ForumsWEPRTheism and Atheism

4668 1386072
thepyro222
thepyro222
2,151 posts
Peasant

I grew up atheist for 16 years. I had always kept an open mind towards religion, but never really felt a need to believe in it. My sister started going to a Wednesday night children's program at a church. Eventually, I was dragged into a Christmas Eve service. Scoffing, I reluctantly went, assuming that this was going to be a load of crap, but when I went, I felt something. Something that I've never felt before. I felt a sense of empowerment and a sense of calling. Jesus called upon my soul, just like he did with his disciples. he wanted me to follow him. Now, my life is being lived for Christ. He died on the cross for my sins, and the sins of everyone who believes in him. He was beaten, brutalized, struck with a whip 39 times, made to carry a cross up to the stage of his death. This I believe to be true, and I can never repay him for what he has done.
I still have my struggles with Christianity, but I've found this bit of information most useful. Religion is not comprehensible in the human mind, because we cannot comprehend the idea of a perfect and supreme being, a God, but we can believe it in our heart, and that's the idea of faith. Faith is, even though everything rides against me believing in Jesus, I still believe in him because I know that it's true in my heart. I invite my fellow Brothers and sisters of the LORD to talk about how Jesus has helped you in your life. No atheists and no insults please

• 4,668 Replies
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

You have a reputation for posting youtube links instead of saying anything of substance. Also, for the record, I like you.

I usually do that when I would end up having to type out almost word for word what the video already says.
thisisnotanalt
thisisnotanalt
9,824 posts
Shepherd

I can't give you any &quotroof." There is a thing called faith, and that's what I have. I know that in my heart of hearts that Jesus IS the truth, and that's all that matters. If you choose to not believe, then don't tread on me, but I will pray that Jesus reveals himself to you

I understand - I don't want to know why you believe it, I simply want to know why you assert that it is correct. Do you say it is correct because you believe it, or do you have factual justification? I don't care which, I'm just curious as to it.
thepyro222
thepyro222
2,151 posts
Peasant

I love how every time, I want to have a nice discussion with my fellow believers, it turns into a huge flaming and trolling session. I have respected your atheist thread, now please do the same for mine. There is no reason for you all to comment other than to pick a fight.

thisisnotanalt
thisisnotanalt
9,824 posts
Shepherd

I love how every time, I want to have a nice discussion with my fellow believers, it turns into a huge flaming and trolling session. I have respected your atheist thread, now please do the same for mine. There is no reason for you all to comment other than to pick a fight.

Aw cmon, I just want to know if you think it's correct because you have faith in it, or because you have what you think is sufficient historical justification. I don't want to argue for or against the validity of your position, I just wanna know why you hold it besides faith, if there is anything else.
thepyro222
thepyro222
2,151 posts
Peasant

I've said it once. Christianity is the only religion to give true salvation.

For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
-- John 3:16

Replace "the world" with your name, and replace "His one and only son" with Jesus
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

Fulfillment of many, many prophecies. I don't remember the exact number, but he fulfilled almost all of them.

I hope your not talking about that list of 600+ some odd prophecies that were posted earlier because that was rubbish.

He performed multiple miracles, and rose from the grave.

Since these events are only recorded in the Bible this becomes circular reasoning (which is a fallacy) as you are using the Bible to prove the Bible.

I don't recall anyone requesting theists be barred from that thread. As to why I'm here your using bad logic. I've picked the internet to be my place to take a stand on that, particularly here because I like this forum.

You started with your personal story dealing with religion, perhaps you might like to hear mine?
thepyro222
thepyro222
2,151 posts
Peasant

I really don't cause all you want to do is troll

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

-- John 3:16

I still don't see how human sacrifice equates to salvation or even why it would be needed from a being like a God.
thepyro222
thepyro222
2,151 posts
Peasant

I still don't see how human sacrifice equates to salvation or even why it would be needed from a being like a God

Because he lived a sinless life
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

Because he lived a sinless life

Why does that make a difference and I hope that troll comment wasn't directed at me.
Darkroot
Darkroot
2,763 posts
Peasant

That's not true, atheist endure the same "abuse" as you do. But most of it do not mind having a civil logical conversation to test our beliefs and strengthen our understanding of ourselves and the world we perceive is around us.

Also people usually comment on something they believe is untrue, if everyone just agreed with each other we would not get anywhere intellectually. If you don't like to argue then it's better to not talk to anyone since each individual has their own personal opinion.
If someone thinks something I think or do is wrong I welcome them to talk about it in a civil and logical manner.
314d1
314d1
3,817 posts
Nomad

[quote]Because he lived a sinless life

Assuming that somehow by some logic means that a human/god sacrifice will bring salvation, that still does not explain why it was necessary. If your god is omnipotent and able to control his own rules, he could just forgive without death.

thepyro222
thepyro222
2,151 posts
Peasant

Why does that make a difference

Much like the early Jews would sacrifice a pure lamb, with no spots, pure white. The blood of a sinless man is the only thing that could bear all of the sins that God has put upon them.
wolf1991
wolf1991
3,440 posts
Farmer

Wolf's Link on Why Creation is Wrong.

Once more I have left for a few hours only to return to read through pages of bull****. Right now I feel like hurting about everyone who called evolution a religion.

I'm not going to go into a lot of detail for you, because I don't feel like wasting my go**** time trying to beat sense into people denser than lead!

So, allow me to clarify one last time.

1. Until there is a RATIONAL argument this is not a debate. I used to be on a debate team. Some idiot decided to use faith as an argument during one of the debates. Want to know what happened? He lost for not having an argument!

2. Evolution is a scientific theory based on fact. Hard to understand I know. The big bad scientist is trying to send you to the devil by making you THINK!

3. Jeol, stop either being deliberately stupid, or just plain stupid. It's trolling, it's annoying and it causes me to lose what little respect I had for you.

thisisnotanalt
thisisnotanalt
9,824 posts
Shepherd

I've said it once. Christianity is the only religion to give true salvation.

I am wondering if you believe that only because of your faith or if you have what you think is factual justification for that - ie something besides the Bible, as believing that is faith-based.
Showing 106-120 of 4668