ForumsNews and FeedbackVote Power

16 5007
kylethedude
kylethedude
25 posts
Nomad

I think that the more votes and comments and forum posts you have should affect how much your votes are worth on games. Newgrounds uses this and it's pretty cool.

• 16 Replies
cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

Maybe. In theory I like the idea, it rewards those who the rest of the community feels is contributing quality content.

We'd definitely have to pair this with a way to tell WHO is voting up your comments though. If your circle of 50 friends are all voting up every single thing you write, then their votes should count less toward your overall reputation.

Secretmapper
Secretmapper
1,748 posts
Nomad

Pretty much would give people more reasons to spam. But the idea is good.

MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,747 posts
King

The idea is nice, but like secretmapper said as well, it's very likely to become a spam risk if you ask me... :/

And frankly... the idea of "the more people gain in points, the more they would have to say" is something I wouldn't like to see implemented...

In my book, every user of AG is equal!

If someone who has (let's use the current AP system for this example) 10,000 AP has more to say than a person with 200 AP... where's the benefit of this?!

A person with 10,000 AP might just as well dislike a certain game compared to that 200 AP user and there's nothing to gain when he would have more say in putting his vote on the table... *aha* ...or am I missing something?

I just don't see any use with this... 0_o

Joe96
Joe96
2,233 posts
Peasant

If points were less for friends, couldn't some people de-friend people just so they would vote higher? That would take a little effort, but some people would probably do it.

cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

Theoretically, Joe, yes, they could, but then would lose the benefit of being friends.

MrDayCee, keep in mind that Armor Points won't work the same way on AG3 as they do on AG2.

Secretmapper
Secretmapper
1,748 posts
Nomad

Theoretically, Joe, yes, they could, but then would lose the benefit of being friends.

MrDayCee, keep in mind that Armor Points won't work the same way on AG3 as they do on AG2.

Can you give us a link so we can read how it works?
SirLegendary
SirLegendary
16,583 posts
Duke

I think that the more votes and comments and forum posts you have should affect how much your votes are worth on games. Newgrounds uses this and it's pretty cool.

Are you saying about voting people up, or voting their posts or something?? I don't understand what you mean?
1337Player
1337Player
1,766 posts
Peasant

I think this is a good idea except for one thing, their rep. Their voting power should based on their rep and not post count or anything as they could be spamming or such. Having your voting power be dependent on rep would make more sense.

cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

Secretmapper, there's a sticky post here in the AG3 forum about how the points will work.

Legend_beast, he means that the higher your reputation, the more reputation your likes/dislikes give to someone else.

1337Player, the quantity of posts have nothing to do with reputation. Their reputation will be based on how people vote on their content (if they even vote at all)

MRWalker82
MRWalker82
4,005 posts
Shepherd

Query: How will the reputation be obtained in reference to "voting power"? Will it be strictly based on ratings of game comments, or will it be a combination of gaming comments as well as forum posts?

And golly you're working late Ian

1337Player
1337Player
1,766 posts
Peasant

So you vote to get reputation? Oh, I thought it was the other way around. Well this makes everything different to me now!

cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

To clear it up, the idea we had was that posting comments, etc., would NOT grant you any points or reputation, like the Armor Points system now. However, if someone "likes" your comment, your reputation value would go up by some amount. If the person who liked your content was a 'friend', the vote would count for less than a 'follower', and if a complete stranger liked it, it would be worth the highest amount of reputation -- to you. The voter gains no benefit from voting.

kylethedude's idea was that if your own reputation gets raised to a certain level (because people like your content), then the amount of reputation given to someone else when YOU vote for THEIR content should be higher than another user of the same type (friend, follower, stranger).

However, this could lead to vote spam, so we're NOT going to adjust the amount of reputation you gain based on the reputation of the person voting.

latpasko
latpasko
295 posts
Nomad

To clear it up, the idea we had was that posting comments, etc., would NOT grant you any points or reputation, like the Armor Points system now...

then whould you need less points to gain armatars and ranks?
cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

Points will work differently in AG3

Secretmapper
Secretmapper
1,748 posts
Nomad

What if people make numerous account to earn reputation

Showing 1-15 of 16