ForumsWEPRSerial Killers

32 7509
crazyrussian97
crazyrussian97
256 posts
Shepherd

[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_killer]
I have always wondered what drives people to committing such acts. They seem to do it as casually as talking about the weather despite the generally gruesome nature of their acts. In a twisted way they fascinate me because they defy logic, killing for no reason (like revenge). Feel free to share your opinions on why these people do what they do.

• 32 Replies
crazyrussian97
crazyrussian97
256 posts
Shepherd

But in their trial, i think they should still get death. Doesn;t matter what happned to you.

That's a cruel way of looking at it. I do think they should be put to death but becasue they are dangerous and are so epmty without killing anyway. Most sociopaths and phsycopaths have been so bleached of humanity that they wouldn't even care about dying.
Cenere
Cenere
13,658 posts
Jester

Their was this mob hitman, he killed over 200 people i think. He had a family, his wife loved him. His kids called him dada. But, when he killed someone, he taped it for the boss and a lot of times he tied them up and had rats eat them alive. I wondered why he would do this.

Same way a number of soldiers are able to kill their opponent in close combat. You either have the ability to shut it off, or you objectify the victims.
Most people are actually utterly unable to kill another human being because we share body language, gestures and facial expressions. Some have psychopathic traits and while they are able to kill a lot of people, they can set this aside entirely when they are not "on duty", and can be as empathic as any other person.
This could easily explain why the hitman was able to do what he did. It is his job, after all, and with a family alongside, he can't lack emotions entirely.
EnterOrion
EnterOrion
4,223 posts
Nomad

HiddenxBeast, you must be referring to Richard "The Iceman" Kuklinski. He was special. He wasn't your average serial killer, his methods were far more impersonal and business like. Each kill was just another day on the job.

Serial killers are a favorite subject of mine, and I love reading about them, watching documentaries, and definitely watching them speak. You look at it from an objective point of view, and you literally gaze into the abyss. My favorites are Dnepropetrovsk Maniacs, quick and brutal, and Ted Bundy, his for obvious reasons. But serial killers are vast and varying, and none of them are the same. They all have various motives, various methods, and vary greatly in people.

You'll never know everything about them, trust me.

Also, if anyone has some good, not-so-known serial killers, I'd love to hear about them.

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

I think child hood trauma has a lot to do with it. But in their trial, i think they should still get death. Doesn;t matter what happned to you.

This isn't the case for everyone, some serial killers have not gone through such childhood trauma and still turned out messed up. While I'm sure such traumas could fuel the fire I don't think it is the main cause. As social animals we have a useful ingrained empathy. This allows us to associate with one another and even other things in a way that can allow us to function as a community. But what if the mechanism is malfunctioning or not functioning at all? Think what humans do to things we don't associate with on such a level.
MRWalker82
MRWalker82
4,005 posts
Shepherd

Same way a number of soldiers are able to kill their opponent in close combat. You either have the ability to shut it off, or you objectify the victims.

To a certain point, but there is still a very large gap to made between dehumanizing your target and actually not feeling anything for the victim. Even when you dehumanize a target and recognize that your actions are necessary there is still a major emotional trauma that goes on, and this is not present in sociopaths.
Cenere
Cenere
13,658 posts
Jester

To a certain point, but there is still a very large gap to made between dehumanizing your target and actually not feeling anything for the victim. Even when you dehumanize a target and recognize that your actions are necessary there is still a major emotional trauma that goes on, and this is not present in sociopaths.

Obviously.
I believe the continuation of the programme, that stated that about 2 percent of all people are able to kill face to face (half of these are actual psychopaths), was mentioning how soldiers could be trained to the point where they will be able to kill automatically, and they would focus on how they still became mentally scarred. Sadly I did not watch it.
If you see the opponent's face, and you are forced to kill them, you will have an emotional response to this. Even if you hate their guts.

Unless of course you have no empathy, are socially off or in general perhaps should be locked up somewhere.
Sadly, I think somehow the internet is fuelling this, not only because we use a lot of time here, sheltered from actual social interaction with other human beings, but also because some take the behaviour from here and into real life.
AnaLoGMunKy
AnaLoGMunKy
1,574 posts
Blacksmith

And, well, I wouldn't say they defy logic, it is just not our logic as a society they follow.

Ditto...

Killing is not wrong, but I think it is, so does society.

Cereal killers just dont follow the rules set down by society.

I killed two bits of toast this morning. Yum.
checker702
checker702
211 posts
Nomad

serial killers are stupid and faulty people. they kill many people in fun.

Efan
Efan
3,086 posts
Nomad

serial killers are stupid

That comment is quite ignorant. Serial killers;successful ones anyway, have to be quite intelligent to avoid police. Especially these days with modern forensics.
I killed two bits of toast this morning.

did they struggle? I have had that before
Sadly, I think somehow the internet is fuelling this,

Death to internet chat rooms! oh. wait... but seriously I think a lot of people let it take over their lives. I watch my time spent on the internet carefully.
I think child hood trauma has a lot to do with it.

Why so serious?
wajor59
wajor59
909 posts
Nomad

Just food for thought, let's not confuse the serial killer with the contract mercenary. The mercenary is not an honorable soldier and I would hazard to guess have glitches in their wiring or deep psychosis like what MrWalker's referring to.
Contract killers are a special breed of animal that I equate with predators. They actually hunt their victim like cats do mice.

The only serial killer I followed closely, me and the rest of the South during '79-81, was Wayne Bertram Williams, the Atlanta Child Murderer.
He always claimed to be innocent but strangely all murders stopped when he was captured. The interesting thing was the racial aspects of the crimes, contrary to popular opinion, these murders were not carried out by a crazed white man but this was a black man hunting down black kids. I don't think this has ever been repeated and I truly believe it is unique as being the only time a black man has committed this type of serial killing?

Sarthra21
Sarthra21
1,079 posts
Nomad

Well there's a multitude of reasons why someone would go on a murderous rampage. Here's a few;
-Mentally Unstable(Insane, suffering from a psychosis.)
-Social Reject and/or the Kid Who Got Picked On.
-Bored and had nothing to live for.

EnterOrion
EnterOrion
4,223 posts
Nomad

but also because some take the behaviour from here and into real life.

Lets not forget homicidal desensitization from places like 4chan and /b/.

Blood sells, it sells cheap.

Dnepropetrovsk Maniacs, who were they?

Rawr

They're the two the did the '3 Guys 1 Hammer' video. They killed 21 people in about a month. They drew a fine line between spree killers and serial killers, and can be taken as either or.
AnaLoGMunKy
AnaLoGMunKy
1,574 posts
Blacksmith

[quote]I killed two bits of toast this morning.

did they struggle? I have had that before [/quote]

Only for a second, then I burned them alive and ate them.

Killing is a natural part of life. You dont need to be "mentally unstable" to do it. If you are a soldier and go in the military and knowingly kill someone, that does not make you "mentally unstable".

How about we stop looking at this from a one-sided point of view by saying "killing is wrong, messed up and soooo evil" etc etc etc.

If this is the case then why is the act of killing a non real computer game sprite in MW2 not evil. You are knowingly re-enacting killing. On purpose. Thats murder! Killing is not wrong nor evil...

It does not, however, make for a very stable, happy or safe society.
crazyrussian97
crazyrussian97
256 posts
Shepherd

How about we stop looking at this from a one-sided point of view by saying "killing is wrong, messed up and soooo evil" etc etc etc.

Killing for certain purposes isn't wrong, such as for youe country (as a soldier) or in self defense. The type of killing done by serial is simply for cruel amusement. People need to differentiate between the different kinds of killing.
AnaLoGMunKy
AnaLoGMunKy
1,574 posts
Blacksmith

Killing for certain purposes isn't wrong, such as for youe country (as a soldier) or in self defense. The type of killing done by serial is simply for cruel amusement. People need to differentiate between the different kinds of killing.

Nope... if a soddier thinks he/she is "killing" for their country as some kind of patriotic peacekeeping act then they are misguided. Have you ever watched videos of sodiers killing people. Some of these dudes either enjoy it or have become numb to what they do.

Dont dress it up. Killing is not wrong. It has its place. There is a reason why some people enjoy killing more than others. We need to know what makes humans tick, now more than ever.
Showing 16-30 of 32