ForumsWEPRWhats the deal with artificial colors?

7 4347
BluBla
BluBla
41 posts
Nomad

What the hell is wrong with artificial colors they make most kids hyper they shuold be illegal if you agree or dissagree just say what you think(as long as you dont break the rules)

• 7 Replies
LiL_GaNgSta_BlAzE
LiL_GaNgSta_BlAzE
2,283 posts
Jester

What the hell is wrong with artificial colors they make most kids hyper they shuold be illegal if you agree or dissagree just say what you think(as long as you dont break the rules)

First I don't think that they should be illegal, If the parents don't want there kid to be hyper, buy something with natural colors or flavers (ect)... besides sometimes the artifical stuff is better them SOME of the natural stuff. And i don't think something should be illegal because some kind of side effect such as hyperness (is that evan a word??)
If the colors did something like kill or poison someone then they should be illagle, and most things are made from artiffical colors that you eat ya know?
DivineDarkness
DivineDarkness
1,226 posts
Nomad

well myself is an 11 year old kid and i dont like candy very much because it makes me feel like crap 5 minutes after i eat it, and thats because all of that crappy stuff they do to the cocoa or the sugar, like this one time i ate this fruit roll up and then on the back every fruit had the word concentrated on the back and concentrated means that they take the fruit, and squeeze all of the juicy, water stuff out of it, and thats what I like in fruits, juice, sorta like that apple crisps the armorgames people seem to like, i hate those things.

SkullZero1
SkullZero1
511 posts
Nomad

What about energy drinks? That would get you even more hyper. How about coffee? You would have to make anything that got you an equal or more amount of hyperness illegal if that went illegal. I dont see that hapaning, expesialy in a world that they don't make things illegal even if side affects include death (tabaco).

Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

This used to be a very big deal- scientific research suggests that commonly used chemicals used in some coloring agents aren't exactly good for you, not just in making kids hyper (though certain colors tend to do exactly this!) The FDA has already banned the vast majority of them due to their being proven carcinogens (cancer-causing), among other things.

From this site, comes the following:

Only nine certified colors are approved for use in food by the FDA. These are FD&C Blues 1 & 2, Green 3, Reds 3 & 40, Yellows 5 & 6. Orange B & Citrus Red 2. are restricted to specific uses, and Red 3 is joining them soon. Obviously there is some risk in these three FDA-approved colors, or their usage wouldn't be restricted.

You may wish to keep this in mind when checking the ingredients on the label of any food/drink product you're buying (a practice I highly recommend!)

What's the deal with artificial colors, anyway? this article gives pretty much the main answer:

...the color of food speaks to humans' innate perceptions about the value of food items.

Humans are born with brains that are preprogrammed with the ability to learn language; or to recognize certain inherent dangers such as falling off a ledge. We also have all kinds of behaviors built in for survival. One of the survival strategies our ancestors developed was the ability to recognize foods containing usable energy or nutrition.

It's this that is exploited by certain companies, especially, it seems, when the nutritional value of the food you're eating is particularly questionable.

As you get older, you may find those super-strong flavored lollies you used to guzzle by the packetful don't taste so great. This is hopefully because you're becoming more aware of what you eat, and your palette is becoming more refined. At least, I hope this is the case- but for many it may not be, which is related to why countries like American, Australia and England are stricken with such a terrible obesity epidemic.
Flipski
Flipski
623 posts
Nomad

Artificial colors don't make kids hyper, its just a coloring agent. All they are, are chemicals that make your food look appealing. Its usually all of the sugars and corn syrup that is usually in colored food that makes kids hyper.

I personally don't like eating food that has coloring or preservatives added. Its a bunch of random chemicals that you don't need, and naturally wouldn't eat in the wild.

Who knows, even if the FDA regards them as "safe for general consumption" we always find out that things are killing us after years of tests and after years of people consuming the products.

Also, even if the chemicals are completely safe on their own, they can and some are even know to, combine and react inside your body with other chemicals you are eating to creat toxins and carcinogens.

Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

Artificial colors don't make kids hyper, its just a coloring agent.

Huh? You realise that the latter statement is not really a sufficient support of your claim. But okay, I'll concede that "coloring makes kids hyper" is purely anecdotal, and you're more likely to find those claims on sites with a 'natural foods' political agenda (such as the links I cited above).

Furthermore you're right- it's the refined sugars that are more likely to cause the hyperness.

Anyway, let's have ourselves an official source: Here's what the US FDA has to say on the matter, and here's the root page. Of course this is the official US stance; other countries may vary slightly but for now it should suffice.

kanethebrain
kanethebrain
242 posts
Nomad

The downsides of artificial colors are... well, not medically proven, but I doubt that it causes excessive energy in children. I think we can blame the sugar in candy for that.

Not to mention that if you took the coloring out, sales for a lot of products would drop. It's not harmful and it makes your food look better, so I'd leave it alone.

Of course, I buy most of my food in ways other than out of the TV dinner section, so I skip out on most food coloring anyways.

Showing 1-7 of 7