ForumsNews and FeedbackForum Tool Updates

438 148708
cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

In a nutshell, we don't know.

That should clear up everyone's questions, right? Good ...

As a development team and as a company, we know that the forums are extremely important to some of you, and we know that some of you have put a lot (!!!!) of effort into building up the community here, especially those who have written the more creative poetic stuff. C'mon, how many of you have > 5,000 posts, raise your hands. That amount of effort is *staggering*. Seriously, I think the highest post count I've seen was ~8400? Over 2.5 years, that'd be like 10 posts EVERY DAY since AG2 launched.

The effort of migrating that much data from AG2 to AG3 is almost as staggering, since the guy who wrote the AG2 forum software didn't make it terribly efficient, and the way we're linking accounts, etc., between the two systems might cause problems. Trying to migrate it to AG3 will be a pretty big job, and it will probably fall in my lap since I'm sorta the database guru around here, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's up to me whether I want to do it or not. If Dan says do it, I do it.

Whether we start over, and wipe everything, and build a new forum engine, or implement someone else's forum software, remains to be discussed internally because it's not a critical feature for us yet. That doesn't mean it's not important to us, it just means we have to get core features working like, y'know, logging in.

Will we migrate old posts into the new forum software? It depends whether we can find an easy way to make the old forum data compatible. Nothing's *impossible* but it's also not practical for us to spend development time (read: dollars) for us to spend a big amount of effort trying to sort stuff out so it's all perfect and pristine.

If we start over with forum posts, will we archive the old forums? Again, nothing's impossible, but I can't answer that right now.

What will happen to your armor points for forum posts? Well, since armor points are also up in the air regarding the same sort of "wipe vs migrate" discussions, I can't answer that question right now either.

Please direct people asking about the future of AG2 forums to this thread if they start asking questions in other forums/threads. I'll post updates to this thread as I have more information.

• 438 Replies
Rand0mDude
Rand0mDude
10 posts
Nomad

one suggestion i have is making the forum button thing actually say "forum" instead of "community." and make it bigger and easier to notice. for a lot of the time that i've had an account on AG, i never noticed the forum.

Patrick2011
Patrick2011
12,321 posts
Treasurer

one suggestion i have is making the forum button thing actually say "forum" instead of "community." and make it bigger and easier to notice. for a lot of the time that i've had an account on AG, i never noticed the forum.

This has been suggested before and is a good idea.
Masterforger
Masterforger
1,824 posts
Peasant

We need some kind of clan forum. This has probably been suggested, but it's still a good idea.
Also;

AG v3 Coming Soon!

Updated: Two years ago.
Armpit
Armpit
784 posts
Nomad

We need some kind of clan forum. This has probably been suggested, but it's still a good idea.

It has been suggested in the Groups and Clans discussion.
MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,747 posts
King

[quote]one suggestion i have is making the forum button thing actually say "forum" instead of "community." and make it bigger and easier to notice. for a lot of the time that i've had an account on AG, i never noticed the forum.

This has been suggested before and is a good idea.[/quote]

I've posted it in another thread already, but I guess this thread is best suited for my brain fart! =)

How about a new button like this :

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8042/7983549756_23ceb15a6a_m_d.jpg

Very noticable and easy to find I say! =D
Gamer_Cale
Gamer_Cale
1,372 posts
Nomad

I think their is definetly a call for sub forums on stickies as they are everything about something this just gets messy and I think if there was sub forums inside stickies this would help to keep it clean and easier to find what your looking for.

MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,747 posts
King

I think their is definetly a call for sub forums on stickies as they are everything about something this just gets messy and I think if there was sub forums inside stickies this would help to keep it clean and easier to find what your looking for.

I get what you mean and this is a good idea for the FAQ section (if/when they will make this) on ArmorGames, but the stickies are actually very nicely sorted out and have a good divide in categories right now.
Next to that, the moderators are always working on shortening the list by molding several stickies into one giant sticky, if the topics and categories allow of course...
70_70_70
70_70_70
393 posts
Peasant

Hi there, I didnt know about this thread, so I posted another thread about a very important thing that AG should make: a SEARCH BUTTON OR SEARCH BOX in the forum, bcoz it will help the users find their wanted thread much more effectively and faster XD
anw, here is the link to my thread: http://armorgames.com/community/thread/10549027/there-should-be-a-search-button-or-search-box-in-ags-forum/page/1#post-10549384

and I DO HOPE AG will make that function soon lah XD

KingOfAthlum
KingOfAthlum
120 posts
Nomad

I do not know if this has been suggested but the site gamefaqs.com has a feature for their forums where you can track threads. Whether you wish to track them to keep them tabbed for new information posted. Or if you have posted in the thread personally. Either way it allows you to see when something new has been posted from your profile page instead of trudging through the thick of the forum itself.

This may have been suggested prior to this comment but I felt I would add it in case it was overlooked. This is a really good option for making forum browsing a breeze.

jasserkingdomrush
jasserkingdomrush
1 posts
Peasant

I think the site should stay as it is.

MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,747 posts
King

@ KingOfAthlum : You're right, it has been suggested before, but there's already a different way to keep track of threads you like, want to follow and post in regularly and that's linking them into your profile's about.

But aside from that, they will probably be implementing such a feature for users to track threads as they will be having a follow feature for users and this is something similar in my opinion...

Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

But aside from that, they will probably be implementing such a feature for users to track threads as they will be having a follow feature for users and this is something similar in my opinion...

You bet, and it's been confirmed already by cormyn.
GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,622 posts
Herald

and it's been confirmed already by cormyn.

Things can change. Like how Cormyn said they were just going to fully release AG3. Now they're just adding features one by one here.
MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,747 posts
King

Things can change. Like how Cormyn said they were just going to fully release AG3. Now they're just adding features one by one here.

Things changing for the better in my opinion GoM... I think it is wiser to install/implement the features one by one and thus have a way to immediately act upon a bug/glitch.
When launching a complete website provides more ground to cover at once and could make them miss some stuff with it's consequences attached to it... and I haven't even mentioned the transfer of data with this, both profiles as forums of course!
GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,622 posts
Herald

I think it is wiser to install/implement the features one by one and thus have a way to immediately act upon a bug/glitch.

The purpose of the beta.
Showing 406-420 of 438