ForumsNews and FeedbackBB Codes

16 5142
Kevin4762
Kevin4762
2,421 posts
Nomad

Well, Edit button has prolly been suggested before and is pretty self explanatory, but what I want to focus on is BB Codes.

We have a pretty good amount, but underling and being able to change your colour of your text. I don't know why Moderators' and Admins' text are different colours when it already says what they are. Those are the only BB Codes I would like to add, but not a necessity.

What would be even better, are sigs, user titles, and custom armatars.

I think, after a certain number of posts, you should be able to choose your own user title, signature, and armatar. Of course, it would have to be approved by the mods.

Now, you will prolly say it is more of a strain on mods, but what most forums have is assistant moderators who perform certain duties. One of these duties is to close threads in certain forums or ban people only in certain forums. Another, is just to approve/report people's signatures/avatars/user titles.

What would happen is after 3 000 posts, you can email an assistant mod to add a custom user title, armatar, or signature. Since not many people have 3 000 posts, it would be an exclusive reward for it.

If you are in the top ten of the AP leaderboard, there should be a reward system because currently, AP serves no purpose. The concept is fine, but there is no reason to have it.

• 16 Replies
cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

BBcode support already has a thread, and we may consider TinyMCE. It will depend on the forum engine we use, which has not been determined yet.

sigs, probably not

user titles, probably not

custom armatars, been discussed to death (please read the armatar sticky)

AP will not be given for community involvement in AG3 (read the sticky on Armor Points)

KyahcoSukaimasutae
KyahcoSukaimasutae
311 posts
Nomad

Now, you will prolly say it is more of a strain on mods, but what most forums have is assistant moderators who perform certain duties. One of these duties is to close threads in certain forums or ban people only in certain forums. Another s just to approve/report people's signatures/avatars/user titles

But imagein 700,000++ people and rising fast , even if only a quarter of ever one changed that day which will happen once when every one changes the first time, that is 150,000 to 200,000 people trying to change armartars so a group of mods has to look though 200,000 pictures!!!! That is insane!!

What would happen is after 3 000 posts, you can email an assistant mod to add a custom user title, armatar, or signature. Since not many people have 3 000 posts, it would be an exclusive reward for it

I'll tell ya, MASS SPAM!! we already have spam we have been trying to make it so spam will not happen as the curnt system is not working, so no one will get ap for posts, you are not rewarded for the amout of posts or just for posting you are going to get rewarded for making outstanding posts.

If you are in the top ten of the AP leaderboard, there should be a reward system because currently, AP serves no purpose. The concept is fine, but no reason to have it

Well we will not have ap in ag3 we will have rep (reputation), it is like "karma" it will go down if your bad and you'll lose priveleges, or if your good it goes up and your rewarded. It will be great to stop spam there are a lot of topics on rep look for karma topis.

And al of these have been talked about I seem a lot of these ever week , pleaese look at the ag3 relaese history and the master list (last I knew it was very out dated, but it has a lot of this type of stuff in it) and just browse the forums click the 1234.100,000 (lol jk) next buttons to see other pages and look alittle, plus in the begining it seems we where a lot freer on what was happening behinde the seances
Kevin4762
Kevin4762
2,421 posts
Nomad

But imagein 700,000++ people and rising fast , even if only a quarter of ever one changed that day which will happen once when every one changes the first time, that is 150,000 to 200,000 people trying to change armartars so a group of mods has to look though 200,000 pictures!!!! That is insane!!

Less than 100 people have 3 000 posts.
I'll tell ya, MASS SPAM!! we already have spam we have been trying to make it so spam will not happen as the curnt system is not working, so no one will get ap for posts, you are not rewarded for the amout of posts or just for posting you are going to get rewarded for making outstanding posts.

Maybe not posts, but certainly AP or whatever karma system them have. Also, how will rewards for posting produce spam? That's like saying giving out grants to people will cause a large amount of knowledge. It makes no sense.
thepyro222
thepyro222
2,151 posts
Peasant

I think this whole entire thing is ridiculous. Make it like other forums, let people choose a text color, have a signature, and change their usernames! You people are a little over sensitive with this "spam" BS. If it's that much of a problem, get more mods. If you're that concerned with spam, then don't make everyone pay the price. Also, I really hope this AG3 is better than it sounds...

Kevin4762
Kevin4762
2,421 posts
Nomad

I think this whole entire thing is ridiculous. Make it like other forums, let people choose a text color, have a signature, and change their usernames! You people are a little over sensitive with this "spam" BS. If it's that much of a problem, get more mods. If you're that concerned with spam, then don't make everyone pay the price. Also, I really hope this AG3 is better than it sounds...

vBulletin should really be the forum engine, don't you think?
samdawghomie
samdawghomie
3,551 posts
Peasant

You people are a little over sensitive with this "spam" BS.

This is the only thing I agree with.
But I don't like the ideas of changing fonts and colors, plus the addition of signitures.
I like the simplicity of the forums. Except for the fact there isn't an edit button.
Kevin4762
Kevin4762
2,421 posts
Nomad

Whatever, fonts and colours are needed, but spoilers, linked images, and flash is a must.

cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

As we've already stated, colored fonts will not be an option. *other* fonts, maybe, but not in different colors.

flash, probably not. We'll have a "showcase" area for people to post Flash games for preview, but we don't want people posting links to other swf files in our forums.

Spoilers, we've already discussed. I like it. Linked images is something we already have.

But guys, seriously, what part of "we can't discuss features until we decide on a forum engine" doesn't make sense? We simply can't elaborate on which features we can/will/cannot/won't have when we don't even know which engine we're going to use?

Kevin4762
Kevin4762
2,421 posts
Nomad

flash, probably not. We'll have a "showcase" area for people to post Flash games for preview, but we don't want people posting links to other swf files in our forums.

No, I mean a box within a post that has a scroll bar, that way flash codes aren't extremely long.
Spoilers, we've already discussed. I like it. Linked images is something we already have.

Just because we've discussed this doesn't mean it shouldn't be implemented. Linked images? Alright then.
But guys, seriously, what part of "we can't discuss features until we decide on a forum engine" doesn't make sense? We simply can't elaborate on which features we can/will/cannot/won't have when we don't even know which engine we're going to use?

Get vBulletin.
KyahcoSukaimasutae
KyahcoSukaimasutae
311 posts
Nomad

Kevin, please don't tell a company what to do, there will pick it but just not now, they have a "scheule" and doing things at the moment a user says and how is not on it. (No offence)

I think this whole entire thing is ridiculous. Make it like other forums, let people choose a text color, have a signature, and change their usernames! You people are a little over sensitive with this "spam" [senced]. If it's that much of a problem, get more mods. If you're that concerned with spam, then don't make everyone pay the price. Also, I really hope this AG3 is better than it sounds..

We'll first why do we need colors, why? If there is no reson for it then it just make the forums look messy. Then the mods and admid have colors only to make it show up if you want a part on your secntince to show up just use bold .

And about spam, that is like saying "well instead of stoping crime we should just get more plice to cech the bad guys, and we should not make any laws cuz they can be bother some..."

And kevin about the psting reward thing I am saying it would make people post more to get the reward, and the easyest and fast way to get it is spam.
Kevin4762
Kevin4762
2,421 posts
Nomad

Kevin, please don't tell a company what to do, there will pick it but just not now, they have a "scheule" and doing things at the moment a user says and how is not on it. (No offence)

Then what's the point of even having and AG3 forum if they don't want our suggestions?

We'll first why do we need colors, why? If there is no reson for it then it just make the forums look messy. Then the mods and admid have colors only to make it show up if you want a part on your secntince to show up just use bold .

There's a universal rule that blue means sarcasm so it might help but it's not a necessity.

Also, the second, part I have no idea what you said. What's a secntince?

And about spam, that is like saying "well instead of stoping crime we should just get more plice to cech the bad guys, and we should not make any laws cuz they can be bother some..."

That's not what he's saying at all. He's saying the Admins are too concerned with spam. A signature, avatar, and text codes would not cause spam at all.

Also, what's a plice and cech?

And kevin about the psting reward thing I am saying it would make people post more to get the reward, and the easyest and fast way to get it is spam.

I doubt that many people would try to get 3 000 posts too quickly.
KyahcoSukaimasutae
KyahcoSukaimasutae
311 posts
Nomad

Thank bunches with 5 Aps on top patrick! Yes I admit I am a bad speller, but some times, it is simple to figure out ( and look up that email will all the middle lettlers mix up and you can read still), but I was using my bilt in spell check, al those where typos, and I am useing an android most of the time and the buttons are so small.

Well kevin they love sugestions, ( I thought I put that at the end of the sentace) it just seemed like you where demaning for them to get that sertan engine. They have to look at all the things AG users what too get. The perfect one.

But blue text for sarcasm? Never knew that...I have jus acted like it was bb code like this: [sarcasm] I don't like the forums[/sarcasm] as tags. But here we use differnat colors for the mods/ adim to make it noticeable.

Kevin4762
Kevin4762
2,421 posts
Nomad

A "secntince" is simply a misspelling of the word "sentence."

That isn't even a type. If he said senrence or dentence or something, I would say oh, d is next to s and he pressed the wrong key, but secntince?

&quotlice" is a misspelling of &quotolice," and "cech" is a misspelling of "catch." Stop asking the meanings of misspelled words. Also, blue doesn't mean sarcasm on Armor Games. Blue text is what moderators use.

I know, but I'm saying, if Armor Games doesn't need to make the Admins' and Mods' text different,. They already have a title that says Admin or Mod.

Thank bunches with 5 Aps on top patrick! Yes I admit I am a bad speller, but some times, it is simple to figure out ( and look up that email will all the middle lettlers mix up and you can read still), but I was using my bilt in spell check, al those where typos, and I am useing an android most of the time and the buttons are so small.

Yes, but the letters in that sentence are still in the word.

Well kevin they love sugestions, ( I thought I put that at the end of the sentace) it just seemed like you where demaning for them to get that sertan engine. They have to look at all the things AG users what too get. The perfect one.

Obviously I can't force them to get vBulletin. I am just trying to say that it is used my almost 90% of them forums on the Web and has loads of features. You can also customize what you want, so it pretty simple to use.

There's a reason why so many forums use vBulletin.

But blue text for sarcasm? Never knew that...I have jus acted like it was bb code like this: [sarcasm] I don't like the forums[/sarcasm] as tags. But here we use differnat colors for the mods/ adim to make it noticeable.

4chan pioneered everything on the Web, almost. Blue text is universally sarcastic. If a newb goes on the site and uses blue text all the time, in some forums, he'll be banned for using sarcasm too much.
cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

The problem with a lot of the most common forum software packages is that they're easy targets for hackers, and having to rely on a third party to provide security patches is one of our top concerns. Plus, any third party forum engine we choose is going to have to be heavily customized for our use to use our authentication, moderation levels, not to mention an easy way to import a couple of million forum posts.

That's what we're in the process of evaluating: do we spend a month or two customizing someone else's software, and then have to re-customize it every time they release a security patch, or do we just spend that time to build our own and maybe have fewer features... but it *would* be something we could always add to later if users asked for certain features.

Kevin4762
Kevin4762
2,421 posts
Nomad

The problem with a lot of the most common forum software packages is that they're easy targets for hackers, and having to rely on a third party to provide security patches is one of our top concerns. Plus, any third party forum engine we choose is going to have to be heavily customized for our use to use our authentication, moderation levels, not to mention an easy way to import a couple of million forum posts.

True, spam bots do attack vBulletin software, but v4 was said to patch many of them. A third party forum engine, like vBulletin, has loads of customization and features in the standard version alone. You can program what you want, so if you don't want vBulletin user profiles to appear, it doesn't have to.
Showing 1-15 of 16