ForumsNews and Feedback[AG3 Feature] Themes

34 12407
cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

Hey all, Larry just confirmed that he's working on a way to let users modify some aspects of the look/feel of the site. It will probably be limited to some basic color changes, but we're not going all MySpace on the site.

How we unlock that for you is yet to be determined.

• 34 Replies
Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,062 posts
Jester

I would personally like to see a theme that blackens the background and changes the color of the majority of the text to white. Barring Moderators and Admins ofcourse.

Maybe it's just me or maybe it helps others but I've noticed that this makes it a lot easier on the eyes to read. And for those of us that spend quite a bit of time on the forums this would be a great feature.

cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

When I referred to MySpace, I was referring to MySpace profiles that had blinky animated backgrounds or blinky text all over the place or color schemes that made it nearly impossible to read.

Depending on how we implement this as a feature, we might give users the ability to turn off other users' themes, so they can see a more uniform experience as they look at user profiles.

The themes/colors you set up would likely be hard-coded for launch, maybe a dozen or so (quantity subject to change) and we may expand out after that. We would NOT allow custom CSS/HTML/Javascript, because it could interfere with how the site itself operates.

thaboss
thaboss
1,649 posts
Nomad

wait, were gonna have to unlock it? NOT cool.

Joe96
Joe96
2,233 posts
Peasant

Like google chrome or more like a myspace deal?
In other words, are themes just for your profile or are they for the whole site?

ArmorL3gend
ArmorL3gend
239 posts
Peasant

I think themes will be a great feature for AG3, personally I would like backrounds, changable (readable) fonts, changable colours schemes.

atomicsquid1
atomicsquid1
22 posts
Nomad

the more customizable, the better.

cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

Folks, we've already said that we will not allow custom backgrounds on your profile page, and that the color schemes will be pre-defined. We don't want to run into a MySpace problem where profiles become unreadable because of glittery/animated images or dark colored fonts on dark backgrounds, etc.

jdoggparty
jdoggparty
5,860 posts
Nomad

Hey all, Larry just confirmed that he's working on a way to let users modify some aspects of the look/feel of the site. It will probably be limited to some basic color changes, but we're not going all MySpace on the site.

Could we change the color of each aspect, or would we just have one basic themed color?
cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

It will be a collection of pre-set colors for you, and will apply to certain bits of information. We'll work to make sure that the colors don't interfere with the readability of the page.

Avorne
Avorne
3,087 posts
Nomad

That sounds good. I'm glad you want to avoid what has indeed been dubbed 'MySpace Syndrome' in certain parts of the internet. When you say a collection of pre-set colors - do you mean we pick, for example, 2 or 3 (Primary, secondary and tertiary) colors and then those are applied - or we pick from several pre-defined color schemes?

cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

The latter: we'll have sets of pre-defined color packs to choose from.

Avorne
Avorne
3,087 posts
Nomad

Thanks for the clarification on that.

jdoggparty
jdoggparty
5,860 posts
Nomad

It will be a collection of pre-set colors for you, and will apply to certain bits of information. We'll work to make sure that the colors don't interfere with the readability of the page.

Ahh. I was thinking we could have 3 different parts of the theme, each one could change colors.
Joe96
Joe96
2,233 posts
Peasant

That might be an additional reward for AP (karma or whatever you're going to call it)

metaking
metaking
64 posts
Farmer

maybe if you got enough karma you could reverse( or invert, i'm not sure what it's called) the colors.( black becomes white, white becomes black, etc.)

Showing 16-30 of 34