ForumsNews and FeedbackIdeas and Discussions about: Changing Usernames in AG3

301 81799
scardragon99
scardragon99
570 posts
Nomad

Hi i have heard a rumor about that you can change your username in ag3. Is this true? And also if it is true won't people steal your username or is that impossible.

• 301 Replies
jroyster22
jroyster22
756 posts
Peasant

The rumor you heard is correct, however, this feature wont be available for a little while. Most likely after the launch of AG3

scardragon99
scardragon99
570 posts
Nomad

Ok thanks but will people use the same, or similar username. Just to annoy you.

cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

No, the way we're planning it is that you'll need to have been an active member for a period of time. Then, you'll choose a new username, and if it's available, everyone will see your old username on your profile for the next month. During that month, no other user can pick your old username. Once the month is up, another user can try to use that name instead, but other users will still *their* old name for the next month, etc.

Ghgt99
Ghgt99
1,894 posts
Nomad

Will you have to have a certain number of karma points to do it? Because then if people would want to change their username they would have to be good citizens of AG. =)

scardragon99
scardragon99
570 posts
Nomad

ok cormyn thanks.

cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

Ghgt99, yes, we'll likely have some strict requirements for it.

Cpt0bviousV2
Cpt0bviousV2
19 posts
Nomad

hey me and my friend are trying to start a clan but we cant figure out how to change our names and don't wanna make a new account can someone please tell me how to??

darkrai097
darkrai097
862 posts
Nomad

@CptObvious: You should really read the entire topic before posting.
I would rather have a system so that after you change your name, people can't take your old one unless you allow it. Like a checkbox that says "Allow users to use your old username".

cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

darkrai097, we've already said several times that your old name will be reserved for at least 30 days if you change it.

Cpt0bviousV2, you can't change your name on AG2, and the feature isn't built in AG3 yet.

darkrai097
darkrai097
862 posts
Nomad

No, I meant that if you don't want people to use your old one at all, ever, you could check a box saying you don't want people to be able to use it, in case you want to change it back.

sasquatchcarrot
sasquatchcarrot
189 posts
Nomad

yes, if i just checked out a username and then wanted another username, that means my original username would be taken if someone happened to want to take it. i would like to change it back... im very picky about this kind of stuff, a username can mean alot more than just a bunch of letters... it can be a nickname, i don't want someone using MIIINE!!!!!!!!!!!!! also a username can have alot of history in it. I don't want some stranger stealing my username then NEVER giving it back, there should be a checkbox, what darkrai mentioned.

cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

I meant that if you don't want people to use your old one at all, ever, you could check a box saying you don't want people to be able to use it, in case you want to change it back.

Nope, if you change it, you're giving it up, that's how it's going to work. We don't plan on "reserving" your old usernames once you decide you want a new one.

If you want to change your name back, you (a) have to wait 30 days, and (b) hope nobody takes your old name after the 30-day period and before you log back in to change it back.

At best, we'll give you that 30-day period to decide you like your old name better than your new one, since nobody else can pick your username during that 30-day period anyway. But we might restrict how many times you can change your username, just to avoid confusion.
Ghgt99
Ghgt99
1,894 posts
Nomad

Ghgt99, yes, we'll likely have some strict requirements for it.

Ok, just making sure. =)
master565
master565
4,107 posts
Nomad

I feel like someone is going to impersonate someone else by using their old name.

Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,508 posts
Jester

It shouldn't be that much of a problem, Master. As was stated before, you will get to see which username the account was beforehand for X amount of time. Even if they did start impersonating the user after the names are all situated...it's their name now, right? I don't think something will happen where a former username user will be affected when the impersonator gets banned, like last time. And when I mean last time, I mean with using underscores. That was chaotic, yet lulzy. It was almost...poetic. The name issues, I bet you, won't be a problem though--the admins have the names stored! I bet you!

Showing 1-15 of 301