ForumsNews and FeedbackRecovery questions

14 5747
Peter20
Peter20
543 posts
Peasant

Ok guys
i lost my account a few days ago and it took a while to get it back. That whole time I thought why can't we just have recovery questions? So why can't we? I think we could use some recovery questions on AG. What do you all think?

• 14 Replies
Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,508 posts
Jester

Speaking of password recovery, I was in a minifreakout when I thought my password changed, when I forgot it was case-sensitive. oopsie!

That would be faster, I guess. You could have a series of questions that you would set by yourself in case you misplace your password. After all the questions are all answered, the server could automatically generate a password for you to enter and change later.

Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,062 posts
Jester

This is a great idea, especially for those people who've changed e-mails, or simply forgot all of their info.

cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

Yup, good idea. I'll mention it to James, who's working on the user profile page at the moment.

cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

Larry's initial thoughts: wait to see how many people request it as a feature. Frankly we haven't had many support requests from people who can't remember their own Email address.

samy
samy
4,874 posts
Nomad

Larry's initial thoughts: wait to see how many people request it as a feature. Frankly we haven't had many support requests from people who can't remember their own Email address.

Agree and as long as the option have my recovery information sent to my email persists than I don't have a problem with a recovery question.
Joe96
Joe96
2,233 posts
Peasant

In the help section right?
That's not a bad idea.

Joe96
Joe96
2,233 posts
Peasant

Oh wait, now I get it. Like if you forget your password, you can ask for it to send you an e-mail with the password or answer a question.

Peter20
Peter20
543 posts
Peasant

thanks for the support i thought of someting else ok so when we click the forgot password? button, we get 2 options email recovery or recovery questions. if you choose recovery questions you'll get it in 2 mins if you click email recovery it will take untill they get the request then until they send the ermail with the new password i'd say it'd take about a day maby more

wingbird1
wingbird1
17 posts
Nomad

great idea i could have used it to recover my acc

Peter20
Peter20
543 posts
Peasant

do we have enough people yet cormyn or do we need more how many more i don't think we need more do we need more

Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,508 posts
Jester

I did a mock password recovery test, in which it took about 2 and a half days to have a link sent to change my password. If it may make the process for account recovery possible:

--Click on "forgot password"

--Be prompted with a small list of questions you yourself set in.

--After answering the questions, forcibly remove password and be given a randomized, programmed password. Afterwards, change the password, if you wish.

With this, account recovery would literally take ~10 minutes.
cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

Recovering a password via Email will be pretty quick, as it is right now, because it's just the system sending a generated message to your Email address.

A password recovery system using messages is easy to hack, because you know someone well enough and their recovery question is something like "what's the name of your pet?" or "what school do you go to?"

As I said in my reply, it's rare that someone forgets their own Email address.

Peter20
Peter20
543 posts
Peasant

i changed mine since ive started my acc because gmail shut me out and if someone's steam ID is their emiail adress and someone emails ag saying i lost my acc this is my email adress i started on but this is my new one boom acc stolen
also you souldn't put obvious questions you'd put ones like what city were you born in? and who was your first friend? whaqt's your fasvorite candy? what's your mother's madin name? things like that. i think it would also saved people alot of work in the future

cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

I'm going to write a new sticky thread soon that will explain our position on password recovery with AG3.

Showing 1-14 of 14