's have no storyline, more are less likely to join.

b) When click the 'New Topic' button and are planning on creating a new RPG, first ask yourself a few questions
I) What is this RPG about?
II) What sets your RPG apart from other current RPGs?
III) Why will the community stick with my RPG?
IV) How many players are welcome to join my RPG?
V) What will I do if people ask for change in my RPG?
VI) Will my players interact with each other or be on their own?

All of these questions are important, and must be known BEFORE creating your RPG. If you do not know the answers to these questions, DO NOT MAKE YOUR RPG!!!

PART 3: THE CHARACTER SHEET

When you create your RPG, you generally have the players of your RPG make characters. This is generally done through the use of a character sheet. Of course, there are other ways, but that will not be covered. You will need to find those for yourself.

A basic charactersheet has the character's age and several attributes. You can also add a description of the character and different types to the character to make the game more interesting. A general character sheet may look like this.

EX --> Name:
Level: 1
Hit Points: (Your Vitality)
Strength: (Your ability to deal damage)
Defense: (Your ability to resist damage)
Agility: (Your speed in battle)

Above, you can see a VERY simple character sheet. You, as the creator, may ask the players to use a certain number of points, say 10-15 for this one, where every point used in Hit Points = 5 hit points. The player would copy your character sheet, and make one similar to this, using 13 points:

EX --> Name: Zedugai
Level: 1
Hit Points: 20
Strength: 5
Defense: 2
Agility: 2

This would be posted, with slight differences by the player, on EVERY POST that they make in character, and EVERY POST that YOU make responding to their actions. ONLY YOU can change their sheet once the RPG is started, unless you say otherwise.

PART 4: CONTROL

a) You are in control of the RPG at all times. Never back down to the players if you do not want to. That doesn't mean ignore thier suggestions, but if they declare an outcome of an action, you don't have to go with it. YOU decide outcomes, THEY decide thier actions.

b) If a player asks you a question about the game, or why something happened, answer them. When you do this, you start to become much more popular with the RPG community, making newer RPGs much more popular, with more characters and richer storylines.

PART 5: CONTINUING YOUR STORY

If your adventure takes off, you need to keep changing and adding to your storyline. If at any time you get stuck, ask your players, for they are likely to know how they want to play in your adventure. Don't be araid to ask your players! They don't bit! Most players are looking to be interacted with more than just through the story of the game.

PART 6: MOVING ON

If you ever want to move on from your adventure, first consult your audience. If most of the players would like to continue, you have a few choices. You can find a player that verymuch enjoys the RPG to run it for the rest of it's existance, or you can ask me. I enjoy running RPGs of any kind, unless they are based off of Twilight :P. Aside from that, you can also ask your friends if they would like to help you out and run it.

PART 7: VACATION

Always alert your player's when you will be absent from the RPG for some time. If you are going for more than a week or so, you should probably have one of the better players run it for a while while you are gone.

Well, that's my tutorial. I hope you learned something from reading it! Please comment if you have any questions about creating an RPG. You can also contact me through my 'about' page.

Thanks again,
--> OBOULD <--

• 178 Replies
SirNoobalot
SirNoobalot
22,207 posts
Nomad

na i ish ok . Plus that was only 1 person asking questions D: ( ikr).

lilchad
lilchad
4 posts
Nomad

easy

locoace3
locoace3
15,053 posts
Nomad

lulz at the spam above since this gives no AP

also one word of advice to the newbie game maker

If they use big words or complex strategies in the game don't make it auto win! I play games from newer makers and i say something complex they're like, "uhhh.. you win!" also don't make it easy outright, make it a little hard put in some challenge.

jordanx120
jordanx120
43 posts
Nomad

nice guide its really helpful!

SirNoobalot
SirNoobalot
22,207 posts
Nomad

Another tip to consider:

it isn't absolutely essential, but try to think of plot. What do you want the ultimate outcome to be??? will there be one, inevitable ending, or perhaps multiple? Will the story be continued in a separate RPG, or all in one? All things to consider.

42 posts
Nomad

Very helpful. Thank for the quide. 1+

Razerules
Razerules
4,049 posts
Nomad

I like this guide.
I also agree with SirNoobaLot.

DesertHyena
DesertHyena
2,886 posts
Peasant

What about dice?

DesertHyena
DesertHyena
2,886 posts
Peasant

What about dice?

Hypermnestra
Hypermnestra
26,390 posts
Nomad

What about dice?

Dice can be used in some RPGs, but really it's up to the GM's discretion. I've found that most online RPGs don't use dice, but if you would like to, you can, provided that you have your own set.
I personally own a full set of Dungeons and Dragons dice(and I'm not ashamed to admit it, either), but I still prefer not to use them. That way, it gives the OP or GM more control over the outcome of a game. I don't like the element of luck in a game, really. If a player makes a stupid mistake and you're on dice, you could roll a perfect 20 and they would win; if they make a brilliant plan and you roll a 0, they're **** out of luck. With the non-dice games, luck is taken out of the equation and the player is rewarded or punished based solely on how they play, and not on something that they have no control over.
Or at least, that's my take on the matter. You're free to draw your own conclusions.
locoace3
locoace3
15,053 posts
Nomad

hyper you should make a D&D game

Hypermnestra
Hypermnestra
26,390 posts
Nomad

hyper you should make a D&D game

That would take FOREVER.
Besides, I already have plans for some other RPGs. I want at least one, possibly two sequels to BOW: Lieutenants.
I was also musing about some kind of villain game, but that's still just a thought.
locoace3
locoace3
15,053 posts
Nomad

That would take FOREVER.
Besides, I already have plans for some other RPGs. I want at least one, possibly two sequels to BOW: Lieutenants.
I was also musing about some kind of villain game, but that's still just a thought.

it's probably because i really want to play D&D *sigh*

but i have some planned when i get beck from vacation
SirNoobalot
SirNoobalot
22,207 posts
Nomad

I'd be up for playing D&D ;D!

...but after sifting around the interwebz i haven't found a sheet that either is WAY too long or doesn't have explanations for newbs :3

Hypermnestra
Hypermnestra
26,390 posts
Nomad

I could create a sheet.
I wouldn't be able to run the game, though.

Showing 46-60 of 178