ForumsNews and FeedbackRelease date?

10 3945
IAaronJI
IAaronJI
17 posts
Nomad

Sorry if this already exists but when is the release for AG3?

• 10 Replies
Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,062 posts
Jester

The beta is set for late 2010, as for the actual release, that probably depends on how the beta testing goes.

Holden012
Holden012
1,989 posts
Nomad

I think they said full version will be out between 2011 and 2012.

cptbignuts12
cptbignuts12
709 posts
Nomad

i believe they said a few days after 2011

loloynage2
loloynage2
4,211 posts
Peasant

Will the beta be open for everyone or will it be only "invited people"? Because i would love to see the new AG

1337Player
1337Player
1,766 posts
Peasant

Will the beta be open for everyone or will it be only "invited people"? Because i would love to see the new AG

I guess you could say "invited people" but not exactly.

AG3 will come out in 2011.
Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,062 posts
Jester

The first batch of people will help with a "closed" beta, and they'll be doing the mundane work of clicking from page to page, making sure links work, that games load, achievements and activities work, etc. as we roll out those changes. The "closed" beta period will probably last a few weeks. These people will be hand-selected by employees of Armor Games, and we'll likely choose family and immediate close personal friends, and some (or all) of the moderators since they'll also have new tools to test. It may be as few as a couple of dozen people, tops.

While that closed beta is ongoing, we'll have an "open" beta signup page at beta.armorgames.com where you as users can give us your Email address, letting us know you're interested. We will not manually add any users who post &quotick me" or "here's my Email address" etc. in the forums. It will be up to you alone to go to beta.armorgames.com to give us your Email address. I'm actually building the underlying database/code for the sign-up process this week, but that's not necessarily indicative of the start of our beta process.

Once some of that core functionality is proven to be working by the closed beta group, then (and only then) will we begin sending out small quantities of invitation codes to the people who signed up at the open beta signup page. I don't know yet how many users we'll invite at a time, it might be as few as batches of 100 per day.

The invitation code will likely write a Flash cookie on your system so you can visit the site in every browser on your system without having to re-use your invitation code. We'll only give you a limited number of uses on the invitation code so that you can also activate another computer (ie, at home, work, school, whatever). Once your invitation code is used up, it's used up. We need to throttle the number of users on the system and SLOWLY ramp up the number of people on the site at a time, so sharing the code with friends won't prove very fruitful.

Those open beta users will help us more in load testing, to give us some idea of how many users a feature can support before we need to bring additional servers online. During this open beta phase, I believe games will be playable, comments and achievements and activities will be shown on the site, etc., and of course we'll love to hear feedback (good and bad) from everyone.

The open beta stage will be crucial to let us hear what you like and don't like about our implementation. Depending on the feedback we get, we may tweak things, or move things on the layout, or remove features, or work on new features, etc. so we expect the open beta to last at least a few weeks as well, if not overlapping into 2011.

As the open beta progresses, we will likely increase the number of daily invitations we send out, mostly for more load testing, but by that point, we'll likely "lock" our feature list and focus only on bugs. Ideally, the final stage of open beta will be as perfect as we want the site to be, and then we flip the switch and AG3 goes live and we let everyone in at the same time.

The only reason we're not giving AG3 beta users access to AG2 forums is because the two systems are not backward-compatible. If you want to post in the forums, you will need to leave the beta site to do so. If/When we get around to implementing a new forum system, it will be one of the last things we add to the site before we go live, since there's such a small fraction of users who post anything here.

All that said, I'm locking this thread to avoid any other speculation or misinformation. If something changes, I'll re-open the thread, post my update, and re-lock the thread.

That is a direct quote from Cormyn on how the Beta testing will work.
knight_34
knight_34
13,822 posts
Farmer

This is why we need a higher degree of attentiveness.

Trumpetfury
Trumpetfury
615 posts
Nomad

wow. lol, jk, i think AG3, pardon my french, is gonna be kick @$$. mainly cuz its completely user suggestions that make the site better! go AG developers...

Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,062 posts
Jester

You do of course realize that as AG users we're nigh impossible to please, and the second AGv3 comes out we'll start pointing out things that could be better, or need to be added?

cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

Yeah, we'd be silly to think we're going to make everyone 100% happy with what we do, but change is good, and sometimes it's important from a technology standpoint. AG2's software can't handle what we want to build and in the direction we want to go.

Which is why we have a beta release in the first place, to start getting some of that feedback, to see if we need to change course on anything.

Showing 1-10 of 10