Forums

ForumsWorld Events, Politics, Religion, Etc.

Theism and Atheism

Posted Jan 30, '14 at 10:40am

mbbs112

mbbs112

192 posts

You guys are Making Christianity the representator of other religions including Islam. You guys dont believe that the Bible was a Book made by Allah because unlike the Holy Quran , All of the other Holy Books have been corrupted by Humans and that is why Muslims are instructed to take guidance only from the Quran as it hasnt been edited in any way

Posted Jan 30, '14 at 10:42am

mbbs112

mbbs112

192 posts

Let me ask you guys a question, Have any of you read the Holy Quran? You guys should read it in translated english since its more easier

Posted Jan 30, '14 at 12:20pm

Moegreche

Moegreche

3,237 posts

Let me ask you guys a question, Have any of you read the Holy Quran? You guys should read it in translated english since its more easier

I've had the great pleasure of reading the text whilst listening to the recitation. It's simply beautiful. But your point isn't relevant here at all. I think the argument I had set up on the previous page applies just as well to Islam - at least, that was my intention.
So take a look at my previous argument in response to Mage's question. This is the issue on offer. If my response isn't applicable, then I would appreciate clarification on this point.

Posted Jan 30, '14 at 12:33pm

EmperorPalpatine

EmperorPalpatine

9,485 posts

You guys should read it in translated english since its more easier

I did. When I pointed out inconsistencies I was then told that no English translation will ever convey the true righteous meaning and that I'd need to study old Arabic.

Posted Jan 30, '14 at 12:45pm

mbbs112

mbbs112

192 posts

Good for you Emperor

Posted Jan 30, '14 at 2:06pm

FishPreferred

FishPreferred

1,691 posts

You guys are Making Christianity the representator of other religions including Islam.

No; some of these guys might be doing so, but Christianity was not the topic of recent discussion.

You guys dont believe that the Bible was a Book made by Allah because unlike the Holy Quran , All of the other Holy Books have been corrupted by Humans

No; I don't believe that the Bible was a Book made by Allah because it was not a book made by Allah. I do not need to invoke the Quran. It is irrelevant to the discussion.

and that is why Muslims are instructed to take guidance only from the Quran as it hasnt been edited in any way

You guys should read it in translated english since its more easier

I assume you are aware that the translation of a text is an editorial process, and the most likely source of error for a written work. Why then should I read an english translation if it is almost certainly not intact and unchanged? How confident are you that your own understanding of the text is no different from its original meaning?

Posted Jan 30, '14 at 11:19pm

abt79

abt79

61 posts

[quote]Why? You certainly haven't. You've intruded upon a simple philosophical discussion and tossed in what amounts to an insult via guilt by association. Worse still, you're perpetuating a groundless and irrational stereotype which portrays the lemming as a mindless automaton, something I cannot forgive.

Not really insult, that seems to be what I was AGAINST. And as for the lemming stereotype, well it's a common expression, and no lemmings were harmed in the making of my comment. Also, unlike most stereotypes, this one actually has some basis of truth.

Posted Jan 30, '14 at 11:44pm

FishPreferred

FishPreferred

1,691 posts

when [...] an atheist, instead of using logic to present a point, just says, and I quote, "No any idea of God is a stupid delusion began by some insane terrorist nut job who wanted to see the world burn."

By associating this individual with atheists in general, you are implying that this is a common practice for atheists, which is a grievous insult.

Also, unlike most stereotypes, this one actually has some basis of truth.

Would this be the "truth" expounded by the explorers who claimed they were spontaneously generated in rain clouds, or the "truth" fabricated by Disney in the '50s? There is no true account of the behaviour that is the basis of the stereotype. There never was. It arose due to ignorance, academic dishonesty, and an unquestioning credulity more fitting of the stereotype than any lemming could be.

Posted Jan 31, '14 at 12:14am

abt79

abt79

61 posts

I said I hate it when Atheists say this, it has happened before, it was not a generalization and I do understand many atheists are reasonable people with an ability to debate without fuming.

I will further research the lemmings, but you are right they do not commit mass suicides. I do not see why you are so offended by it, are you a lemming-rights activist?

Posted Jan 31, '14 at 12:30am

FishPreferred

FishPreferred

1,691 posts

I do not see why you are so offended by it, are you a lemming-rights activist?

I dislike all proliferative falsehoods, and I dislike the conceited assumptions that are all too frequently imposed upon our view of intellect.

Reply to Theism and Atheism

You must be logged in to post a reply!