Forums

ForumsWorld Events, Politics, Religion, Etc.

Plagiarism and Reliable Sources

Posted Apr 19, '11 at 3:42am

Freakenstein

Freakenstein

9,516 posts

but there are ways to go around plagiarism. Just read the information and put it into your own words, it's that easy! It might take longer but you'll still get a good grade (in school) and you wont get sued (adults!)

Good example of deliberate plagiarism, Plumpkins!

Intentional plagiarism carries a much stricter and swifter penalty than accidental. Taking out a section of someone's work, paraphrasing into your own words, and "forgetting" to add the parenthetical notes is actually much easier to find than you realize. Any person can peruse through the essay/thesis/what-have-you and realize "hey, this guy seems to know a lot about [insert subject here] without any assistance!" And it also takes a lot less to figure out that said plagiarist does not have a works-cited page stapled to the back of the "work".

Deliberate plagiarism, by courts, can be given stricter penalties, as they can figure out that you took steps to remove any "original work" from your work. It's simply easier to not be lazy, no offense.

Posted May 23, '11 at 2:52pm

xXKashitoXx

xXKashitoXx

832 posts

No matter what happens, plagiarism is wrong. Taking someone else's credit and claiming for one's own will treat that person unfair. If i do have to use someone else's work, I will give them credit in the Works Cited Page, footnotes, or citations.

Posted May 23, '11 at 2:56pm

Paarfam

Paarfam

1,605 posts

Thank you, xXKa****oXx, for pointing out the obvious. Just kidding, I know you're new.

I will give them credit in the Works Cited Page, footnotes, or citations.
Easy-Bib = Thank you God for helping me not plagiarize. Try it out, it helps a lot.

Posted Jul 30, '11 at 11:19am

Sssssnnaakke

Sssssnnaakke

1,064 posts

plagiarism is wrong.

If you claim it as your own but if I want to say something I heard I'm not going to say blah blah said on page blah blah blah. Plagiarism is also takin too far A LOT

Posted Jul 30, '11 at 11:37am

crazyape

crazyape

1,800 posts

Stealing from one man is plagairism, but stealing from many is science.

Posted Aug 21, '11 at 6:30pm

mdv96

mdv96

1,021 posts

Is it just me, or can you not get to any of the links? To me they are all broken. :/

Posted Aug 22, '11 at 11:18pm

GhostOfMatrix

GhostOfMatrix

15,425 posts

Knight

You have to take the extra http:// and quotation marks out of the links for them to work.

Posted Sep 12, '11 at 6:58am

Llamasushi

Llamasushi

104 posts

I think we can safely say that if it's for a grade 10 history assignment due the next morning (and you haven't started, rather you are on armour games replying to threads), then you can plagiarize one or two sentences. There is almost a ZERO percent chance of your history teacher being the original author of the work.
Here's a quote that I wrote. (See what I did there? Plagiarism :P)

"Plagiarism saves time. If in doubt, plagiarize"

That's thing, I think that most people have plagiarised at least once in our life. Examples are: stealing lame jokes from other people in social situations and pretending they're your own so others will admire you, putting plagiarized quotes in your essays for good marks, etc. As long as they're not very widely known, you could distribute it as your original idea and get away with it easily. Actually, my own view is that a little plagiarism is not harmful. There are worse things then plagiarising, as the only real effect that plagiarising has is annoyance that your friend got a better grade then you, or disappointment that your star student copied your someone else's work. After all-- Plagiarism: it's YOUR CHOICE. Risk for reward?

Posted Sep 12, '11 at 7:01am

Llamasushi

Llamasushi

104 posts

Sorry for the double post, I should have stated that I read the quote from a book somewhere, so I'm not really sure where it came from. But that's the thing, it's so hard NOT to plagiarize as most of ideas come from others anyway, which could be considered a very minor form of plagiarizing (stealing other's ideas).

Posted Oct 11, '11 at 9:56am

athinianhoplite

athinianhoplite

29 posts

... I think ... I think ... Everybody can think everybody can believe in ideas ,in lies ,in truths.But who's the one that can judge whats true whats a lie whats an idea exept our mind.
If I'll steal an idea ,if I'll steal a truth ,if I'll steal a lie i've steal under my knowlenge no one else is responsible that me.
e.g Right i'm stelling the words of Karl Marx.

Reply to Plagiarism and Reliable Sources

You must be logged in to post a reply!