ForumsNews and Feedback3 day limit

11 3967
5hadowles5
5hadowles5
93 posts
Nomad

i have an idea what if there was an old topic that is dead if it fulfills 3 days without anybody replying to it it is deleted whaddya think?

• 11 Replies
gaboloth
gaboloth
1,613 posts
Peasant

I don't know topics like free rider maps' one shouldn't be deleted and in some cases like programming help it's useful to keep all topics but the idea is good.

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,622 posts
Herald

I think they should lock topics that are about a month or older. I don't agree with deleting them. Just lock them.
If the person would like to continue a discussion on a thread you could just ask a moderator to unlock it if you have a good reason to continue the discussion.

Ghgt99
Ghgt99
1,894 posts
Nomad

I think that idea isn't that bad because people could spam topics from like March just to get points.

cmb2kool
cmb2kool
378 posts
Nomad

it's a good idea to a certain extant. There is alot of forums that don't get alot of activity but still has alot of uses

payne2008
payne2008
12 posts
Nomad

GhostOfMatrix - I think they should lock topics that are about a month or older. I don't agree with deleting them. Just lock them.
If the person would like to continue a discussion on a thread you could just ask a moderator to unlock it if you have a good reason to continue the discussion.
Like every other thread I go into Ghost always says what I am going to say. But i totally agree with Ghost on this one
Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,507 posts
Jester

The only reason why we get these frequent necro'd threads is because of the glitch in the forums where it sometimes brings an old thread into the "most recent thread" area. People don't read that it's old and they post in it unbeknownst to them. If this silly glitch is nonexistent in AG3, then most if not all the necroing problems will as well.

In my opinion, there is no reason to lock threads just for being old, because they can always be brought back with good intentions. Why watch the 2010 version of Cinderella when there is a good 1990 version right there on the bookshelf that shows the same movie? It's nothing different or extra special, is it?

Matrix159
Matrix159
337 posts
Nomad

I agree with Frank. A lot of the time the threads will glitch when it will say like 3 months ago or something like that.

Reton8
Reton8
3,173 posts
King

Yeah, some threads can be legitimately revived (although rare). Some threads in the art forum are allowed to be revived for reasons in keeping all your art in one place instead of having a ton of threads.

It also helps to keep a thread that is dead around for archiving reasons. It's good to have an archive of old threads because old threads have information in them. Information like the answers to questions. So with a quick google search of the old threads one might find the answer to their question instead of making a duplicate thread.

So keeping the old threads also cuts down on duplicate threads.

Also if the threads were deleted after 3 days no one would have any forum posts. Your forums are linked to the active threads. So when a thread is deleted the number of posts you had in that thread is subtracted from your total post count.

Joe96
Joe96
2,233 posts
Peasant

Deleting threads could get ugly, and I suggested an auto-lock thing befor but I think it would be better if threads weren't auto-deleted.

knight_34
knight_34
13,822 posts
Farmer

Fixed. C/P'd entire block of text to allow deletion of previous post.

I see auto-deletion of threads after three days of inactivity to go against the point of having forums, somewhat. Locking them isn't good either.

- There is such a thing as acceptable revival as noted above. I've revived threads acceptably in the past.

- Even if you can get mods to unlock a thread, why bother with the whole process? It would be more convenient to have mods lock the necro'd threads which are problematic, instead of having them sift through all the locked threads people want unlocked.

- For some reason, people exaggerate the forum spam problems we face on AG. Go to Newgrounds or Kongregate.

- No other site has such a system.

cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

Yeah, I agree with Joe96. Auto-lock would be better than auto-delete, otherwise we'll be answering the same questions over and over and over... bleh. I have better things to do. )

Showing 1-11 of 11