The Armor Games website will be down for maintenance on Monday 10/7/2024
starting at 10:00 AM Pacific time. We apologize for the inconvenience.

ForumsThe TavernIf you could burn one thing...

136 22342
Wafflesquad
Wafflesquad
170 posts
Peasant

If you could set fire to ANYTHING, and watch it burn, what would it be?

Mine would be fire. That would be cool.

• 136 Replies
ProfessorOak
ProfessorOak
991 posts
Nomad

/slowly walk away

Anyways, I would burn my wood to light the fireplace.

MRWalker82
MRWalker82
4,005 posts
Shepherd

I would burn them until their bones melted.

It's physically impossible for bones to melt. Just FYI.

As for what I would burn, I watched a fantastic episode of MythBusters in which they applied thermite to large blocks of ice which resulted in a massive explosion. I'm thinking I'm going to have to try that one of these days when I have a suitable area for the demonstration.
exicoasterpath
exicoasterpath
257 posts
Nomad

I would burn a gas stop.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!!!

Dragonblaze052
Dragonblaze052
26,677 posts
Peasant

It's impossible for bone to melt while in contact with a flame. If it was in a vaccuum, bone would melt.

MRWalker82
MRWalker82
4,005 posts
Shepherd

It's impossible for bone to melt while in contact with a flame. If it was in a vaccuum, bone would melt.

I'd like to see some evidence of this if you have it. I've always been intrigued that bones do not 'melt' Melting is merely a change of state from solid to liquid, and to the best of my understanding there is no way to liquify bone.
master565
master565
4,104 posts
Nomad

Melting is merely a change of state from solid to liquid, and to the best of my understanding there is no way to liquify bone.

From what I'v heard, anything will melt at a high enough temperature.
MRWalker82
MRWalker82
4,005 posts
Shepherd

From what I'v heard, anything will melt at a high enough temperature.

Not everything melts. Melting is basically the transition from solid to liquid. Many materials will degrade long before they reach this state, like wood for example. Burning a log in your fireplace will NEVER result in melted wood. The composition of the material will break down before any liquid state can be reached.
Devoidless
Devoidless
3,675 posts
Jester

If I recall right, most all materials will theoretically melt if subjected to enough heat and pressure.
But I'm pullings things out of my hat from yeeeaaars ago....

MRWalker82
MRWalker82
4,005 posts
Shepherd

If I recall right, most all materials will theoretically melt if subjected to enough heat and pressure.
But I'm pullings things out of my hat from yeeeaaars ago....

I think that yes, from a theoretical standpoint, you CAN melt anything. But as you say, you have to have enough pressure to keep the material from degrading to such a point where a liquid state is impossible. Again, I'm going off of rather old information I've learned through the years too so if anyone less lazy than I can find anything which confirms or contradicts this I'd love to read up on it.
exicoasterpath
exicoasterpath
257 posts
Nomad

But it would take a high amount of heat, like a little bit less hot than the outside of the sun. But I think it will take a lot less than that temperature to melt bones.

Nurvana
Nurvana
2,520 posts
Farmer

It'd be a coke bottle full of mentos. I mean, the activity there is already pretty extreme, but add fire and >

sambam
sambam
452 posts
Nomad

I would burn down the Eiffel Tower. Not cause I hate France but because it would be cool.

TheGr8est
TheGr8est
703 posts
Nomad

I would burn down the Eiffel Tower. Not cause I hate France but because it would be cool.

I suggest you do it in the winter cuz its taller then
(some fact I heard somewhere).
pratchu
pratchu
493 posts
Nomad

But I want to set hair on fire!

well, someones thing like that already happened

[url=http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/39403349/ns/travel-news/]
Squidbears
Squidbears
626 posts
Nomad

On the topic of melting wood... wood is made out of cellulose, which usually breaks down instead of melting... there were some scientists that figured out if you heat cellulose up with quick flashes of heat you could probably raise it to its melting point without too much degradation..

This is where i got my information

Showing 61-75 of 136