ForumsThe TavernFox, chicken, grain riddle

18 12356
Joe96
Joe96
2,233 posts
Peasant

You are a farmer trying to take your chicken, your fox, and your bag of grain across the river. You have a boat that will carry the farmer and one of the other three things. Basically, you can only take yourself and one other thing at a time. But, if you leave the grain with the chicken, the chicken will eat the grain. If you leave the fox with the chicken, the fox will eat it.
How do you get everything safely to the other side?

Oooo___MMM MMM _(a bad drawing of the farmer and the river)

• 18 Replies
holt24
holt24
1,133 posts
Nomad

Um this is kinda eay. You take the chicken first and that solves everythin.

halogunner
halogunner
807 posts
Nomad

yea make another riddle

Joe96
Joe96
2,233 posts
Peasant

Um this is kinda eay. You take the chicken first and that solves everythin.

But then what do you take next; if you take the fox, the chicken dies, if you take the grain, then the chicken eats that.
1337Player
1337Player
1,766 posts
Peasant

Take the chicken, go back and take the grain, bring the grain to the other side while taking the chicken back, put the chicken down and bring the fox back, go back and bring the chicken. There.

locoace3
locoace3
15,053 posts
Nomad

or you could just take the grain then the fox then the chicken or let the fox eat the chicken and your problem is solved

Joe96
Joe96
2,233 posts
Peasant

or you could just take the grain then the fox then the chicken or let the fox eat the chicken and your problem is solved

one problem...
How do you get everything safely to the other side?
locoace3
locoace3
15,053 posts
Nomad

grain fox and chicken i just said so yeah try and make another harder one

Hypermnestra
Hypermnestra
26,390 posts
Nomad

1. Take chicken across river to Side 2.
2. Come back and take the grain across the river to Side 2, then get the chicken from Side 2.
3. Bring chicken back to Side 1 and take the fox across to Side 2.
4. Go back to Side 1, get chicken, bring chicken back to Side 2.
Orr.....
1. Shell out and stop being such a cheapskate. Buy a ferry instead of a little skiff.

Hypermnestra
Hypermnestra
26,390 posts
Nomad

grain fox and chicken i just said so yeah try and make another harder one

Wouldn't the fox eat the chicken?
1337Player
1337Player
1,766 posts
Peasant

Lol @aknerd

Joe, you should make another riddle since this one has been solved and you don't want this topic to get locked.

Oblivior
Oblivior
786 posts
Nomad

Easy, feed the fox to the chicken. The chicken will be full and cannot eat the grain, and the fox cannot eat the chicken because the chicken ate the fox! Problem solved.

skater_kid_who_pwns
skater_kid_who_pwns
4,376 posts
Blacksmith

http://brainden.com/crossing-river.htm

scrool down, find the game.

None of you can beat it without cheating. I did, you can ask nemo if you don't belive me.

1337Player
1337Player
1,766 posts
Peasant

I beat it! Seriously it took a while but I beat it.

skater_kid_who_pwns
skater_kid_who_pwns
4,376 posts
Blacksmith

List your steps. haha.

I got it down to science now. The frog one under it is much easier, but took me a few minutes.

I find the river crossing one intresting, beacuse it is a japanese IQ test, that some companies use for job applicants.

Voyageur
Voyageur
79 posts
Nomad

Take the chicken across first, the go back and take the wolf, substitue the wolf on the other side for the chicken, the bring the chicken back, and substitute that for the grain, then bring the grain to the wolf's side, then go back for the chicken.

The real question is, wouldn't the wolf eat the chicken, who ate the grain once you get them all to the other side?

Showing 1-15 of 18