ForumsNews and FeedbackEditing and threading forum posts on AG3

19 6356
psnz
psnz
130 posts
Peasant

I've looked through the master list of suggestions for AG3 maintained by Cormyn, but I didn't see quite what I'd like to recommend.

Threaded discussions and editing of posts in forums are sort of there, but not in the way I'd like to see them.

Firstly, editing: I think it would be useful if a person could edit a post at any stage, provided that no one has replied to it (see the next bit for the context).

Secondly, threading within forum topics. On AG2, I find it quite difficult to follow the discussion when persons A, B and C have all commented, then person D responds to B, while person E responds to A, etc etc, particularly where people don't bother to use the Quote facility. I think it would be a good idea if you were able to comment either on the original post, or on any of the subsequent comments. So, a comment on another commentator's remarks would then be inserted in the appropriate place in the forum thread and indented slightly.

If you happen upon a particular comment well after the event, and say with a considerable number of pages of discussion, you really have little choice but to read all of the forum posts if you want to follow a particular thread. The idea outlined above allows someone to quickly pick up on all the entries on that thread.

This is the way that comments and discussion operates in another social community I belong to, and I think it works well. You can see which discussion point people are commenting on, instead of it all being munged together in strict chronological order, and it would be really useful to be able to edit your own comments, provided that no one else has replied to them in the meantime.

$0.02

• 19 Replies
cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

Keep in mind that we have not yet decided on a forum engine. When AG3 launches, we'll be using THIS forum software (custom-built for AG2) until we get around to building new software (or modifying third-party software to suit our needs).

As such, lengthy discussions about what to include are somewhat fruitless. Once we decide on an engine, we'll start discussing forum features.

Showing 16-16 of 19