Forums

ForumsPopular Media

"C.R.B.W.C." : the Classic Rock Bands World Cup!

Thread Locked

Posted Aug 5, '12 at 11:47pm

waluigi

waluigi

1,971 posts

Alright, now that I've successfully missed most rounds, time to suggest bands. How about

Styx- they might stand up against one or two other bands.
Def Leppard- why weren't they in this year's battle!?
Cheap Trick- See Def Leppard description.
The Cars
and for some southern rock, how 'bout 38 Special?

Posted Aug 21, '12 at 11:45am

MrDayCee

MrDayCee

11,663 posts

@ idigit : I'm aiming to get it launched in September, but it all depends on how much free time I have to work on this competition and it's sister thread, the 'MBWC', so... =/
I'm doing the best I can to get it up and running a.s.a.p. though!

@ waluigi : LOL You did miss out on a LOT of battles, yes... but I'll disgard that because of the suggestions you made, ok? =P
Let's see...

- Styx : they are actually on my list to be included! I had the same idea before, but wasn't sure whether to include them in the 2nd edition!

- Def Leppard : Were included this year... and will be next year!

- Cheap Trick : Again... a band on my list for the new edition! Kudoo's! =D

- The Cars : Hmmm... difficult choice... they didn't have THAT many hits and are only well known because of "Drive", so... not sure yet! =/

Thanx for the suggestions though! The more the merrier of course! Keep 'em coming folks! =D

Posted Aug 21, '12 at 4:09pm

Skeleton_Pilot

Skeleton_Pilot

1,315 posts

hey didn't have THAT many hits and are only well known because of "Drive", so... not sure yet! =/

Someone needs to brush up on their classic rock history! I've never even heard of Marillion, Poco, or Rose Tattoo... but I've heard the Cars on the radio frequently for as long as I can remember! They had more hits than plenty of the bands you included last year... I'm actually surprised you left them out!

Posted Aug 22, '12 at 3:33pm

MrDayCee

MrDayCee

11,663 posts

Guess I do have to brush up on my classic rock then... *blushes* ...but in my defence, they don't play that man songs of the Cars here. =P

But I'll look into it, if only to set your mind at ease, ok?

Posted Aug 23, '12 at 2:09pm

waluigi

waluigi

1,971 posts

Someone needs to brush up on their classic rock history! I've never even heard of Marillion, Poco, or Rose Tattoo... but I've heard the Cars on the radio frequently for as long as I can remember! They had more hits than plenty of the bands you included last year... I'm actually surprised you left them out!

Still haven't heard of Marillion or Rose Tattoo, but I've heard of Poco. They are very similar to The Eagles, and, in fact, the Eagles bassist was originally part of Poco.

Posted Aug 25, '12 at 4:20pm

MrDayCee

MrDayCee

11,663 posts

Rose Tattoo is a band that was bigger in their own country, Australia, but never that much abroad... I added them to complete the set of "Big Mouthed Rock Bands" and simply needed one more addition! But I've had some new ideas for bands, so it will include others in the next edition!

And I still can't believe that the two of you (Skeleton_Pilot AND waluigi) never heard a single song by Marillion?! (o.O)

These are their biggest hits...

# Kayleigh

# Incommunicado

# Lavender

And my personal favorite because of it's epic echoing sound!

# Cover My Eyes

You SURELY must know at least one of these?! =)

Posted Aug 25, '12 at 7:46pm

Ernie15

Ernie15

13,423 posts

Knight

And I still can't believe that the two of you (Skeleton_Pilot AND waluigi) never heard a single song by Marillion?! (o.O)

They were big in the UK and reasonably popular in the Netherlands, but they've never really existed in the US. Hence, no Americans here seem to have heard of them; I never had until I clicked on the YouTube videos you posted.

Posted Aug 26, '12 at 8:20pm

MrDayCee

MrDayCee

11,663 posts

Really?! I checked the stats on their chart positions with their biggest 'hits' for the U.S. so to speak and they had 3 nice listings in there! Ok, granted they weren't # 1 hits or even top 10, but they were all somewhere around the 10-30 regions, which suggests that they had enough airplay and record sales back then. "Kayleigh" even made it to # 14 in the 80's! hmmm... strange... =/

Posted Aug 28, '12 at 7:53pm

Ernie15

Ernie15

13,423 posts

Knight

which suggests that they had enough airplay and record sales back then.

Back then, but not necessarily since then.

Remember, this forum consists mainly of people who were not even born when most of this music came out. I'm 30 years old and I have very little memory of most of the music that played on the radio in the 80s. Even then, I had a hard time appreciating most of it since I was just a young kid (7 years old in 1989). Most of the classic rock fans here, myself included, can appreciate memorable classic rock songs because we've heard them years after they were actually popular.

So even if Marillion was a popular group in its time, if they haven't had much airplay in the past 20 years, not many of us are going to necessarily know who they are.

Posted Sep 2, '12 at 5:52pm

calebsi

calebsi

212 posts

I don't care if any of the bands that I have suggested previously are in the competition except for these:
Beach Boys
David Bowie
Bob Dylan
The Velvet Underground
Billy Joel
Styx