The Armor Games website will be down for maintenance on Monday 10/7/2024
starting at 10:00 AM Pacific time. We apologize for the inconvenience.

ForumsThe TavernOrganic Foods

14 2376
firetail_madness
firetail_madness
20,591 posts
Blacksmith

So we've all heard of the things people put in crops to make it grow faster and to prevent it from being destroyed by insects, so now there's this "organic food" that is supposedly healthier, but is it really? Is it worth the extra price? What are your opinions on organic foods?

ITT: Discuss organic foods and nutrition in general

• 14 Replies
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,253 posts
Regent

It's not only for your own personal health.. studies made for example in France support the hypothesis that pesticides, especially insecticides, significantly increase the risk of getting parkinson (though they have not found out at what doses exactly). Buying organic food supports farming methods that are less risky for the farmers themselves, since they get in touch with those products regularly. Also, pesticides have a huge impact on the environment and ecology, if you think only of all the insects, the not nuisible ones, that are touched by those; especially sensitive insects like bees get killed easily.
Oh, and I heard once they found traces of up to roughly thirteen different pesticides in the city air of Paris.. not saying anything about the dosis, but it was still enough to be detected.

My point is, buying organic food supports way more than only your health; if you care for such things I would say the price is worth it, as long as the price is not astronomical like it is sadly the case sometimes.

Squidbears
Squidbears
626 posts
Nomad

I would rather not pay more for food... i buy cheap things so i can actually do things i enjoy

shortay7562
shortay7562
134 posts
Nomad

Organic food have less of the uheathly additives/ pesticides in them, thus they have less fat, saturated fat, and trans fats which can be detremental to your health

TheGr8est
TheGr8est
703 posts
Nomad

much healthier and muchh much more exspensive

Legion1350
Legion1350
5,365 posts
Nomad

Think of this. Non-organic plants have pesticides. Pesticides kill insects. If it kills insects, why couldn't it be dangerous to us? We are virtually swallowing small amount of poison. They could be the cause for numerous mental disorders and birth defects. In my opinion, I'll take organic.

Keyara
Keyara
370 posts
Nomad

so now there's this "organic food"

It was around before pesticides and that. It is really nothing new. People just feel the need to differentiate it from other types. I grow stuff at my house that is considered organic. I don't know if it has any heath benefits or anything but, I see nothing different about it.
Organic foods are good, but they are way too expensive

If the government would subsidize the organic foods (they do subsidize others but not organic) the price would go down.
jets99
jets99
599 posts
Nomad

its way too expensive and chips and artificial flavors are the way to go

loloynage2
loloynage2
4,206 posts
Peasant

I buy most of my food organic. It's hard to buy all organic because of the price, but it's worth the money. I mean it's good for your...health. I mean money or life risks? And there is a great solution for the people that have a low budget. Eat less

knight_34
knight_34
13,817 posts
Farmer

I think organic food is splendid. I do think there should be a motivation to make a switch, which would most likely be lower cost. And organic food really isn't new. I'm still going to eat what I can afford though.

And there is a great solution for the people that have a low budget. Eat less

Eat less as in nothing? There really are some people that are quite hard pressed.
Kasic
Kasic
5,552 posts
Jester

All I have to say is...they taste the same about, so that's a moot point. They cost more, that's a downside. They are probably a "little" healthier for you, but i've never heard of anyone dying because they didn't buy all natural peanut butter.

Kevin4762
Kevin4762
2,420 posts
Nomad

I'll eat horse meat if I don't know what it is.

All I know is that buying brown eggs is good.

Kasic
Kasic
5,552 posts
Jester

I'll eat horse meat if I don't know what it is.

I'll eat horsemeat even if I know what it is, so long as it tastes good.

My mom is a health nut, so I know a bit second-hand about all the organic stuff, and i've never noticed a taste difference, and never felt any different for eating it instead of junk food.
farrowking37
farrowking37
610 posts
Nomad

i think organic food is ok, but i found it hard to switch. the food just isn't nearly as sweet as normal food, but that is because normal food has high fructose corn syrup in it.
hfc was the reason my dads made us switch, studies have proven that it it is bad for your body over time.

hitmanvp95
hitmanvp95
1,089 posts
Nomad

Where i live, organinc food is "normal food" and normal food is "artificial food". Oh and you can easily find organic food and it isn't that much expensive (actually, if you buy straight from the farmer it's cheaper).

Showing 1-14 of 14