ForumsWEPRTheism and Atheism

4668 1390083
thepyro222
thepyro222
2,151 posts
Peasant

I grew up atheist for 16 years. I had always kept an open mind towards religion, but never really felt a need to believe in it. My sister started going to a Wednesday night children's program at a church. Eventually, I was dragged into a Christmas Eve service. Scoffing, I reluctantly went, assuming that this was going to be a load of crap, but when I went, I felt something. Something that I've never felt before. I felt a sense of empowerment and a sense of calling. Jesus called upon my soul, just like he did with his disciples. he wanted me to follow him. Now, my life is being lived for Christ. He died on the cross for my sins, and the sins of everyone who believes in him. He was beaten, brutalized, struck with a whip 39 times, made to carry a cross up to the stage of his death. This I believe to be true, and I can never repay him for what he has done.
I still have my struggles with Christianity, but I've found this bit of information most useful. Religion is not comprehensible in the human mind, because we cannot comprehend the idea of a perfect and supreme being, a God, but we can believe it in our heart, and that's the idea of faith. Faith is, even though everything rides against me believing in Jesus, I still believe in him because I know that it's true in my heart. I invite my fellow Brothers and sisters of the LORD to talk about how Jesus has helped you in your life. No atheists and no insults please

• 4,668 Replies
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

I made this kind of more for Christians, not for atheists to come and flame Jesus. I'm not going to argue with any of you because all I will get is arguments back or denial of the proof that I give you, this is a prime example of your closed- mindedness. all I'm going to say is that I am a Christian, I believe in Jesus, and I'm proud of it

Dude... I'm technically officially protestant, nothing in my post was offensive, so now you will answer my question or it's your butt I will flame. I just want an honest statement out of you concerning what I wanted to know, and I promise I will not incommode you further.
thepyro222
thepyro222
2,151 posts
Peasant

One, why do you believe in the bible over any other religion? Fromy my point of view they all appear equally valid, what makes one more so than the other?

Because, simply put, Christianity is the only religion that's true. It is historically proven, through other documents from that time, that Jesus did get crucified and rose from the tomb. Also, Christianity is the only religion that gives you true salvation

Two, do you actually hear voices, or is it all in feelings? Or do you not feel anything, but just trust that he is there?

All three have happened to me. It's not a literal voice, but I know that God is speaking to me, I've had thoughts pop in my head after praying, like an answer to my prayer, I have had feelings of the presence of Jesus Christ in a room, and sometimes, I don't feel God's answer, but I trust that he's heard. That's called faith.

Three, Why is/was Rock and Roll considered the Devil's music?

Because it hurts old peoples' ears. I love heavy metal, in fact it's the only thing I listen to. It's considered the "devil's music" basically because old people don't like it and it's a counterculture. There are plenty of Christian metal bands, like Demon Hunter and War of Ages. There are also Christians in secular metal bands. The lead singer of Slayer is Catholic, according to his interview in Heavy: the Story of Metal
thepyro222
thepyro222
2,151 posts
Peasant

Can you tell me why I never felt that calling? During school we had to go at least four times a year to church, and at least twelve times in the year before confirmation. I never talked with an atheist about religion before confirmation, for me it was usual that one was part of a religion and went to services (whether one liked it or not), the priest and the vicar were friendly, and my parents left me choose my way concerning religion on my own. You could think I almost had to become a believer, yet I am by far not the only one of my school who is atheist, and the only feeling I had concerning visiting religion course and service was the sense of duty I also had for the rest of school. Why did I not feel any calling when I was unaware even of the concept of atheism? Why did I slowly realize I never truly believed? Because of free will? Then, why did you feel a calling, why has your free will been restricted?

This was not driected at you. But I don't know why, you should probably sit and talk with a pastor about this. I've only been saved for two years. My knowledge is limited.
Kasic
Kasic
5,556 posts
Jester

Because, simply put, Christianity is the only religion that's true

Okay, that makes sense, but how did you get to that point? How do you know that it's true over any other? All other religions also have backing in their own holy books, that say something took place. In fact, the Qu'ran or however you spell it flat out says that Muhhamad was told by god that Jesus was not in fact the son of god.

I've had thoughts pop in my head after praying, like an answer to my prayer,

That happens to me all of the time, even though i'm not praying. It's called intuition, the subconcious linking of pre-existing thoughts/memories to form a new conclusion instantly. To me what you're saying is you sit down, think about the problem, talk to your god, and during that, your mind links together what you already know. How do you know it's not that instead of God answering you?

Because it hurts old peoples' ears.

I don't think it's quite that. There was a whole lot of resistance from the church towards Rock and Roll when it first appeared, public condemnations, threats toward rockers from Christians...I think something more had to be going on there.
thepyro222
thepyro222
2,151 posts
Peasant

I think you're thinking too much about everything. I believe the Qu'ran was written by the prophet Muhammad himself, so it's easy to say that God told him things. I have not heard any proof of him doing any miracles or fulfilling any prophecies from the Old Testament. As far as the intuition, I don't get "memories"... I get real answers. I believe that my God talks to me, and if it is intuition, then it's still what God would say.

Avorne
Avorne
3,087 posts
Nomad

Alright then - what about your holy book requiring that homosexuals, people who disobeyed their parents and those that worked on the sabbath be stoned to death?

Highfire
Highfire
3,026 posts
Nomad

I made this kind of more for Christians, not for atheists to come and flame Jesus. I'm not going to argue with any of you because all I will get is arguments back or denial of the proof that I give you, this is a prime example of your closed- mindedness. all I'm going to say is that I am a Christian, I believe in Jesus, and I'm proud of it

Are you a troll? Seriously.
You are honestly NOT worth my time to argue with, if you want a proper argument, go to Atheism FTW.

Two, do you actually hear voices, or is it all in feelings? Or do you not feel anything, but just trust that he is there?

He's mentally ill, in my opinion.

Dude... I'm technically officially protestant, nothing in my post was offensive, so now you will answer my question or it's your butt I will flame. I just want an honest statement out of you concerning what I wanted to know, and I promise I will not incommode you further.

Don't flame, it will feed the troll.
I would've but, well yeah. Woulda fed the troll.

And right now I can only assume he is a troll because of his "logic". He hasn't been saved for 2 years, and abortion would have saved him, and even they're not morally correct imo.

Because, simply put, Christianity is the only religion that's true. It is historically proven, through other documents from that time, that Jesus did get crucified and rose from the tomb. Also, Christianity is the only religion that gives you true salvation

1. Explain
2. No it isn't
3. Looking at you, salvation appears near-impossible

That's called faith.

You heard of logic? Woop-dee freakin' doo, you believe in Christ, want a medal? No, you don't deserve one, you are lazy. You don't use logic, you put all your responsibility on a so-called "God", whom, I might add, is a prick in the stories, and last to say, you are close-minded. Oorah. That's faith.

This was not driected at you. But I don't know why, you should probably sit and talk with a pastor about this. I've only been saved for two years. My knowledge is limited.

Oh-- and shall we talk to him with an open-mind? I've discussed with my History teacher about Religion, me being non-religious and he being religious. It was a philosophical debate and whilst we didn't boil down to a solid conclucsion, we learnt more from eachother - and I'm talking about a religious person here. I done so with an open-mind, but everything he said I had an answer to, something you obviously didn't and something you obviously didn't seek. You were never an Atheist, and you have never had an open-mind.

- H
Highfire
Highfire
3,026 posts
Nomad

I believe that my God talks to me, and if it is intuition, then it's still what God would say.

Qu'ran was written by the prophet Muhammad himself, so it's easy to say that God told him things.

Look at yourself. Boo! Hypocricy.

I have not heard any proof of him doing any miracles or fulfilling any prophecies from the Old Testament.

I have not heard any proof of Jesus doing any miracles or fulfilling any prophecies from anything historically or scientifically related. Give a source, or stfu and sit down.

As far as the intuition, I don't get "memories"... I get real answers.

This is easily contradicted by your next statement...

I believe that my God talks to me, and if it is intuition, then it's still what God would say.

Nice dude, great contradiction, so apparently your intuition is the collection of knowledge being shown to you through many forms and that is God? Sounds like imagination.

God is your imagination, as far as I'm concerned.

- H
Kasic
Kasic
5,556 posts
Jester

I think you're thinking too much about everything. I believe the Qu'ran was written by the prophet Muhammad himself, so it's easy to say that God told him things.

So if god did talk to him, and told Muhammad that Jesus was not the son of god, wouldn't that pretty much be the opposite of the entire New Testament?

As far as the intuition, I don't get "memories"... I get real answers. I believe that my God talks to me, and if it is intuition, then it's still what God would say.

For intuition, you don't remember the memories, or make new ones for an answer, you subconciously link what you know to find an answer.

In my mind, the only way religion is reconciliable with what we know, is if the holy writings and teachings are flawed, which is entirely possible due to many factors, and just say god works through how the world works, and we have no idea what his goals are or why he allows things to happen. The only way, in my mind, that he could be considered a "loving god" is if when everyone died, he took their soul, if that is to be believed, and teaches everyone who dies everything, and then gives them eternal peace. Currently, there are just so many holes in all religions that the only possible answer is that they are not right, although each may have a few parts right - if there is a god at all.
keeton52
keeton52
928 posts
Nomad

Threads like this is why I come here at all. Great entertainment value.

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

Three, Why is/was Rock and Roll considered the Devil's music?

Scapegoating, Same reason people claim playing violent video games will make kids go on a killing spree.

Because, simply put, Christianity is the only religion that's true. It is historically proven, through other documents from that time, that Jesus did get crucified and rose from the tomb.

What documents? As far as I'm aware there are not contemporary documents of any of that. There are extra Biblical documents mentioning Jesus, but the more telling of them are likely forgeries or simply restating what early Christians were saying. Non of them address Jesus rising from the tomb and even biblically speaking the actual event of his rising was second hand information at best.

The practices of Rome at the time also puts into question Jesus even having a tomb, as Romans typically denied burial to those who were crucified. It was this nonburial that made crucifixion such a supreme penalty. Though while unlikely there were documented cases of exceptions. These were from the approach of a Roman holiday (Jewish festival might not apply) or the request from a Roman governor. In either way this is unlikely for Jesus's case.
Holladay15
Holladay15
3,671 posts
Nomad

Now, I was reading this thread and who ever originated this thread no worries all this is for the glory of God. Now whether you believe in God is irrelevant, proof of God we can go on forever because proof is what is known to man not what is actually there for example the world people thought that the earth was flat because there was no proof that existed otherwise just because the proof is there or isn't doesn't mean anything. Now NEEDING proof or evidence to believe God is a completely is was this thread is about. science wouldn't exist if there wasn't that one "crazy guy" that believed in something like Christopher Columbus. There wouldn't be a lot of the things we have today if there wasn't that one indifferent person that said "Hey wouldn't it be cool if there was a device the froze a moment and printed it on paper" what do you think people thought about them. Those situation is no different from what we are having now. Faith in the dictionary means "belief that is not based on proof". Now I'm not trying to make anyone open their heart to Jesus because in the bible is says he will knock and he will dine with you if YOU choose to open not me that the guy above you not your parents YOU but, dont flame this guy for having faith in God. A God that does exist a God who intervenes for his CHILDREN not for his creation notice how i say that he loves all his creation but, intervenes for his children not everyone are his children it says in the bible "Many are called few are chosen" so, yes there are tragedy in the world yes there is war but, that because he knock but, people chose to not open the door and all these bad things are for the glory of God because when it comes to the point where things get impossible when it gets to the point where everyone is crying for a miracle that's when he comes in he doesn't come in when something is possible what would be the point he comes in when something is impossible and i notice how some people says "even if there was a God what is the point of following if all you want is to go to heaven" its not only for that spot in the book of life. It for the love its because he is my father, he is my creator even if the world might abandon me even if my own parents that I am blessed with were to hate me even if the times get tough and I have no more strength I know that My Savior Jesus Christ has already conquered the world, That my God has all the love for me and that he does have the strength. So, just because you might not have faith don't mess with this Christian follower because you know what he is a Child of God and No one messes with a child of God.

thisisnotanalt
thisisnotanalt
9,824 posts
Shepherd

3. Looking at you, salvation appears near-impossible

You're making yourself look like a hypocrite by chastising the Christian guy about being illogical, and then throwing ad hominem arguments at him. Don't be an idiot.
Highfire
Highfire
3,026 posts
Nomad

FYI, they won't stop. It might be best to ignore them. Unless you really want to. but realize, it's you (and maybe me) against the two thousand of them (give or take a little). Not many Christians are on here - at least argue on here - anymore. And try not to insult them - they take it very seriously.

Last sentence makes me think it's trolling.

Christianity is really that bad now. :<

Threads like this is why I come here at all. Great entertainment value.

Well, at least my anger is useful

Mage. Please, do not try to argue, it will actually annoy me seeing his reactions because no matter what he does, I am positive I will not be happy with it. If he "is shown the light" I will be in excruitiating mental restraint from killing him because of his utterly unrealistic change of character and such...

Anyway. I'm off, I haven't played a game in a while, and I don't know what one to play :<

- H
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

Especially this one. Mentioning the hanging,

Okay But what about the money? One telling Judas buys a piece of land with the sliver to hang himself (odd real estate decision), the other he throws the money on the ground then the chief priest takes the money and buys the land. You can't use the money to buy a plot of land and throw it on the ground.

Matthew 27:3-8
Then Judas, which had betrayed him (Jesus), when he saw that he was
condemned, repented himself, and brought again the thirty pieces of
silver to the chief priests and elders. Saying, I have sinned in that I have betrayed the innocent blood. And they said, What is that to us? see thou to that. And he cast down the pieces of silver in the temple, and departed, and went and hanged himself. And the chief priests took the silver pieces and said, It is not lawful for to put them into the treasury, because it is the price of blood. And they took counsel, and bought with them the potter's field, to bury strangers in. Wherefore that field was called, The field of blood, unto this day.

Acts 1:16-19
Men and brethren, this scripture must needs have been fulfilled, which the Holy Ghost by the mouth of David spake before concerning Judas, which was guide to them that took Jesus. For he was numbered with us, and had obtained part of this ministry. Now this man purchased a field with the reward of iniquity; and falling headlong, he burst asunder in the midst, and all his bowels gushed out. And it was known unto all the dwellers at Jerusalem; insomuch as that field is called in their proper tongue, Aceldama, that is to say, The Field of Blood.
Showing 16-30 of 4668