ForumsThe Tavern[old] I need to convince my parents of something . . . .

12 2907
EnterOrion
EnterOrion
4,220 posts
Nomad

Important. Very important. So this better not be a mistake. I trust you guys to take this as serious business.

I've gotten the fairly idealistic idea of going to a decent boarding school, rather than being cooped up at home. And no, this is not the problem. Do not try to dissuade me out of it.

On to the problem. My mom is becoming a problem in this pursuit. As in, is the problem. Unfortunately I got on her bad side, so now trying to convince her will be less than easy. I do have my dad on my side, so that's a plus, but the two are not on a good level.

So help me out. While you can't really help me out IRL, you can give me some ideas that would help. Thank you.

• 12 Replies
Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,061 posts
Jester

Hmm, this is going to be fairly expensive so unless your family's fairly well off, you're going to an argument to cover for it. You can argue that you'd be receiving a much better education, and competition with other students would increase forcing you to push yourself harder.

1337Player
1337Player
1,766 posts
Peasant

So you're home schooled? And you want to go to a boarding school? You're making a difficult choice but okay.

So how did you get on her bad side?

What I would suggest is to do things good for a while until the tension died down. Then you can try to persuade her to send you to boarding school. I don't know. Could you explain more?

MRWalker82
MRWalker82
4,005 posts
Shepherd

Hmm, this is going to be fairly expensive so unless your family's fairly well off, you're going to an argument to cover for it. You can argue that you'd be receiving a much better education, and competition with other students would increase forcing you to push yourself harder.

This is a great approach, and you might mention the possibility of scholarships and having an easier time of getting into university coming out of a private school as opposed to being homeschooled.
Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,061 posts
Jester

Oh and if you do manage it, raid the Guidance Office bulletin board, they usually have one filled with scholarships that most people don't bother to even apply for. Chances are that at the end of the year you'll receive it simply by default.

Cenere
Cenere
13,657 posts
Jester

Sorry, I can't actually help.
However, a witty or otherwise comment:
You could always just get into a big fight with her and then yell something like "WELL, IF YOU HATE ME THAT MUCH YOU SHOULD SEND ME AWAY ON -boarding school-, THEN YOU WOULDN'T HAVE TO CARE ANY MORE!"

Basically, my parents couldn't afford a boarding school(ish) experience for me, so now I am one of the youngest at my school, the youngest in my class, and I still can't figure out to live alone, even though it has been 2 years.
Aka, getting away from home and live alone-er in an age where you aren't basically forced to is a good thing.

Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,061 posts
Jester

Another piece... (I keep remembering things after I post)

Being homeschooled you have limited interaction with others of your own age. Living alone at a distant school will not only make you learn how to function independently as Cen pointed out, but teach you how to build your own connections in a foreign place without any help.

steevo15
steevo15
1,562 posts
Peasant

I would suggest getting on your mothers good side, not because you want to persuade her to let you go to boarding school, but because it is the right thing to do.

Look up statistics on kids who go to boarding school and see if they succeed over kids who go to other schools. Research it, present it to your parents, and go from there.

EnterOrion
EnterOrion
4,220 posts
Nomad

Wait what. Sorry for the misunderstanding. I'm not actually homeschooled.

Dammit I need an edit button.

However, the information is still valuable. Thank you guys.

On the financial side, we more than likely qualify for most financial aid. We aren't the richest people on the planet, sadly. We be poor.

Keep ideas coming.

And sorry for the confusion. *fails at wording*

Mayatoto
Mayatoto
30 posts
Nomad

What are your mother's arguments for you not going? What are the reasons you want to go?

Would be easier to give some counter arguments if we knew what she was worried about.

Did you get on her bad side about this, or was it something else? Cos if you sorted out that first then it would help you.

Asherlee
Asherlee
5,001 posts
Shepherd

Also, explain to your mother that having an alma mater from a boarding school will help your network. You are more likely to get into a better college, receive scholarships, and even business contacts later on. It is VERY important to know people in high places when you enter the work world.

I promise you that it is mostly "who you know," not what you can do. How else do you think GW Bush Jr. made it through Harvard?

Another thing, is find out what classes they offer at the boarding school you are looking at and tell your mother: "Hey, XXXX school offers XXXXX course, which is what I would like to emphasize in advanced education."

Strop
Strop
10,816 posts
Bard

Are there bursaries/scholarships you can apply to for a place at this boarding school?

Joe96
Joe96
2,226 posts
Peasant

For college or what? I read it, and really didn't get exactly what your problem was, if you wanted to get on your mom's good side or if you wanted to go to boarding school. Anyway, I had some arguments with my folks too. I wanted a projector for my laptop (I thought it would be cool watching movies projected on my blinds). They said no and got really ticked off to put it lightly.

Showing 1-12 of 12