The Armor Games website will be down for maintenance on Monday 10/7/2024
starting at 10:00 AM Pacific time. We apologize for the inconvenience.

ForumsProgramming ForumHow long 'til I can do...?

12 5903
ranimsimanim
ranimsimanim
5 posts
Nomad

So I want to make a flash adventure-quest game like Coma, Machinarium, Samorost and the likes.
I already know quite a bit of flash and am pretty fluent at it (meaning, I know what most tools do and how to use them).
I have a little programming experience with python and javascript and I know the logic of programming (data types, variables and values, computer logic, if else).

I don't know actionscript 3, but am just starting to learn.

Theoretically, how long will it take me until I can start making a game?

• 12 Replies
Secretmapper
Secretmapper
1,747 posts
Nomad

with the programming experience you have, I'll say a good 2-4 months. Coding is easy, making artwork is the hard part, and takes up most of your time (You'll spend about 70% creating the artwork)

ranimsimanim
ranimsimanim
5 posts
Nomad

Thank you, Secretmapper.

Darkroot
Darkroot
2,763 posts
Peasant

Depends if you have a good as3 book and you invest time into it, you could learn everything you need within a month. But something like Machinarium might bit big for a first game.

jakeup
jakeup
138 posts
Nomad

Good luck with the game. Id love to test a demo.

ranimsimanim
ranimsimanim
5 posts
Nomad

@Darkroot
I always love a challenge
do you happen to have a recommendation for such a book?
and do you have practice routines and tips for good learning and for good coding?

@jakup
Thanks

Ghgt99
Ghgt99
1,890 posts
Nomad

do you happen to have a recommendation for such a book

I use this book.

It is a bit expensive, but if you buy it used, it is cheaper.
Darkroot
Darkroot
2,763 posts
Peasant

I always love a challenge

Ok just make sure that, that challenge doesn't turn you off flash.

do you happen to have a recommendation for such a book?

Well I would go with Learning ActionScript 3.0: A Beginner's Guide or Ghgt99 book which is a smaller volume. The Beginner's guide is more comprehensive but some chapters aren't that useful for game making but it does have very good examples and explanations.

Essential ActionScript 3.0 (Essential) for just general knowledge of everything there is to as3.

ActionScript 3.0 Game Programming University (2nd Edition) For a book on game making, I own the first version of this book.

and do you have practice routines and tips for good learning and for good coding?

The books usually teach you properly formatting but good coding is something you will have to learn yourself.
TheDoctor7
TheDoctor7
61 posts
Peasant

The hardest part of making a game is the graphics. The actual coding is easy.

arkaninerenegade
arkaninerenegade
785 posts
Nomad

OVER 9000!!!!

thats how long.

master565
master565
4,104 posts
Nomad

The actual coding is easy.

like hell it is
Darkroot
Darkroot
2,763 posts
Peasant

The hardest part of making a game is the graphics. The actual coding is easy.

Very untrue. If you have an simple point and click game with tons of backgrounds,characters and items then yes. But for something more dynamic and complicated then it's much harder to code for it.

OVER 9000!!!!

thats how long.

Thanks for the useless spam, my day is complete.
MadMurphy
MadMurphy
7 posts
Nomad

If your going to start making games I suggest before even starting in flash. Write down your ideas on paper and make clear objects on what you plan to do in the flash game. Create a couple storyboards with what you feel certain screens should look like and how the navigation between the screens will work.

Having a clear idea of what you need to do in creating a flash game really speeds up the development time and helps keep you on track of your goal of releasing the game.

I would suggest for a first game to create a simple one that takes about a week just to get an idea of how the whole process works from start to finish.

Showing 1-12 of 12