ForumsPopular Media"C.R.B.W.C." : the Classic Rock Bands World Cup!

797 345272
MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,746 posts
King

A lot of people have been asking me when the new edition of the 'CRBWC' would finally start (and I'm sorry it took me so long...), but I wanted to make the second edition even better and more fun than the first one!
(In case you wonder what the first one looked like: this is the 'CRBWC 2010'.)

After hours of fun (and stress!) in figuring out the new CRBWC schematics, the gathering of info on the participating bands and fabricating the additional pictures to it all, I'm proud of the final outcome and so, without further delay, let's kick off the 2011 edition of the

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5294/5529788999_de0e158858.jpg

Now, some changes have been made to the second edition of this competition, so reading the rules and guidelines is something everyone needs to do, even the voters from last year's edition are advised to...

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5097/5530376806_b698294b37.jpg

The format of this World Cup for Classical Rock Bands is based upon the organisation schematics of the Soccer World Cup. It has the same rules as the Soccer World Cup in terms of competitors proceeding through it, but it will follow a few rules of its own too.
Below is a short guide to elaborate the >binding rules< for this competition:

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5220/5529789379_02f0090bc2_m.jpg

-The 'CRBWC' consist of a total of 24 rounds being presented one at a time.
-Each round will be open for voting for a maximum of 2 weeks or untill a band reaches the points limit.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5178/5529789643_2c342038b7.jpg

-Each user of ArmorGames who wants to give a vote has the possibility to vote only once per round.
-All votes given by users are obligated to consist of an elaborated reasoning as to 'why' you choose these two bands. Votes lacking a proper elaborated reasoning, for example: "I like them" or "They rule", will not be counted. Elaborate on why you like them and talk about them, that's the main goal of this competition!
-Different to last year's edition, this time each vote in the group stage of this competition will consist of naming a "First choice" with with a value of 3 points and a "Second choice" with a value of 1 point.
-You only get to vote for two bands in a group. NO double voting for a single band and/or NO voting for more than two bands per group. No exceptions will be made in this matter.
-If two bands reach the limit of 30 points at the same time, the band with the most "First choices" will be declared as the winner of that round.
-The rule explained above, also applies if two bands reach a similar point count for second place at the same time in the 'Group Stage'.
-If, for any reason, two bands reach the limit of 30 points simultaniously and both have an equal amount of first and second choices, the band getting it's 'winning vote' first will be declared the winner.
-Further rounds after the group stage will have a 1 point count for each vote given and an according 10 points limit. Rules for declaring a winner will be applied according to the group stage rules.
-No discussions about the ruling on the outcome of a round are allowed.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5133/5529789699_ba98e181f8.jpg

# THE GROUP STAGE:
-This stage will behold 8 different groups (A to H) consisting of 7 Classical Rock Bands to choose from.
-After closure, both the 'group winner' and the 'runner up' band will proceed to the knockout stage.
-All other remaining bands are eliminated from the competition.

THE KNOCKOUT STAGE:
-After completing the Group stage, the 'group winner' of the first group will be up against the 'runner up' of the second group. The 'group winner' of the second group will be up against the 'runner up' of the first group. This schedule will be followed for the rest of the groups, to clarify:
#1 Group A vs. #2 Group B (Winning band is called 'Winner I'
#1 Group B vs. #2 Group A (Winning band is called 'Winner II'
#1 Group C vs. #2 Group D (Winning band is called 'Winner III'
#1 Group D vs. #2 Group C (Winning band is called 'Winner IV'
#1 Group E vs. #2 Group F (Winning band is called 'Winner V'
#1 Group F vs. #2 Group E (Winning band is called 'Winner VI'
#1 Group G vs. #2 Group H (Winning band is called 'Winner VII'
#1 Group H vs. #2 Group G (Winning band is called 'Winner VIII'

THE 1/4 FINALS:
-The next stage, the 1/4 finals, will be held in this order:
# Winner I vs. Winner V
# Winner II vs. Winner VI
# Winner III vs. Winner VII
# Winner IV vs. Winner VIII

THE SEMI FINALS:
-The semi finals will be held in the order of:
# Winner I/V vs. Winner II/VI
# Winner III/VII vs. Winner IV/VIII

THE 'SHADOW FINAL':
-A number three and four is decided in a match between both 'losing' bands from the semi finals.
-Ranking of third and fourth place in this Final is decided upon the band that reaches the 10 points limit first.

THE FINAL MATCH:
-The Final match is held between both winning bands from the semi finals.
-When one of the bands in the Final reaches the limit of 10 points first, that band is declared the winner of the competition and is crowned The 'CRBWC' Champion 2011.
-The remaining band is ranked #2 in this competition.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5213/5530377280_41f3830f0c.jpg

-There will be NO playoffs held in this competition.
-You don't get to complain when 'your band' is eliminated from the competition. "Take the pain..."
-Swearing and obscene language is not tolerated. Always respect the opinion(s) of the other users participating in this thread, even if you disagree with their reasoning.
-If any situation should occur that is not explained and/or guided by the thread's rules, the 'Armor Games Community Forum Rules and Regulations' and the 'Popular Media Rules ("Read these rules or else...&quot' apply and are to be followed for this 'Classic Rock Bands World Cup'. They will be referred to when needed.
You can find them here:
Armor Games Community Forum Rules and Regulations
Popular Media Rules ("Read these rules, or else...&quot

Since this year's 'CRBWC' competition has a little more stuff to work with, I will start off as the sole Moderator for it, but there might be other moderators assigned over time if/when I see fit. Don't ask me for an assignment, since I will only assign people I know to have the same devotion to this competition and they will be revealed when the time comes, ok?

And last, but certainly not least... take heed:
!!! OFFICIAL AG ADMINISTRATORS AND MODERATORS WILL ALWAYS HAVE A BINDING WORD !!!
So, whenever an AG administrator or moderator visits this thread and decides to alter/delete a user's post or take action on an item or discussion, listen and obide to them as you would throughout the rest of the ArmorGames website.

I hope the AG users will like and participate in this 'Classic Rock Bands World Cup'!
So my main advice to all participants is to simply... ENJOY!!!

Now... enough with the talk... shove everything aside and...

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5019/5530376744_2f3a765af7_m.jpg

• 797 Replies
valboss84
valboss84
1,529 posts
Farmer

I vote ZZ top for:
- great rock and roll groove
- "La Grange" one of my favorite song
- their beards!!

And because I don't like Van Halen a lot...

daleks
daleks
3,770 posts
Chamberlain

@Mav I feel ya.

I guess I will go with Van Halen. While I agree that ZZ Top is more original I don't really like their sound. Van Halen I wouldn't say I love, they are just better. So Van Halen because I like there tone more.

*Side Note: I will be honest. I don't really like either that much.

dudeguy45
dudeguy45
2,920 posts
Peasant

Van Halen s ok, but ZZ Top has good song, bluesy and a nice look.

MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,746 posts
King

Oh my... oh my... suddenly, people who voted for Van Halen have abandoned them and switch sides to ZZ Top?! Never saw that one coming... (o.O)

I -for one- will stick to being true to my choice and vote for Van Halen once more! You cannot forget the DLR era of Van Halen, it's a massive historical footprint on the genre of Rock music! And I have to debunk the 'Van Hagar' hating going on here... Sammy is what Van Halen needed at the time: a fresh new start with an energetic boost coming from that awesome screamer's mouth! To all the people who made the mistake of leaving Van Halen behind to 'Roth'... they will prevail! Van Hail! =D

Score count so far shows us :

Score count for 1/2 Final # 2 :

2 - VAN HALEN
6 - ZZ TOP

So the bearded men have taken the lead over Van Halen in this 2nd 1/2 Final of the CRBWC! Who would have thought ZZ Top would make it this far into the competition when they were eliminated early on into the previous edition!?! Times they are a changing I guess... =0

Let's see if Van Halen makes it back alongside of ZZ Top or whether it's a too large a gap to close!

Keep them votes coming people!! =D

FALLEN950
FALLEN950
162 posts
Nomad

I'm disappointed in all of you.

My vote goes to Van Halen.

Although I love ZZ Top as well, Van Halen is close to the top of my list with Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd.

The two bands are extremely hard to compare because both were great bands of their time, but played totally different music.

But of course, me being a metalhead, I enjoy more of the "early metal" sound of Van Halen over the blues/country sound of ZZ Top, as I for one, despise country with a flaming passion.

In case you all didn't know, but DayCee does, Eddie is at the top of my list for guitarists. Not only is Eruption one of the best guitar solos ever, but Eddie is just much greater than any other guitarist on the planet, in my opinion.

Also, Van Halen progressed and evolved so much with society's needs, with finding a new lead singer.

Van Halen gets my vote.

P.S. Sorry I had to cut that last part short I'm getting busy.

Ernie15
Ernie15
13,349 posts
Bard

This is the toughest battle I've ever had to vote in.

I consider Van Halen to be the greatest "hair metal" band of all-time. When it comes to hair metal vs. not hair metal, since it is one of my favorite musical genres, I'm almost always going to go with hair metal.

ZZ Top, on the other hand, has an unmistakable sound, and their catchy tunes can easily be distinguished from one another within the first few seconds of the song. Especially in the 80's, when they used more effects to enhance their sound.

Very tough call, but Van Halen wins by a hair, and not a long one that could be found in any of the group members' hair (or in ZZ Top's beards).

ZZ Top has some great guitar solos, but Van Halen's are short and sweet and don't last for half the song. Both groups have very distinct sounds, but I happen to prefer Van Halen's by a very slim margin. Their sound has a perfect hardness to it; not too soft nor too overwhelming for hair metal. I love ZZ Top's bluesy-80's-rock sound as well, but for me Van Halen's perfect hair metal sound is preferable.

As I said in my previous comment that helped Van Halen defeat the Eagles, "When it comes to hair metal vs. not hair metal...I'm almost always going to go with hair metal."
Q_File
Q_File
108 posts
Nomad

Hard to bang your head to ZZ Top, though they do have some great stuff.
I prefer Van Halen.

Skeleton_Pilot
Skeleton_Pilot
1,361 posts
Blacksmith

Sorry ZZ Top, I love your beards (Frank included) and your dance-to-able style, but Van Halen is the all-around better band in this battle! The melodies in their songs are more interesting to me and the music style is definitely more complex!

But that doesn't change the fact that I love both bands!

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

Well both bands are great.. but I think I will still keep voting for ZZ Top as Van Halen, though having nice melodies and having been an influence for some great music etc., simply use a bit too much synths at times and not all songs are so interesting.
ZZ Top is just classy, rocky, and gets my vote. They're not as big a caliber as Led Zeppelin for example, but I mean c'mon.. who would think that some guys with beards and plush decorated guitars could play such cool rhythms
Therefore Legs!!!

goumas13
goumas13
4,752 posts
Grand Duke

I have to vote for ZZ Top. Frank Beard's drumming is truly excellent, but the guitar-playing is simply particularly tasteful. Billy Gibbon's solos are amazing! Moreover, I really like Southern Rock, hence their music is more to my liking.

Plus, Sharp Dressed Man!

MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,746 posts
King

@ FALLEN950 : I second your motion and move to dismiss the others! LOL

@ Q_File : As much as I'd like to... I can't count your vote as your reasoning is thinner than paper. Elaborate a little more and I'll count it in the total score count, ok? Thanx!

@ HahiHa : I can't help but feel like you actually made a smart strategic vote here. *chinrubs* I don't know... feels like it though! Heheheh...

@ goumas13 : Te quoque Brutes?! (o.O) *raises eyebrow and crumbles to the floor*

Ouch... Van Halen seems to have a tough time against ZZ Top here! Not what I had hoped for, but actually did anticipate as I know the preferences of several regular voting AG users! Again... ouch... (o.O)

Score count so far shows us :

Score count for 1/2 Final # 2 :

5 - VAN HALEN
8 - ZZ TOP

Van Halen was crawling back towards ZZ Top for a moment there, but they couldn't keep up with them as the 'bearded men' pulled away once more!

There's now a 3 vote gap between the two bands. So... will you be the one deciding Van Halen's fate or will you help them come back alongside of and -who knows- maybe even surpass ZZ Top again? You decide! VOTE!!! =D

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

I can't help but feel like you actually made a smart strategic vote here. *chinrubs* I don't know... feels like it though! Heheheh...

Eh? *looks back a few pages* Oh.. you're right.

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTeVmfm0V6u7fP-DDsETDJGIzBXW1X11fGLp5s5rLV3FHBenrOdUw

I would still have voted ZZ Top otherwise, but it's nice to see my subconscious is so smart
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

ZZ Top. I like the Southern Rock tinge in their music. Also, Sharp Dressed Man is just awesome to my ears....

wajor59
wajor59
909 posts
Nomad

@ Hahiha
Funny but that image reminds me of Queen? o_O

ZZTOP

I know what you're thinking... didn't she pick a band she dislikes over ZZTop the last time?? Yes. And didn't she have nothing but good things to say about Van Halen in other contests? Yes.

Not only is it the right of a lady to change her mind but it's a Constitional right of all US citizens!

I've been jamming to ZZTop long before I knew who Eddie Van Halen was and I didn't stop jammin' when I heard DLR sing "Dance The Night Away".

I agree with Nichodemus, "Sharp Dressed Man" is one of my all time favorite songs..

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

Funny but that image reminds me of Queen? o_O

Yeah, that's ol' Freddie. The image is supposed to express a feeling of success. It's a stylish way to say 'YES!'. At least I think; you never know with internet memes...
Showing 706-720 of 797