ForumsWEPRTheism and Atheism

4668 1386041
thepyro222
thepyro222
2,151 posts
Peasant

I grew up atheist for 16 years. I had always kept an open mind towards religion, but never really felt a need to believe in it. My sister started going to a Wednesday night children's program at a church. Eventually, I was dragged into a Christmas Eve service. Scoffing, I reluctantly went, assuming that this was going to be a load of crap, but when I went, I felt something. Something that I've never felt before. I felt a sense of empowerment and a sense of calling. Jesus called upon my soul, just like he did with his disciples. he wanted me to follow him. Now, my life is being lived for Christ. He died on the cross for my sins, and the sins of everyone who believes in him. He was beaten, brutalized, struck with a whip 39 times, made to carry a cross up to the stage of his death. This I believe to be true, and I can never repay him for what he has done.
I still have my struggles with Christianity, but I've found this bit of information most useful. Religion is not comprehensible in the human mind, because we cannot comprehend the idea of a perfect and supreme being, a God, but we can believe it in our heart, and that's the idea of faith. Faith is, even though everything rides against me believing in Jesus, I still believe in him because I know that it's true in my heart. I invite my fellow Brothers and sisters of the LORD to talk about how Jesus has helped you in your life. No atheists and no insults please

• 4,668 Replies
Blkasp
Blkasp
1,308 posts
Nomad

He could of just pressed the reset button

Ah yes, but he did. Noah's Flood.
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

Since free will consists of consistently negative consequences of which the perfect God knew ahead of time, free will is not perfect.

Not to mention according to Christianity some of those consequences are done by God.
loloynage2
loloynage2
4,211 posts
Peasant

So what we have established here is that true free will does not exist. Therefore there is no such thing as free will?

Or maybe there is no such thing as god.

If he just wanted to use magic, why didn't he just plague the whole world? or make all the humans vanish? Or reset the earth?
ExplosionsHurt
ExplosionsHurt
249 posts
Nomad

Okay so why did god put a knowledge tree in the garden?

If you read the other person's argument, then God had put the tree in it so that Adam and Eve could choose to eat it if they wanted to. If there was no way to sin, then sinning is not really a choice, right?
BigP08
BigP08
1,455 posts
Shepherd

So what we have established here is that true free will does not exist. Therefore there is no such thing as free will?

I will choose to define free will for the purpose of our discussion.
Free will: the ability to make choices based on what our brains our wired to do
So we will make certain choices in our lives based on our environment, and there is no way to change the choice we will make because by changing it, we fulfill the choice we were really going to make.
Free will in the sense that it escapes the pre-existing knowledge of an all-knowing and perfect god cannot exist.

I think by reset button loboynage meant undoing all events and warning us beforehand not to listen to the serpant in the garden. Isn't this within the power of a perfect god?
pballaddict
pballaddict
128 posts
Nomad

Isaiah 55:9
âAs the heavens are higher than the earth,
so are my ways higher than your ways
and my thoughts than your thoughts."
Our definition of real could be fake to him. Our definition of normal could be weird. Our colors that we are limited to, could be bland to him. We don't know. The thoughts we are limited to are nothing compared to him.

pballaddict
pballaddict
128 posts
Nomad

I copied and pasted the verse, not the rest.

pballaddict
pballaddict
128 posts
Nomad

I copied and pasted the verse, not the rest.

BigP08
BigP08
1,455 posts
Shepherd

Our definition of real could be fake to him. Our definition of normal could be weird. Our colors that we are limited to, could be bland to him. We don't know. The thoughts we are limited to are nothing compared to him.

How can we worship something we cannot comprehend at all? Why doesn't God enlighten us so that we can know why he does certain things? What kind of game is it where we have to rely on blind faith to live in heaven simply because God knows more than we do?
pballaddict
pballaddict
128 posts
Nomad

If we knew as he knew, there would be no point in believing, And there would be no future to look forward to. Does that sound fun?

Blkasp
Blkasp
1,308 posts
Nomad

[quote]So what we have established here is that true free will does not exist. Therefore there is no such thing as free will?

Or maybe there is no such thing as god.[/quote]

Or maybe there is a God and there is such thing as free will. Just because God knows what you are going to do, he didn't force that upon you, you are the person who made the decision.

Let's make a scenario.

God is watching you bully someone and yet he can't directly stop you or else it will compromise free will.
BigP08
BigP08
1,455 posts
Shepherd

If we knew as he knew, there would be no point in believing And there would be no future to look forward to. Does that sound fun?

It sounds like heaven, actually.

Why does there have to be a point in believing? Why do we have to choose to believe in God when he hides from us for thousands of years?
And why would there be no future to look forward to? Wouldn't we still have a shot at heaven even if we knew beforehand about his existence?
Satan, for instance, knew about God but chose to defy him. Knowing about God doesn't make it impossible to turn away from him, so why can't we know about his existence?
pballaddict
pballaddict
128 posts
Nomad

Everybody watch this video. Then make another smart comment, atheists.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldHF6PFUukw&feature=related

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

If you read the other person's argument, then God had put the tree in it so that Adam and Eve could choose to eat it if they wanted to. If there was no way to sin, then sinning is not really a choice, right?

So if I want an infant to have free will I should leave dangerous things around him within easy access?
ExplosionsHurt
ExplosionsHurt
249 posts
Nomad

Interesting thought there.

We do know about God's existence however. If we didn't know about God, there wouldn't be a thread on Armor about God.

That's not what you mean, is it?

Showing 2161-2175 of 4668