ForumsWEPRGun and Knife crime in London

15 4074
woody_7007
woody_7007
2,662 posts
Peasant

In 2007 27 teenagers were stabbed to death in London alone and in the first 10 weeks of 2008 another 9 fatal stabbings occured. 48 people were shot dead in London in 2007.

These are statistics from just the past two years however you can see how serious an issue it is. As a teenager who lives in London it distresses me that i cannot go outside to play football anymore without being in fear of getting 'shanked' or 'lugged'. Recently someone was stabbed and killed at the trainstation 5 mins from my house. The question is what is the root of the problem and how can we fix it.

Is it the gangs?(black, white, polish?)
Is it poor policing
Is it the estates having a poor environment?
Post your opinion

(Anyone can comment not just Londeners as it is also a global issue. Americans have similar problems in their inner cities)

• 15 Replies
Skipper8656568
Skipper8656568
325 posts
Peasant

i REALLY DONT KNOW but i think that it will hurt you.

Grimlok
Grimlok
154 posts
Nomad

Polish? How are Polish people not in the white category?

Ichibon
Ichibon
136 posts
Peasant

Why don't you check the homeless statistics for your area and the gang violence ratio of London. It might or might not help, but it's a better start than you had. I think.;-p

SkullZero1
SkullZero1
511 posts
Nomad

Well, those murders were probobly part of some sort of heated argument or gang related, not serial killing (hopefully), so just try to not get into an argument with teenagers and carry protection if you think it truly is a major threat to you.

woody_7007
woody_7007
2,662 posts
Peasant

To Grimlock when i said white i meant English sorry 4 the misunderstanding. To Ichibon its a good point but if you aren't aware England has the worst youth in Europe statistically with more stabbings by people under the age of 18 than anywhere else and trust me its not homeless people but fair point. To SkullZero1 i am not saying there are serial killers on Londons streets but just extremely violent youths whose first reaction to being offended is to stab someone.

I personally belive that alcohol is a big part of the problem as it is readily available to people. 48 percent of violent crime is drink related in Britain. I admit i first got drunk when i was 13, that's how easy you can get booze in Britain. There is talk of a new law to make the drinking age 21 not 18 but i thik that's stupid you should just make it harder to buy alcohol in off licences eg oddbins an make it harder in places like tesco aswell.

Flipski
Flipski
623 posts
Nomad

I'm Polish, are there really Polish gangs in London? I find that funny.

woody_7007
woody_7007
2,662 posts
Peasant

Yes quite a few. They come over to work here and make money. Then on the last night before they leave they mug people in Hammersmith take phones + wallets and then go home. However it's not only this but the Polish have a thing about carrying knives and there have been a few stabbings involving Poles, so its not that funny

hierensi
hierensi
40 posts
Nomad

i think that crime in america is much worse(no offence)
also im wondering why so many british people know about this website and so few of my friends know about it =( (no offence once again)

Moegreche
Moegreche
3,829 posts
Duke

Woody, is it really so bad that you actually are afraid to go outside? That just makes me picture armed thugs literally roaming the streets, waiting for a mark. Certainly violent crime is commonplace across the pond here, but I really only feel afraid if I'm in a rough part of town - and even then it's usually not just random violence towards anyone who comes near someone.
But I think part of the problem is the sprawl of many huge cities like London. You have decently wealthy middle and upper-middle class people in very close proximity with those well below the poverty line. This creates easy opportunities for those who feel like they can take from other.
In Japan, the "classes" are segregated, presumably to stop violent crime like that from happening as easily. If you're wealthy, then you live around only other wealthy people, and you don't really need to steal. If you're poor, then you only live around other poor people who really don't have much to steal anyway.
Maybe that's the direction all crowded cities should start taking?

LordBob
LordBob
517 posts
Nomad

This seems like a big problem, it could be the alcohol. What kind of neighborhood do you live in? That could also be the problem. It's seems that the teens there are under a lot of gang pressure, even those who are not in gangs want to look though so they don't get "shanked" by other gangs, so when they get offended the go overboard.
LORDBOB HAS SPOKEN!!!

LordBob
LordBob
517 posts
Nomad

i think that crime in america is much worse(no offence)

Offense to america? because that dosen't seem like an insult to woody.
Tokko
Tokko
13 posts
Nomad

This matter is very seruois i wish viloce and killing will stop but thats the way it is you hide and run until your caught then your with god then

woody_7007
woody_7007
2,662 posts
Peasant

To Lord Bob my neighbourhood is a mix there is 1 bit with rele nice houses but then loads of estates opposite so the rich kids get jacked by the rudeboys. But also i didn't want to offend Americans who might think that America is rougher than England and vice versa. But also about the neighbourhood thing Stabbings occur in the nice parts of London aswell which is the sad thing. And no offence to Tokko thanks for the sentiment but that doesn't really suggest a cause or cure for the problem

hierensi
hierensi
40 posts
Nomad

really the way to stop violence is to get smarter cops and stuff, and do that by increaseing the requirements and salaries of cops

woody_7007
woody_7007
2,662 posts
Peasant

Yes that has been proven to decrease crime in some areas, by increasing the number of policemen on the streets. However i have heard thatthe most effective way of stopping crime is to make abortions free as they stop unwanted children growing up in broken homes with o dads being bor. Children who are far more likely to become criminals.

Showing 1-15 of 15