ForumsWEPRRace to Space!

22 6813
crazynaitor
crazynaitor
2,612 posts
Jester

Who do you think one the race to space Russia or USA?

Russia:
1957= USSR puts Sputnik 1 into space.It is the first sattelite.A dog, called Laika is the first living creature in space.The Space Ace begins.

1961=
Yuri Gagarin of the USSR is the first human in space.

1963=
Valentina of the USSR is the first women to space.

1965=
Alexei Leonov is the first person to walk in space.

1986=
Russian Mir Space Station is launched.

USA:

1958=
The USA launches its first satellite into space.

1961=
Alan Shepard follows Yuri Gagarin and becomes the first American man in space.

1969=
The Apollo 11 lands on the moon on 20 July.Neil Armstrong is the first person on the moon.

1976=
Viking 1 and 2 land on the red planet Mars.

1986=
Space Shuttle Challenger explodes,killing all seven crew members.

Who do you actually think won?If you have anymore please just post it here.Thanks!

• 22 Replies
Ricador
Ricador
3,722 posts
Shepherd

Russia won duh because they were the first ones in.

But as for today the U.S. is ahead because we have more technology.

Craze77
Craze77
813 posts
Peasant

I think the greatest nation in the world won..... The UNITED STATES!!!!!!!!

kanethebrain
kanethebrain
242 posts
Nomad

@Craze77: Did you have anything other than blind patriotism to bring here? I think we've established that the US did pretty poorly in a lot of areas WRT the space race.

@Ricador: The US has a technological lead, but I'm not so sure it's helping us that much. We still rely on the Russians to do a lot of the heavy lifting, the shuttles keep going kablooey, and the Europeans and the Japanese had more to do with the ISS than we did.

Ricador
Ricador
3,722 posts
Shepherd

@Kanethebrian: Yeah good point we do tend to lean back on them a lot but we can do that because we help them along with there technology. And as for the kablooies...well. THE EVIL LEMURS DID IT THE GOD DAMN LEMURS DID IT!!!!! XD

Strongbow
Strongbow
324 posts
Nomad

I believe that the next real endeavors into space will have to be a joint effort among nations in order to have any real success.

The ISS is a really good example of what everyone can do when they work together.. (cue the sappy music.)

kanethebrain
kanethebrain
242 posts
Nomad

@Ricador: bwahahaha, lemurs, that's a good one. Although NASA has had to scrub shuttle launches because birds were building nests in the fuel tanks. How goofy is that?

@Strongbow: You're right, I think a cooperative effort would be much better for everyone than a competitive one. If country would just put aside their national ego, we could be doing so much better, not just in space but in most if not all human endeavors.

Strongbow
Strongbow
324 posts
Nomad

Exactly. However, I think youve hit the nail on the head. Coordinating such endeavours seems to be more "rocket science" than rocket science!

Showing 16-22 of 22