The Armor Games website will be down for maintenance on Monday 10/7/2024
starting at 10:00 AM Pacific time. We apologize for the inconvenience.

ForumsProgramming ForumDecent alternative to flash?

11 5557
Theheyjude
Theheyjude
114 posts
Nomad

since im only 15 don't have a job and there is no way my parents would buy me flash, i am trying to find a decent alternative for it, what my dream for this would be i make a game using some free program, use mochi ads or something to make money and buy the student addition of flash with that money and then start posting on AG.

thoughts and advice? my real question is what the alternative for flash would be.

• 11 Replies
Theheyjude
Theheyjude
114 posts
Nomad

oh i forgot to add that i already used up my flash trial so that is out of the picture

gaboloth
gaboloth
1,612 posts
Peasant

Well an option is to be only the coder and collaborate with another guy that have flash. If you like this solution you can download flashdevelop, a very good code editor (lots of people say it's even better than flash's code editor) and email your work to your buddy.
If you want to make a game on your own, actually the answer is the same, flashdevelop. I haven't looked at FD very in depth, but I'm fairly sure that you can also embed graphics and stuff there. The only thing is that you'll need adobe flex SDK to turn your FD project in an actual FD file.

gaboloth
gaboloth
1,612 posts
Peasant

Aargh typo I wanted to say SWF file in the last sentence, not FD file.

Theheyjude
Theheyjude
114 posts
Nomad

I'll have to work on my own probably since I'm still a newb. But my question is that if I turn it into a swf file can I upload it here? Or what should I do with it!

gaboloth
gaboloth
1,612 posts
Peasant

Yes yes flash games sites accept SWF files.
I forgot to say, adobe flex SDK is free too.

Darkroot
Darkroot
2,763 posts
Peasant

Post it on Kongregate and see what people say about it and what scores you get. Rise and repeat till you get at least a 3/5 then find someone to sponsor you then rise and repeat till you get enough money to buy flash. Lastly make games till you get at least a 3.5-4/5 then try to post on AG.

Theheyjude
Theheyjude
114 posts
Nomad

Sounds like a plan, thanks guys

gaboloth
gaboloth
1,612 posts
Peasant

Newgrounds is also good.

Theheyjude
Theheyjude
114 posts
Nomad

One last question could someone give me a quick run down of how sponsoring works?

gaboloth
gaboloth
1,612 posts
Peasant

A site thinks your game is awesome, it gives you some money to support the development, you put your game in the site and their logo at the beginning of the game.

gaboloth
gaboloth
1,612 posts
Peasant

You can also obtain a sponsorization if you win a contest, like on kongregate (I keep double posting. Sorry.)

Showing 1-11 of 11