The Armor Games website will be down for maintenance on Monday 10/7/2024
starting at 10:00 AM Pacific time. We apologize for the inconvenience.

ForumsProgramming ForumIs as3 a practical language?

2 4864
master565
master565
4,104 posts
Nomad

Im learning programing and i heard as3 is good for beginners because it has an easy GUI to deal with but is it a good language? from what im able to do it appears as3 is only really good for developing games which requires more than just programming. Is as3 really any good for making anything but games and possibly movie playback controls?

• 2 Replies
beech
beech
107 posts
Nomad

AS3 is a OOP (Object Oriented Programming) language, this means that most constructs are base around the use of Objects which store properties and methods - there are many OOP languages out there, for instance, JavaScript is an OOP language.

AS3 and Flash in general are good for many things besides making games, many people develop desktop applications using Flash, AS3 and Adobe Air - many forms, tools, mobile apps are, or can be, built with Flash - almost every ad banner you see today is made with Flash.

yes, you can certainly make a video player and program it's controls quite well with Flash, mp3 players, podcast, streaming video - all possible with Flash. but i wouldn't say that it's simple the GUI that is the reason for it being a good beginner language, there are several free applications out there that allow you to program with AS in a variety of GUI environments - but there are certain aspects that allow you to see the results of your programming immediately, without the need of a server, plus the Flash application has a pretty good set of drawing and animation tools where you can work directly with the assets while programming. additionally, to a certain degree AS is not as strict as many languages out there, nor as verbose - so i do think that it is a pretty good starter language.

master565
master565
4,104 posts
Nomad

Thank you, i have been having trouble with it (mostly because i don't know what to make) but when i tried to create the 8 queens problems, i had alot of difficulty but this may be due to that im an amateur programer.

If you have any suggestions as to what i should try to program, please tell me.

(the reason i thought it wasn't really used for anything else was because i hadn't seen anything else built with it so thanks)

Showing 1-2 of 2