ForumsWEPRTheism and Atheism

4668 1384321
thepyro222
thepyro222
2,151 posts
Peasant

I grew up atheist for 16 years. I had always kept an open mind towards religion, but never really felt a need to believe in it. My sister started going to a Wednesday night children's program at a church. Eventually, I was dragged into a Christmas Eve service. Scoffing, I reluctantly went, assuming that this was going to be a load of crap, but when I went, I felt something. Something that I've never felt before. I felt a sense of empowerment and a sense of calling. Jesus called upon my soul, just like he did with his disciples. he wanted me to follow him. Now, my life is being lived for Christ. He died on the cross for my sins, and the sins of everyone who believes in him. He was beaten, brutalized, struck with a whip 39 times, made to carry a cross up to the stage of his death. This I believe to be true, and I can never repay him for what he has done.
I still have my struggles with Christianity, but I've found this bit of information most useful. Religion is not comprehensible in the human mind, because we cannot comprehend the idea of a perfect and supreme being, a God, but we can believe it in our heart, and that's the idea of faith. Faith is, even though everything rides against me believing in Jesus, I still believe in him because I know that it's true in my heart. I invite my fellow Brothers and sisters of the LORD to talk about how Jesus has helped you in your life. No atheists and no insults please

• 4,668 Replies
darkxrainx
darkxrainx
25 posts
Nomad

I've got a very important question: Why does God want us to believe in him? Why is it that important that he would torture us forever and ever and ever? Did he create us to be worshipped?

Maybe he's lonely and wants to know that he is loved?? And maybe he knows that it's the best for us. Like if we didn't love our own mother, she would keep trying to make us love her.
MRWalker82
MRWalker82
4,005 posts
Shepherd

Maybe he's lonely and wants to know that he is loved??

Great, we have an omnipotent, omnipresent, omnibenevolent sky fairy who has self esteem issues....

And maybe he knows that it's the best for us.

Perhaps, perhaps not. However if you know what is best for someone you do everything in your power to make sure it happens. And, sadly, that is not what we see happening with God. If us believing in him and worshiping him is in our best interest and he has the power to make it happen and wants it to happen how can one explain why it is not taking place? Either he isn't real, doesn't really want to be worshiped, can't do what it takes to gain worship, or doesn't want us to be saved.

Like if we didn't love our own mother, she would keep trying to make us love her.

Sure, however any parent worth their salt would do everything, and I mean EVERYTHING in their power to protect and take care of their children. If this life and the so-called evidence of deities are the best this God can do then it either doesn't give a hoot or it isn't capable of doing whatever is necessary.
314d1
314d1
3,817 posts
Nomad

That doesn't justify killing. "I am lonely. Therefor, I should be able to know I am loved by forcing some girl against her will to have sex" doesn't work, that is called ****. So your god is basically raping our sols?

And maybe he knows that it's the best for us. Like if we didn't love our own mother, she would keep trying to make us love her.

But a mother wouldn't torture children for not believing in her. That would be cruel for a loving mother to do.
grimml
grimml
879 posts
Nomad

So God created us because he was lonely? Really?

And maybe he knows that it's the best for us.

Does it really matter if we believe in God? I can follow every rule of your religion and still not believe in God. So what's the point in faith?

Like if we didn't love our own mother, she would keep trying to make us love her.

My mother would NEVER say: Love me or I'll torture you... And if she said that, I wouldn't love her. I'd hate her...
Anyway, how are you supposed to love somebody you don't even know? How can I love somebody whose existence isn't even proven?
dair5
dair5
3,379 posts
Shepherd

Woah! What happened? No no no. God judges based on your heart, who you are as a person. I'm very certin Gandhi is happily in heaven right now. And anybody whose shamefully abused their power as a priest isn't.

SpazAttackerz
SpazAttackerz
70 posts
Nomad

Romans 3:5-8

But if our unrighteousness brings out God's righteousness more clearly, what shall we say? That God is unjust in bringing his wrath on us? Certainly not! If that were so, how could God judge the world? Someone might argue, "If falsehood enhances God;s truthfulness and so increases his glory, why am I still condemned as a sinner?" Why not say - as we are being slanderously reported as saying and as come claim that we say - "Let us do evil that good may result"? Their condemnation is deserved.

SpazAttackerz
SpazAttackerz
70 posts
Nomad

What confuses me is how athiests do not believe in a God, correct? Yet when bad things happen in the world, there is always God right there, for you to blame. When good things happen, its just the natural order of the universe.

Those are god's words, not man's words, you said so yourself.

The bible has no independent source, many people contributed to the works. If you call man speaking for God, on what they had experienced with God's teachings, "God's propaganda". Free Will, something God allowed us, and if he didn't you wouldn't be speaking to me about this, is something that all people who wrote in the Bible had.
SpazAttackerz
SpazAttackerz
70 posts
Nomad

Revelations 22:18-19

I warn everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this book: If anyone adds anything to them, God will add to him the plagues described in this book. And if anyone takes words away from this book of prophecy, God will take away from his share in the tree of life and in the holy city, which are described in this book.

Einfach
Einfach
1,448 posts
Nomad

Do estimate the probability. I haven't heard anything but "unlikely" from anyone of you.

0 - because God contradicts logic.
SpazAttackerz
SpazAttackerz
70 posts
Nomad

0 - because God contradicts logic.

Is there any logic to living when you think there is no where to go after death?
Einfach
Einfach
1,448 posts
Nomad

^ = What I mean is that

God exists OR God doesn't exist. The previous statement is a well-formed formula. The statement "God exists" is either true or false. And the statement God doesn't exist precludes God's existence, and God's existence precludes God's nonexistence. So here we can apply a classical logical system to God's existence.

Einfach
Einfach
1,448 posts
Nomad

Is there any logic to living when you think there is no where to go after death?

Is there any reason to live when you have to be subservient to a God that will send you to Hell if you don't believe in Him? When you have to insubordinate your mind and force into it that He is "above logic" and is not to be questioned?
SpazAttackerz
SpazAttackerz
70 posts
Nomad

On what bias would it stand upon?

Einfach
Einfach
1,448 posts
Nomad

On what bias would it stand upon?

Can you clarify what you mean here?
Einfach
Einfach
1,448 posts
Nomad

Clearly the religions that survive will be those with the most compelling accounts of what "really" happened.

Showing 1126-1140 of 4668