The Armor Games website will be down for maintenance on Monday 10/7/2024
starting at 10:00 AM Pacific time. We apologize for the inconvenience.

ForumsProgramming Forumwhy does my guy walk under the ground in my flash game?

11 6498
mikecranbo
mikecranbo
45 posts
Nomad

so i am making a platform game and my guy just walk in the middle of it i want him to walk on it how do i do this?

• 11 Replies
beech
beech
107 posts
Nomad

there are a few other thread recently posted here regarding *collision detection* - basically this is what you need, you need to test points of the character and determine if it is hitting something, then respond to that - eg. make the player stop 'falling' through the ground and set it to that point

took95
took95
438 posts
Nomad

you probably either set the grounds registration point in the middle, or your character's image is actually lower than its registartion point, thus you end up walking on your knees:P

Bearsal1121
Bearsal1121
290 posts
Nomad

You just need to make the ground solid.

markzi
markzi
103 posts
Nomad

You need to put the Character's registration point low.

Dannydaninja
Dannydaninja
948 posts
Nomad

Mike, you'll have to give us more detail if you want us to help you. But it seems to be a deal with the collision... send us an image.

markzi
markzi
103 posts
Nomad

I think it's all about the registration point. I make that mistake a lot. And the title said "Walk under the ground". Plus the default registration point is in the middle, mike probably forgot to set it to low. Happens to everyone! Good luck.

ExplosionsHurt
ExplosionsHurt
248 posts
Nomad

@Bearsal1121,

that's in Game Maker. Adobe Flash is different.

Secretmapper
Secretmapper
1,747 posts
Nomad

Most probable reason: Wrong Registration Point.

master565
master565
4,104 posts
Nomad

Most probable reason: Wrong Registration Point

It could also be his guy is falling to fast.
markzi
markzi
103 posts
Nomad

Either Registration point OR maybe you have your gravity too high, sometimes, if the gravity is too high, and you jump and the platform/ground isn't thick enough, your character falls through it because of the speed of the fall.

arobegamr
arobegamr
130 posts
Nomad

It is important to remember, there are many different methods to create platform-based games, so you may want to be more specific in future posts.

I highly recommend Tonypa's Tile-based tutorial:
[url=http://www.tonypa.pri.ee/tbw/start.html]

This tutorial will take you through several types of tile-based games, including platformers.

Showing 1-11 of 11