ForumsWEPRCannibalism and Morality

51 8588
crazenird
crazenird
329 posts
Nomad

Ok guys, i have a question, all opinions welcome and invited.

Is it immoral to be a cannibal? im not talking killing someone to eat them, im saying once they're dead, is there anything wrong with eating them?

And please, no chatspam or posts saying 'cannibalism is gross and descusting and <insert adjective here>' im looking for opinions about morality, not whether it should be done or not.

Crazenird

• 51 Replies
Graham
Graham
8,052 posts
Nomad

People can't be offended if they don't know.

crazenird
crazenird
329 posts
Nomad

true no one would be offended but would it be considered immoral to eat another hum being?

crazenird
crazenird
329 posts
Nomad

in my opinion, it would be immoral to eat someone, unless in a life-threatening situation, i dont know why, but it just seems wrong

Graham
Graham
8,052 posts
Nomad

i dont know why, but it just seems wrong

I don't want to get too deep in this... stayed up all night and my time is AG's time (7:18am)

You feel it's wrong because you've been taught it's wrong. All taboos are instituted by society which was infinitely influenced by religion. Where did religion get it?

Who was the first to determine wrong?
BenTheBozer
BenTheBozer
815 posts
Nomad

Well it's only taboo in modern societys, go back 50-100 years small island nations still ate each other, EG: Fiji and NewZealand. As for the reason it is taboo I would not have a clue, it's a way of recycleing.

crazenird
crazenird
329 posts
Nomad

i dunno, maybe thats the question i should be asking....

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

Well, basically you're just reusing ressources instead of burrying them in the ground and thus feeding the worms (and other critters). I understand some would think of it as immoral, I probably wouldn't eat a person I'd known before myself; but if I was to go to a restaurant and there was a 'human steak' menu or something like that, I would try it without much hesitation. Ya know, keeping it anonymous and such.
And also, it's probably much more economic to eat the meat of humans than of cows, who need a lot of grain to grow and produce a lot of gases.

crazenird
crazenird
329 posts
Nomad

mmm.....nice point it would be economically ....good (damnit cant find right word)

1337Player
1337Player
1,766 posts
Peasant

I don't think that it would be immoral. In a life threatening situation you would have to eat something. And I don't mind trying some human meat as long as it's the meat of someone I don't know. But if the meat tastes horrible then I wouldn't eat humans again.

MRWalker82
MRWalker82
4,005 posts
Shepherd

Is it immoral to be a cannibal? im not talking killing someone to eat them, im saying once they're dead, is there anything wrong with eating them?

Personally I don't think so. However given the diet of your average human in the industrialized nations of the world I would personally rather eat meat which is healthier. Humans put far too many toxins in their bodies these days and that cannot be greatly beneficial to someone who consumes the meat, especially as a regular part of their diet.
angelos6
angelos6
104 posts
Farmer

Why to eat them?Are they so delicious?Go eat some burgers to satisfy your hunger.Now,in extreme situations where you must survive,eatting from a dead corpse(that you dint killed) would be more logical.But this subject has to do with religion and its moral standards.There are some tribes where cannibalism is normal,so it depends on many factors.Also,most people wouldnt like to eat their beloved person or have them being eaten by others.In my point of view,i wouldnt let it.

P.S.Sorry for any grammar or syntax mistakes.

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

However given the diet of your average human in the industrialized nations of the world I would personally rather eat meat which is healthier. Humans put far too many toxins in their bodies these days and that cannot be greatly beneficial to someone who consumes the meat, especially as a regular part of their diet.

Another human would likely be a very healthy meal. It contains everything the human body needs, because it is a human body.

Are they so delicious?

From reports of people who have had to resort to cannibalism it tastes pretty good a bit like steak. Though keep in mind these were condition of starvation so it's likely nearly any food would have tasted good.

There are some tribes where cannibalism is normal

There was always this one tribe (can't remember their name) that would grind the bones of a person into a powder and drink them as a sort of tea. They thought by doing this they were taking the essence of the person into them. This was usually done by parents who's child had died. Saying that you would drink someones bones after they die is considered the highest compliment you can give.
Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,062 posts
Jester

I don't consider it to be so. But at the same time I can't say I would do it. Also, Walker makes an excellent point, with all the toxins being put into our bodies, I highly doubt that it would safe to eat them.

MRWalker82
MRWalker82
4,005 posts
Shepherd

Another human would likely be a very healthy meal. It contains everything the human body needs, because it is a human body.

We ingest foods which our body then converts into what we need. Part of the necessity of our diet is the conversion of these foods into other products. By ingesting these things already converted for use in the human body they would be rejected by the stomach and would be mostly wasted.

Cows eat plants, but we do not get the plant nutrients from our steak, we have to eat the plants as well. Same with consuming another human. Simply because they ingest similar foods to what we need doesn't mean that those nutrients are ready for use in our bodies.
Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,062 posts
Jester

The muscle would likely be very healthy though, considering the sheer amount of it in most humans.

Showing 1-15 of 51