ForumsNews and FeedbackUser News

15 4849
jdoggparty
jdoggparty
5,860 posts
Nomad

Well, on the front page there is news, I was thinking the users could have a chance to right that news. Kind of like all the failed newspapers, but more official.

http://www.truploader.com/uploads/839133b.bmp

• 15 Replies
samy
samy
4,871 posts
Nomad

Well, on the front page there is news, I was thinking the users could have a chance to right that news. Kind of like all the failed newspapers, but more official.

Write.

Anyway the main problem with that is the news if often new information just put forth by the AG team.
Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,507 posts
Jester

Any updates or news from a normal user, depending on the type, can be discussed either via thread or profile. Any official, important news can be up on the front page, but only the team should have access to that.

Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,507 posts
Jester

That could be something to think about. I don't like the idea of it being a separate profile though. I suppose we can do something to rid the white space we have on our profiles when we have progressive abouts though

So...my idea is: on the right side of the profile, we have our bios. On the LEFT side, we have news updates on whatever the user wants it to be.

samy
samy
4,871 posts
Nomad

So...my idea is: on the right side of the profile, we have our bios. On the LEFT side, we have news updates on whatever the user wants it to be.

It's been said that we will have a news feed from other users on our profile somewhere. Hopefully it's more of a widget so that we can move it around.
Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,062 posts
Jester

Perhaps something akin to a news feed, where any achievements by users, new friends, 'status' posts (if those will exist) and other such things exist.

It would look something like this:

Avast Just gained their 1000th forum post!
Ye and Landlubbers are now friends.
Arrrrgh! just signed up to AG!
Piracy just gained their 15,000th Armor Point.
Blah just won the Haiku contest and was awarded a merit!
Bleep just was awarded a merit for their comment on [insert game]
[insert comment]

So on so forth.

Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,507 posts
Jester

^ This. Xfire has something similar to this, where it automatically updates the user's status achievements, as well as shows the user's friend's/clan members' achievements on his or her profile page.

jdoggparty
jdoggparty
5,860 posts
Nomad

That would attrack much spam though. Maybe the news could be a link on the front page saying "What's Interesting?" And it would tell all the popular threads, and game previews, etc.

Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,062 posts
Jester

What I'm referring to would be site wide, like a page everyone could go to, in order to see new sign ups, and people who needed to be congratulated etc.

1337Player
1337Player
1,766 posts
Peasant

Avast Just gained their 1000th forum post!
Ye and Landlubbers are now friends.
Arrrrgh! just signed up to AG!
Piracy just gained their 15,000th Armor Point.
Blah just won the Haiku contest and was awarded a merit!
Bleep just was awarded a merit for their comment on [insert game]
[insert comment]

Something like that except maybe excluding the friends, there could be hundreds of friend invitations all day. That would equal to more friends being made. Everything else is cool.
Darkroot
Darkroot
2,763 posts
Peasant

Sound like twitter which I hate. Also it would consists of at least 75% pointless drivel. The only thing I could think of as news would be the blog posts. They should be more prioritized in the new site.

Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,507 posts
Jester

Sound like twitter which I hate. Also it would consists of at least 75% pointless drivel. The only thing I could think of as news would be the blog posts. They should be more prioritized in the new site.

If this idea is something like Xfire, then it would be automatic, meaning the server updates the progression of the user. If they is user-made updates, then they are considered blogs.

With Ian's speculated features about following users and friends alike, that would basically just notify you whenever said user did something. What we are discussing right now are ways the user can post their own news. I say on the profile, whether it be user-made blog posts, or automatic progression updates like how Xfire has.
cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

Perhaps something akin to a news feed, where any achievements by users, new friends, 'status' posts (if those will exist) and other such things exist.

This is precisely what we're building. Except for the "Joe and John are now friends" kinds of posts, those will show up on your own profile page (if you are Joe or John, or a friend of either of them)
cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

What we are discussing right now are ways the user can post their own news

We're looking at ways for users to share news on their own profile pages. Larry's thinking about letting users add a few RSS feeds and publish the last 3 headlines from it, etc. and we're happy to hear other ideas.
Joe96
Joe96
2,233 posts
Peasant

Maybe a news section or a blog on users profiles where people could subscribe to blogs?

cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

Well, we don't want it so much as a place where you can read your CNN news or something, it's meant more as a "here's MY blog, and here are the last few things I've written"

Showing 1-15 of 15