ForumsForum Games[GUIDE] How to play in an RPG in this forum

104 102328
obould
obould
712 posts
Nomad

There are a few topics that need to be addressed that I have noticed around the Forum Games RPG's. This will be broken into two major parts both in different threads because they will be fairly long, one for the players, and one for the creators, so that everyone knows what to do.

PART 1: THE BASICS

a) When a Creator of an RPG lets you create your own character in an RPG using a system and a character sheet, make sure that you understand the system. Too many times, if the creator says "12 points for your character" players will try to sneak in a 13th point. So rule a boils down to: DONT CHEAT and UNDERSTAND what they are saying.

b) When deciding what your character should do, you are generally given a few options, or you are given the freedom to do what you want to do.

EX --> CREATOR: You are in the ocean, looking around you see a school of fish, some kelp, and a cliffside.

PLAYER 1: I attack the school of fish and attempt to eat them.

In this case, that would be A CORRECT response. This is and incorrect response:

PLAYER 1: I attack the school of fish and eat them all.

The only difference is that the first response used ATTEMPT and the second didn't. The second person was telling the creator the outcome of what he did, which is wrong. The players choose their actions, not their action's outcomes. That is what the Creator is for! If you want to choose outcomes, CREATE, dont PLAY!

PART 2: ETIQUITE

a) Etiquite is very important on RPG's. Capitalization, mainly, is something that I don't see too often and it makes your post more broken up and hard to read. This is what I generally see:

EX --> PLAYER 1: ummm... i go to the store

The player did not capitalize the letter U in 'ummmm' or I. Which post looks better, above or below?

PLAYER 1: Ummm... I go to the store.

In this post, the player not only used correct capitalization techniques, but punctuated his sentences, bringing me to the next part.

b) Punctualization is necessary, and not only to look pretty and neat, but to show what you are talking about! If you are arguing a point, when you are talking, use a period, when you are making a big point, use an exclamation mark! It helps involve both the other players and the creator.

EX --> PLAYER 1: can i go to the store

Wow, doesn't that make you think that your players are really into your RPG? No. It doesn't. Creators like it when you look like you are enjoying their RP, so capitalize and punctuate.

PLAYER 1: Can I go to the store? Or would that be a problem?

Doesn't that look a bit more classy? A bit better than before? That's what most creators like in their players.

c) Spelling is also very important! I dont know how many times I see 'what are u doin'... It is faster to type that way, but it does not show that you are into the game at all. Yes, occasionally you will miss a key, but hey, it happens. What I dont like is when it happens ALL THE TIME! I will admit, I probably have a few errors on this page, and on my other RPG's, but it happens! People make mistakes, and creators will understand that.

PART 3: USING YOUR CHARACTER

Most RPGs call for you to create a character. When you post using your character, you generally have to copy and paste your character sheet (see an RPG) and then post your actions. Always stay in the lines of the adventure that you are playing. If you are playing a realistic WW2 adventure, dont say that you hire a dinosaur to destroy the world. That may be in a dinosaur adventure, and even that is stretching it.

PART 4: CHOOSING YOUR RPG

When you want to roleplay, make sure that you choose one that you will enjoy. If you like random, sparatic adventures, don't play any realistic ones, and that works viseversa. If you start an RPG, and dont enjoy it anymore, quit it.

PART 5: QUITTING AN RPG

When you quit an RPG, don't quit in the middle of something important. Try to wait for a calm, explanation time when you quit, this way you don't disrupt the storyline and kill the adventure for the rest of the community. Always tell the creator that you are quitting when you quit, so that he/she can plan for it.

That concludes my tutorial on PLAYING an RPG, if anyone has anything to add, please post it below. I understand that within itself, this is not a Forum Game, but it will improve the forum if people abide by these simple rules.
Thank you for reading,

--> OBOULD <--

• 104 Replies
obould
obould
712 posts
Nomad

I've been playing 4.0... I completely blanked on 3.5 XD

Pazx
Pazx
5,845 posts
Peasant

Can I make a point?

With the 'Ummm... I go to the store", that's barely any better than 'ummm... i go to the store'. In fact, I honestly don't have a big problem with the grammar, and I'm a grammar Nazi. Sorta. Sometimes.

What annoys me is the 'ummm'. Seriously? You're gonna make a decision, we don't need you to act like that. If you are faced with a difficult decision, say that in front of your choice, instead of 'Umm...'

obould
obould
712 posts
Nomad

Yeah, true. I easily get bugged by grammar and spelling, but at the time that I made this, it was REALLY bad.

I would get responses to my RPGs like.

"i wan go 2 da stor to by sum thins wit my muny cuz im rich get it"

It was quite ridiculous.

SirNoobalot
SirNoobalot
22,207 posts
Nomad

terrible spelling and rambling to the point you have to infer what they are saying exactly (this includes crap sentence structure) are what really get to me. OK spelling is tolerable, but if it is really that bad it makes me angry.

obould
obould
712 posts
Nomad

Yeah, it takes as much time to respond to that as it does to read it...

Hypermnestra
Hypermnestra
26,390 posts
Nomad

Great guide. Just one thing: I find it ironic that in the "etiquette" section, you misspelled "etiquette" while instructing people to use correct grammar.
Just thought that was funny.

webkinzlover7654
webkinzlover7654
2,790 posts
Nomad

I saw all that and said I wouldn't read it, but then I did, and I think I might make an RPG soon. Nice job obould, How do you know so much??

webkinzlover7654
webkinzlover7654
2,790 posts
Nomad

I ment I would play RPGs better, the other comment was fo rthe other thread!

obould
obould
712 posts
Nomad

I know all of this based off of pure experience. I'm retiring, now with my RPG/RP creation, and have learned a lot of things when I was involved in all of this creation and playing.

Tossavainen
Tossavainen
402 posts
Peasant

You know, the thing with understanding what the creator is saying.. Gosh. I once made a "Stranded RPG" and there was a guy that couldn't figure out how rpg's work.. i mean, it took him 20 pages to figure out that.. actually i don't think he got it after that even..? but anyways, he kept saying stuff like "I've been on this island for several weeks now and i haven't eaten in days. I built a shelter from leaves but it still needs some work." I mean C'mon! I had just told him that he could join the rpg and i was telling him what he sees on the island, and there he is, telling what hes been doing for "weeks"! -.-

Btw, if i do make typo's here, that's just because i'm finnish, not because i didn't have enough time to type right or something like that :P

locoace3
locoace3
15,053 posts
Nomad

You know, the thing with understanding what the creator is saying.. Gosh. I once made a "Stranded RPG" and there was a guy that couldn't figure out how rpg's work.. i mean, it took him 20 pages to figure out that.. actually i don't think he got it after that even..? but anyways, he kept saying stuff like "I've been on this island for several weeks now and i haven't eaten in days. I built a shelter from leaves but it still needs some work." I mean C'mon! I had just told him that he could join the rpg and i was telling him what he sees on the island, and there he is, telling what hes been doing for "weeks"! -.-

i agree i've see some newbs basically direct themselves into situations and i just respond with "nooo..."
Capsha17
Capsha17
40 posts
Nomad

Love how to play this. So much better than going to a store and doing this. Much faster. Awesome grammar obould.

sonicheroes95
sonicheroes95
13,701 posts
Peasant

just a fair bit of warning, not everyone here lets people live if they act stupid. hell, you act stupid 3 times in a rpg i run, i find a good way to kill you. that's completely ironic while i'm at it. (****. YOU. BAD. WRITING. ABILITY.!)

xSlushh
xSlushh
16 posts
Nomad

Wow, very useful to make a Forum RPG...?

MonBon
MonBon
27 posts
Nomad

Thanks for this! It was really helpful

Showing 31-45 of 104