Forums

ForumsWorld Events, Politics, Religion, Etc.

[ Necro] Psychopaths: Jailing someone before they strike

Thread Locked

Posted Oct 21, '10 at 11:29pm

EnterOrion

EnterOrion

4,372 posts

Those could also be caused by a number of other disorders.

Psychopathy isn't a classified medical disorder in itself, more of a state of mind.

But yes, this is correct. Even personality types (like me) may be perceived as having psychopathic traits, while not being actually psychopathic. This could be a point of confusion.

Posted Oct 22, '10 at 12:40am

deserteagle

deserteagle

1,712 posts

You actually want to suspend Hebraus Corpus? I don't particularly care for a military dictatorship.

Plus, how do we define a "psychopath"?

Posted Oct 22, '10 at 1:33am

MRWalker82

MRWalker82

4,178 posts

How would you even know? Most people who are psychopathic or sociapathic lead perfectly normal lives for the most part. There's nothing to really set them apart.

Exactly. The only way to truly assess if one possesses a level of psychosis it to admit them and analyze them. However this typically only happens AFTER the person has exhibited clear signs, often some crime.

Furthermore, it would simply be illegal to hold them on the basis of some form of psychosis. If we are to go that far then why not eliminate them since we can't have them in society. This would be a 'slippery slope' legislation and an appalling abuse of basic civil rights.

Posted Oct 22, '10 at 12:26pm

Asherlee

Asherlee

5,331 posts

Knight

However this typically only happens AFTER the person has exhibited clear signs, often some crime.

I agree. But let's do a hypothetical. Little Johnny has displayed a lack of empathetic behaviors along with sadistic tendencies. He finally takes the family cat and skins him alive. Now, locking this child up is not the best answer. But leaving him in his home environment with his mother? Nope.

Now, you've got a pretty scary child on your hands. I would propose a special, guarded school.

Posted Oct 22, '10 at 1:00pm

Freakenstein

Freakenstein

9,532 posts

Did someone mention civil rights in here? Okay, civil rights. You can't just lock up witches for being a witch. Though we have locked up witches, sent them into internment camps, and otherwise executed witches, we have to find it in our hearts as rational Americans and not lock up witches before they show us that they are witches.

Witches.

Posted Oct 22, '10 at 1:02pm

Asherlee

Asherlee

5,331 posts

Knight

It is like Walker said, we are on a slippery slope. So, we shouldn't be surprised when Michael Myers kills someone.

Posted Oct 22, '10 at 3:24pm

Gamer_Cale

Gamer_Cale

1,421 posts

just put death penalty on anyone who kills another human simples not hard locking people up changes nothing killing them is right

Posted Oct 22, '10 at 4:03pm

Asherlee

Asherlee

5,331 posts

Knight

Word salad?

What in the world...?

Posted Oct 22, '10 at 4:21pm

Freakenstein

Freakenstein

9,532 posts

"Just put death penalty on anyone who kills another human. Simple; not hard locking people up--changes nothing; killing them is right."

There we go! Now we understand the word salad with the added condiments.

With this, anyone who is proven insane or psychopathic will not be given the death penalty, as they are suffering an "illness" or "disorder" or "state of mind". They will instead go to a mental institution with the correct type.

Posted May 20, '14 at 5:35am

dindar

dindar

3 posts

I am confused with my behavior and my actions. I do not have empathy and neither i am feeling sympathy for humans. When ever i read about psychopathy i feel angry and depressed so it means i am not psychopath or i want to get out from psychopath personality. When i took this quiz it suggested me to bring changes. If i am going to become a good person then it is not my fault so i may need rehabilitation.