ForumsGamesWASD vs Arrow Keys

537 164602
silvermoon123
silvermoon123
855 posts
Nomad

Do you use WASD or the arrow keys? Why is WASD even an option? Why are arrow keys so superior? Questions like these and more can be posted here, as well as lots of answers! Give your opinion on these basic movement controls below!

• 537 Replies
Thowra
Thowra
31 posts
Nomad

I prefer arrow keys, as I'm right handed.

The stupidest/most poorly configured game I've ever played involved using the arrow keys to move, and the mouse button to shoot.

killersup10
killersup10
2,739 posts
Blacksmith

I'M A LOVER OF WASD

Lifemaster
Lifemaster
186 posts
Shepherd

Skipped reading all 19 pages to post this:

WASD ftw.

Several reasons:
#1 separate enough from mouse that it is comfortable to use left hand on movement and right hand on mouse.
#2 surrounded by 12345 and other keys which are in many games programmable.
#3 I might be bullsh!tting, but this could be a valid point: I'm sure you've all heard that us human beings have two sides of our brain that vary in terms of what each side is better at (such as one side being more creative than the other which is more math/science oriented etc.), however, I'm relatively certain that the side of the brain used to control one's left hand (WASD) is more natural to the idea of movement than that of the right hand (arrow keys). Hence: WASD is far and away the superior movement keys for anyone who is in the same disposition as myself (right handed).

Also. Arrow keys just suck. Need I argue the point?

sugarbean
sugarbean
81 posts
Nomad

arroww keys!

johnnyboy3636
johnnyboy3636
42 posts
Nomad

arrow keys because i grown into them

Sengokura
Sengokura
497 posts
Herald

I use both my left and right hand to play games. I perfer to use the WASD keys when i need to use the mouse or hotkeys like 1,2,3,4. Using the arrow keys with the mouse is very awkward for me cause i have no skill with the mouse with my left hand. I use the arrow keys when i need to press the keyboard to play lik Z,X or C and or A,S,D

GaminaFTW
GaminaFTW
2 posts
Nomad

Arrow keys is easier than ASDW

NickodemisBoslatine
NickodemisBoslatine
36 posts
Farmer

Im right handed so I deeply prefer the arrow keys plus its logic for ease of use such as jump, duck move left or right

Lifemaster
Lifemaster
186 posts
Shepherd

ASDW, with A being left S being back D being right and W being forward. Space bar can be jump. I'm right handed...and it leaves your right hand open to control the mouse...FAR more important than playing a game with just a keyboard (for games where mouse can be used.)

Kulmegil_
Kulmegil_
35 posts
Herald

WUT? Why people say to use WASD because they use mouse on right hand?
It's not like I'm working on 0,5m2 desk! I can just push keyboard away and comfortable use keys with left hand.

Arrows
+ number of easily accessible and memorable keys:
numpads keys + 6 above (insert..pageDown) + ~4 on the right

+ favors "no mouse" games

- puuush keyboard left when playing, right when work

- less keys in fingers reach

WASD
+ probably a bit more keys in fingers reach

+ small desk friendly - no pushing reuired

- I'm having a hard time memorizing positions of keys a bit further away (like higher number keys). Sometimes hitting wrong key or hand taking longer then expected to return to WASD.

imho it's totally a matter of personal preference and one should use layout he feels comfortable with!
But I think arrows favor games with "more" keys: where direct keys to weapons/items/skills/ect can be specified or for players when using macross (it's like cheating right?

ablr
ablr
133 posts
Nomad

If it uses the mouse I use WASD, but otherwise I use the arrow keys.

Jake297
Jake297
306 posts
Shepherd

I am right-handed. When on a laptop, I use the wasd. When using a mouse, I use the arrow keys.

monkadroid
monkadroid
3 posts
Nomad

i say arrow keys but like thebluerabbit said just let us pick

Zydrate
Zydrate
383 posts
Farmer

WASD gives your hand more access to other keys in a shorter range.

I didn't like it when I was younger because it was DIFFERENT. But WASD is superior.

Alohalo22
Alohalo22
13 posts
Peasant

I'm both handed so I don't mind which one I'm using but I use the WASD when you need to use the mouse on keys on the right side of the keyboard.

I use the arrow keys when you need to use the spacebar or other keys on the left hand side of the keyboard.

Showing 181-195 of 537